View Full Version : No CCW for you Sac county

07-15-2009, 4:42 AM
In an amazing turn of events, the supervisors of Sac County have coughed or puked up another 10 million of taxpayer money to keep CCW's out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Great.... this has got to be one of the sickest examples of out and out extortion I have ever seen. What is the status of that lawsuit Gene this S*** has got to end.

70 deputies' jobs saved
Buzz up!
By Robert Lewis
Published: Wednesday, Jul. 15, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 22A

Barraged by public criticism, the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors ordered staff Tuesday to find $10 million to restore 70 sheriff's deputies' jobs.

Small-business owners, concerned residents, social workers, firefighters, advocates, and deputies both young and old packed the board chambers and spilled into the lobby, pleading with the supervisors in a two-hour hearing.

Ken Berling, a Carmichael resident, warned that people and businesses would flee if the board didn't find more money for the Sheriff's Department.

"You're going to have pockets of little ghost towns around the area," Berling said.

Deputy Chris Huffman elicited loud applause when he called for cutting social programs to save public safety jobs.

"If, as the county executive would have us believe, we are truly out of money, then I would say that the time for massive social programs and taxpayer-supported giveaways has to come to an end," he said.

"Your primary responsibility has to be the safety and well-being of those you are sworn to serve. There is no greater responsibility for any government than to ensure its people are secure."

The extraordinary hearing was held as the five supervisors returned from summer recess after balancing a $2 billion general fund budget in late June. They had spent weeks in workshops and hearings grappling with a $180 million general fund shortfall.

During the break, Sheriff John McGinness announced he had miscalculated the full impact of his funding cuts, saying he would have to lay off more than 200 deputies gutting patrol services, crippling investigations and eliminating public safety programs.

"It's a horrible state of affairs," McGinness told the board Tuesday. "My fear is that we're decimating the Sheriff's Department."

The board agreed, voting to reduce the number of layoff notices to deputies by 70. As a result, 132 sworn deputies will receive layoff notices, effective Aug. 1.

"The news for the public, I think, is very good," McGinness said.

He said the supervisors' action would mean he could keep patrol staff at current levels. He will, however, need to ground helicopters, cut Problem Oriented Police units and return SWAT and canine officers to patrol.

During the hearing, some lashed out at the board and administrators for the budget mess. Andrew Croley, a sheriff's watch supervisor, called the massive layoffs particularly in his department a failure of leadership.

"If public safety is your No. 1 priority, prove it," Croley told the board.

While ultimately supportive of the Sheriff's Department, the supervisors were critical of the numbers McGinness had given them throughout this year's budget process.

In early June, McGinness said he'd have to lay off 370 workers, including 300 deputies, based on his budget allocation.

During later budget hearings, McGinness told the board he'd need to lay off more than 420 employees.

After the board restored $12.5 million in funding and the deputies union agreed to $10.6 million worth of concessions the sheriff said he could reduce those layoffs to between 130 and 140 deputies.

But Tuesday, McGinness said that the 130-140 figure was misunderstood during the June hearing, and that he meant 176 sworn officers would lose their jobs.

"I'm just really uncomfortable with the bouncing numbers here," board chairwoman Susan Peters told the sheriff.

After virtually no discussion, the board voted unanimously to reduce the number of layoff notices to sworn officers by 70 and directed staff to come back July 28 with a plan for restoring $10 million to the Sheriff's Department.

The department started sending out layoff notices to deputies Monday night, said Kevin Mickelson, president of the Sacramento County Deputy Sheriffs' Association. Some of those will be rescinded, he said.

Officials aren't sure where the extra $10 million will be found. Because there's no new revenue and the supervisors have raided reserves and other available pots of money, the funds will likely come from another department.

07-15-2009, 6:35 AM
Uhm...why didn't those same people packing the hearing simply say to hell with the deputies give us our CCW's?

07-15-2009, 8:04 AM
Probably because the majority of the public doesnt give a rats-*** about CCW and believe the guvment should protect them.

07-15-2009, 8:25 AM
Probably because the majority of the public doesnt give a rats-*** about CCW and believe the guvment should protect them.

Exactly. We HAVE to realize that while sacrosanct here, the "rest" of CA doesn't care a wit about them and in fact are scared to death of the idea.

Politicians (at large) hate the idea
Police agencies (at least the top of the food chain) hates the idea
and the people (at large) HATE and are PETRIFIED by the idea.
The "right" to carry a gun on the streets is NOT protected by our State or Federal Constitutions.
What else can I say? (other than we should marshal our resources for battles elsewhere.)

07-15-2009, 8:30 AM
The right to keep and bear arms is general and meant to be. I read it to mean that I have the right to bear arms as I go about my normal business, be it in my home, my business, on the sidewalk, or on the streets. Of course there are laws on the books that (illegally) infringe on that right.