PDA

View Full Version : What's with the ghetto birds?

locosway
07-15-2009, 12:42 AM
So, I'm in West Anaheim in the unincorporated island annex serviced by OCSD and CHP. Outside of the response times sucking and the confusion of who's supposed to take what reports I'd like to know why every day there is an Anaheim PD helicopter about 500-700 feet over head? Sometimes they circle, sometimes they hover. No matter what though, they're there every day.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but it seems they're trying to wake up my son from his nap every day. I've thought about complaining, or perhaps asking if I should be worried about someone trying to run through my backyard in an escape attempt.

Anyone have suggestions or should I just deal with it since it's likely something out of my control?

Glock Fan
07-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Dude that's funny you say that cause my girlfriend lives in Anaheim also near the 57 and Lincoln and almost every night/afternoon the damn heli circles for what seems like ten minutes! We've often wondered WTF do they do this everyday?!

An answer would be awesome to this! :)

locosway
07-15-2009, 1:05 AM
I'm almost thinking they keep that thing in the air for most of the day for support to ground units. Sounds expensive though... Maybe Dland covers some of their costs since they have the city in their pocket. I rarely see them use their spotlight, so perhaps they're only using FLIR to assist.

Hopefully an Anaheim PD member can give us some info! :)

retired
07-15-2009, 7:18 PM
Instead of complaining or wondering about your safety, why don't you just call the PD and ask them.:)

When you say every day this occurs, does it occur around the same time or is it random. If it is random, it is probably acting as support for a field unit that is on a call or stop. If it is the same time every single day, it could be some type of training.

I don't know that you will be provided the info by calling, but nothing ventured, nothing gained right.:)

scootergmc
07-15-2009, 7:52 PM
It is common for air units, especially helicopters, to assist other agencies. Just because it says Anaheim PD doesn't mean it's restricted to Anaheim airspace.

BTW, just deal with it.

SoCalDep
07-15-2009, 7:57 PM
Maybe it lands near your house.

tyrist
07-15-2009, 9:04 PM
I am pretty sure Anaheim PD helicopter helps the smaller surrounding agencies and departments. If the helicopter is always in your general area it's probably because suspects are running from the cops daily. I would move if I were you.

gumby
07-15-2009, 9:14 PM
I used to work for station 26 (APD) and now work for station 18 (OCSD). You live in the Gaza strip--lots of Arab businesses hence the name. The choppers during daylight hours are supposed to fly at 700ft. and 1700ft at night.

SkyStorm82
07-15-2009, 9:14 PM
Be happy that your area has an airship to assist field units. It can make catching ****heads a lot easier.

One of my buddies had to work the desk one night and some lady calls to complain about the noise our airship was making. We had a containment set up looking for a burglary suspect. Our airship caught him moving between houses so we were able to take him into custody.

Canute
07-15-2009, 9:16 PM
I've been seeing one around Campbell a lot too. A friend lives in the Florin area of Sac. I've seen ghetto birds flying circles over stopped cars there. As in right over the power lines. I should have snapped a shot of that.

locosway
07-15-2009, 9:58 PM
Yeah, we're on the Gaza strip here... The food is great! :)

I'll deal with it if I know it's actually working, but if it's just training they can do it some place else.

700' and 1700' are right, and I also know they help other agencies. It just seems there's no police activity in the area where they're circling.

I'll probably just email the department, but I don't expect to get an answer from them.

scootergmc
07-15-2009, 9:59 PM
They're just waiting to land at Fullerton. That's all. They hang out over your area because they're killing time and are most likely to pick up some action while waiting... :D

And there's no such thing as "just training" with a helicopter. Life limited parts and the ungodly expense of normal operation (not including budget cutbacks) makes every flight an operations/training mission. ;)

locosway
07-15-2009, 10:04 PM
They're just waiting to land at Fullerton. That's all. They hang out over your area because they're killing time and are most likely to pick up some action while waiting... :D

And there's no such thing as "just training" with a helicopter. Life limited parts and the ungodly expense of normal operation (not including budget cutbacks) makes every flight an operations/training mission. ;)

I've seen "Angel" do some training quick descents near the Stadium, so I know they DO sometimes still train.

gumby
07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, they do train and the last I heard they land in central Anaheim off Vermont street.

scootergmc
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I've seen "Angel" do some training quick descents near the Stadium, so I know they DO sometimes still train.

I'm not saying the don't train, I'm saying there's no such thing as "just training." If they're airborne and they're needed, they'll interrupt and go.

scootergmc
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, they do train and the last I heard they land in central Anaheim off Vermont street.

Anaheim PD air operations are based at the City of Fullerton Airport.

non sequitur
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
If the air unit isn't actively supporting a ground unit, then the pilot & air officer are just filling squares...

Scratch705
07-16-2009, 1:18 AM
had that a few times around my neck of the woods, where the chopper would circle with spotlight on every night around the same time, with same circle pattern. happened for a week straight, then no more.

never figured out what they were doing, since i know walnut sheriffs don't have air support. and my city doesn't even have a PD.

Canute
07-16-2009, 1:25 AM
I wonder if their coms are in the clear.

retired
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
since i know walnut sheriffs don't have air support. and my city doesn't even have a PD.

Unless things have changed, Walnut/Diamond Bar station does have air support from the Sheriff's Dept. Aero Bureau. I worked that station when it was called Walnut/San Dimas starting in 1987 when it opened, until 1997, when I was promoted.

Generally, IIRC, it was ARGUS, which also patrolled Industry Station, adjacent to us and another former station I worked. All Dept. stations have air support from the Dept. Aero Bureau; it's always been that way as far as I know.

Walnut and Diamond Bar are contract cities, which are provided le service by LASD, so you are correct that it doesn't have its own PD. It has been that way since the inception of both cities. As a matter of fact, I worked DB long before it became a city and it has always been patrolled by LASD.

Contract cities usually contract with the Dept. because of the cost to have their own dept. Hope that cleared it up for you a little bit.:)

sorensen440
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
So how long have you been seeing "helocopters" circling your house ???? :p

locosway
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, they aren't circling with me in the center, but during their circle they cross our backyard. 700 feet is pretty low and during the summer with all of the windows open it wakes up my son.

Like I said, if they're looking for someone or actively patrolling a high crime area then I have no problem with it. I don't think a helicopter is as discreet as a slick top unit, but if they say it works then I'm all for it.

The only thing I would have an issue with is if they're staging to land or waiting for a call. Simply because I'd rather not have the noise here if it's not needed.

CnCFunFactory
07-21-2009, 1:59 AM
Maybe the pilot lives in the area or a relative and he's just doing a flyby to check the house/neighborhood. Maybe there has been an increase in residential robberies during that time period.... call and find out.

Curtis
07-21-2009, 4:17 AM
I grew up in Anaheim in the house my parents still live in. My brother lives in the same exact unincorporated area along Gilbert. In my parent's area the PD uses the lights and load speakers to clear the park down the street from their house. I think they check the park every night and clear out the trouble makers this way. It is typically between 10 pm and 11 pm.

When my boys were young we would purposely vacuum or other noise making activities during nap time and at night. Everyone is amazed they don't wake up when all four dogs are going crazy or some other noise issue. In my opinion, putting your kids in a completely quiet room to sleep is the worst thing a parent can do for their mental health.

SkyStorm82
07-21-2009, 5:08 AM
Why do you think it's bad for thier mental health?

Z ME FLY
07-21-2009, 6:39 AM
Why do you think it's bad for thier mental health?

Maybe because when you get older, you will have problems sleeping. When I was little, I could go to sleep with my brother blasting the stereo next to my head. You just get use to it and now if a place is a bit loud and I am trying to sleep, it isn't a big problem.

locosway
07-21-2009, 7:09 AM
I don't put my kids to sleep in completely quiet rooms. When my son naps it's in the living room and the TV is sometimes on. Also my two older daughters are NEVER quiet, and along with my German Shepherd trying to jump over the wall in the backyard to attack who ever won't leave her alone it's far from quiet.

However, a helicopter doing an aggressive turn gives off a lot of noise from the pitch of the rotors. More times than not this will wake up my son.

bden
08-06-2009, 1:06 AM
Why do they always circle rather than hover? I've been wondering that almost ever since I moved to Sac from the Bay Area where they don't have the ghetto birds. I've yet to get a straight answer.

TurboS600
08-06-2009, 1:10 AM
Why do they always circle rather than hover? I've been wondering that almost ever since I moved to Sac from the Bay Area where they don't have the ghetto birds. I've yet to get a straight answer.

Reader's Digest condensed version: A lot easier to fly when moving forward and more fuel efficient, too. Also, if there is a loss of power and you are hovering, you are totally screwed. If you are moving you can autorotate to a landing spot and put it down w/o crashing.

bden
08-06-2009, 1:17 AM
Reader's Digest condensed version: A lot easier to fly when moving forward and more fuel efficient, too. Also, if there is a loss of power and you are hovering, you are totally screwed. If you are moving you can autorotate to a landing spot and put it down w/o crashing.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response. Didn't imagine it'd be that simple/straight forward!

retired
08-06-2009, 4:17 PM
I don't know if this is an additional one, but being a moving target is probably better than just staying in one spot if there is anyone on the ground trying to shoot at the chopper.

Ron-Solo
08-06-2009, 4:54 PM

As a former helicopter observer.............What he said.

I didn't get it until the pilot explained it to me that I'd just better get used to going in circles cause he was NOT going to hover in an aircraft built and maintained by the lowest bidder. :43: