PDA

View Full Version : Sotomayor- Stumbles Live on TV

ZombieKiller
07-15-2009, 6:59 AM
Anybody watching here try to answer the questions about "a person's right to self defense"?

dustoff31
07-15-2009, 7:10 AM
Well, I saw her trying to not answer the question.

She blabbed and stalled for so long the senator just gave up and moved on.

glockman19
07-15-2009, 7:14 AM
Great Entertainment.

She apparently does not know of Nordyke v King and the 9th circut's incorporation. It WILL be a case she hears if she is put on the bench.

M. D. Van Norman
07-15-2009, 7:46 AM
Judge Sotomayor seems to be well aware that a Second Amendment incorporation case will soon reach the Supreme Court.

Paradiddle
07-15-2009, 8:06 AM
What a pantload

---------------------

It was a battle of wits between GOP Sen. Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative senators, and the nominee. Who won? Tell us: @reply us on @AP_Courtside on Twitter.

Here's a capsule: Coburn, a strong advocate of individual gun ownership, found an intriguing way to question Sotomayor on that issue. First, he asked her how she could consider that the right to privacy (not mentioned in the Constitution) is settled law but the right to keep and bear arms (the Second Amendment) as unsettled.

Sotomayor started with her usual answer that judges don't make law. And she noted that the federal government and many states have laws restricting guns, such as possession of firearms by felons. Then the sparing got more interesting.

"Do I have a right to personal self-defense?" Coburn asked.

Sotomayor: "That's an abstract question."

Coburn: "That's what the public wants to know. Yes or no? Do we have that right?"

The judge thought for a moment, then came up with an answer based on her experience as a New York City prosecutor: "If there's a threat of serious injury you can use force. How imminent is the threat? If the threat is in this room and I go home get a gun and come back and shoot you, that may not be legal under New York law."

Coburn: "What the American people want to see is what your gut says."

Sotomayor said that's not how judges decide cases.

professorhard
07-15-2009, 8:09 AM
LOL I was hoping that she literally stumbled. And broke her neck

Maestro Pistolero
07-15-2009, 8:12 AM
LINKY?

megavolt121
07-15-2009, 8:14 AM
LINKY?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl699

dixieD
07-15-2009, 8:17 AM
I saw that. It was a good line of questioning, and she did stumble, but it won't matter. The only thing going for us now is that recorded confirmation votes tied to this lack of honest reasoning pertaining to the 2A will help in 2010.

nick
07-15-2009, 8:39 AM
Yep, it won't matter, and she will be confirmed, this is just a dog and pony show for the unwashed masses. Things being what they are (Democrat super majority, Republicans ranging from RINOs to very few ok ones (where 2A is concerned)), they could confirm a turd sandwich. In fact, they're about to.

Legasat
07-15-2009, 8:45 AM
The important point is that the Dems now have a super-majority (60 votes). The Repubs couldn't stop them from appointing this uber-liberal even if they stuck together (which of course they won't).

She's in, and we have to live with that.

Now we just have to pray that no other judges on the Supreme Court decide to retire while "the anointed one" is in power.

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-15-2009, 8:48 AM
She can't answer a single question without bull****ting.

dwtt
07-15-2009, 9:12 AM
She can't answer a single question without bull****ting.

This woman is horrible for the rights of Americans, but great for the rights of the oppressed masses victimized by the patriarchal system ruled by white men that sidelines minorities and deprives them of a voice in society :rolleyes:.
(I took a liberal arts class in college to satisfy the humanities requirement)
Along with the strengthening of liberal ideas with Soda-Meyer's confirmation will be an erosion of our constitutional rights. Like someone else said in another thread, we can thank those who voted for Change and Hope. :(

tiki
07-15-2009, 9:14 AM
I don't like her answers to Coburn. It is obvious where she still stands on firearms and how she plans to evade those questions. She is anti, has always been anti, will always be anti and will lie about it or evade questions to get her seat on SCOTUS.

bomb_on_bus
07-15-2009, 9:24 AM
This woman is horrible for the rights of Americans, but great for the rights of the oppressed masses victimized by the patriarchal system ruled by white men that sidelines minorities and deprives them of a voice in society :rolleyes:.
(I took a liberal arts class in college to satisfy the humanities requirement)
Along with the strengthening of liberal ideas with Soda-Meyer's confirmation will be an erosion of our constitutional rights. Like someone else said in another thread, we can thank those who voted for Change and Hope. :(

Change and hope indeed for the lazy, ingnorant, and poor!

bsim
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
It's all good. Soon 'white conservative gun owner' will be one of the 'oppressed'.

gazzavc
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Anarchy now...................or at least by tea-time. :rolleyes:

Aegis
07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Not really impressed. She definitely is a notch below in terms of ability from Roberts, Alito, Scalia and Thomas.

Sunwolf
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Affirmative action in action,don`t ya think?

TwitchALot
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
"Abstract" question? o_O

Should have asked her if I have a right to free speech first I guess...

Maestro Pistolero
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
The important point is that the Dems now have a super-majority (60 votes). The Repubs couldn't stop them from appointing this uber-liberal even if they stuck together (which of course they won't).

i don't believe all the Dems would support her. The Blue Dogs are rogue.

GuyW
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Another affirmative action recipient....

Swiss
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
The judge thought for a moment, then came up with an answer based on her experience as a New York City prosecutor: "If there's a threat of serious injury you can use force. How imminent is the threat? If the threat is in this room and I go home get a gun and come back and shoot you, that may not be legal under New York law."

Coburn: "What the American people want to see is what your gut says."

Sotomayor said that's not how judges decide cases.

If the threat is in the room, and you leave the room to arm yourself, I can easily see it being illegal to come back to the room and shoot someone. I wasn't listening to the hearings so I'm simply responding in the context of Paradiddle's post.

PatriotnMore
07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I think we all know these type of judge(s) were going to be the choices of the current administration, if it isn't her, it would be someone just like her.

The best I can hope for is that, this is the last Obama nomination, due to no more seats coming available and, Obama is a one hit wonder in his Presidency.

Quiet
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Judge Sotomayor was on the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals panel that heard the Maloney v. Cuomo case and determined the Second Amendment is not incorporated.

cactustactical
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
On Youtube:

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8BNX1X-uKA

Art
www.SecondAmendmentTaskForce.com

cactustactical
07-15-2009, 1:02 PM
Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkKSyd9LbQ

cactustactical
07-15-2009, 1:26 PM

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFPQeCVgrk

glbtrottr
07-15-2009, 2:28 PM
God I despise people who are so blatantly dishonest and skew and esquive questions for purposes of passing their own personal agendas affecting millions of lives. The woman simply makes my stomach turn and want to barf. She's a disgrace to Hispanics.

Beelzy
07-15-2009, 3:32 PM
She's a disgrace to Hispanics.

You got that right esay!

JoeC
07-15-2009, 5:51 PM
She's a disgrace to Hispanics.

Well you obviously hate hispanics and want to see them crushed under a heal of oppression. Racist!

Probably a republican. Ppfff

radioburning
07-15-2009, 6:29 PM
Hmmm, the term "B.S. Artist" comes to mind...