PDA

View Full Version : CCW Requirement In OC

ontargetrange
07-14-2009, 7:33 PM
As some of you may know there is a requirement that you must own a specific book as part of the requirements to obtain a CCW from the OC Sheriff -- this is a sole sourced document and it in limited supply.

I need to ask this collective body what other books/pdf's/docs, or anything might be considered practical reading for one to own and use as a study guide to be "knowledgable" about the firearm laws in Kalifornia. The document(s) need to be available to anyone at any time for free or at a nominal cost.

Totaly open for input here as I am trying to get changes made to the system within the next few weeks.

M198
07-14-2009, 8:25 PM
It not free but How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2007 (Paperback) (http://www.amazon.com/How-Own-Gun-Stay-Jail/dp/0964286440/ref=ed_oe_p)

Shotgun Man
07-14-2009, 10:06 PM
As some of you may know there is a requirement that you must own a specific book as part of the requirements to obtain a CCW from the OC Sheriff -- this is a sole sourced document and it in limited supply.

I need to ask this collective body what other books/pdf's/docs, or anything might be considered practical reading for one to own and use as a study guide to be "knowledgable" about the firearm laws in Kalifornia. The document(s) need to be available to anyone at any time for free or at a nominal cost.

Totaly open for input here as I am trying to get changes made to the system within the next few weeks.

What is the book that your required to own in OC to get a CCW? Why's it in short supply? Sorry for my ignorance.

HondaMasterTech
07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
It not free but How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2007 (Paperback) (http://www.amazon.com/How-Own-Gun-Stay-Jail/dp/0964286440/ref=ed_oe_p)

+1 .

Glock Fan
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Never heard of such a thing!

Doheny
07-14-2009, 10:30 PM

That's the book he's talking about that currently is required as part of the CCW class in OC. I think he's asking is there anything else that would be of help.

smokingloon
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
That's the book he's talking about that currently is required as part of the CCW class in OC. I think he's asking is there anything else that would be of help.

From what I hear, the publisher is somehow tied to a CCW instructor.
If this CCW instructor can block the other instructors from getting this book, then he has the market for the ccw traning.

Glock Fan
07-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Check out www.calccw.com there is always some good info there

Doheny
07-15-2009, 12:10 AM
From what I hear, the publisher is somehow tied to a CCW instructor.
If this CCW instructor can block the other instructors from getting this book, then he has the market for the ccw traning.

All the CCW instructors use the book and it's sold at various ranges, so it's not hard to get.

But yes, I know the situation you speak of.

bladerunner747
07-22-2009, 8:25 PM
that book is available from a lot of sources in the internet, even Amazon has it. Can't see any one person being able to restrict its sale.

erik
07-22-2009, 8:42 PM

"How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2008 (Paperback)" with the 2009 update stickers.
(http://www.gunlawpress.com/)

hottoysonwheels
07-22-2009, 8:48 PM
What are the qualifications to get CCW specifically in OC?

locosway
07-22-2009, 8:55 PM
My old boss had/has a CCW and he said he had to show that he would regularly make withdraws of $20,000 for his weekend Vegas trips. Also most of his friends had to write a character reference letter to the Sheriff stating that we believed he was an awesome dude and all that jazz. Basically he said it was a nightmare, but well worth it.

hottoysonwheels
07-22-2009, 8:59 PM
My old boss had/has a CCW and he said he had to show that he would regularly make withdraws of $20,000 for his weekend Vegas trips. Also most of his friends had to write a character reference letter to the Sheriff stating that we believed he was an awesome dude and all that jazz. Basically he said it was a nightmare, but well worth it.

Are you serious...? That's pretty lame and subjective requirements. Is there a web site that lists all requirements to get CCW permit in OC?

locosway
07-22-2009, 9:01 PM
Supposedly personal defense is not a good reason, but isn't that what it always boils down to? Granted he MAY be more likely to be robbed, especially the way he flaunts his money, but there shouldn't be a discrimination in who is more likely or who should be able to defend themselves.

yellowfin
07-22-2009, 9:20 PM
Remember you have to deal with a despotic 3rd world dictator down in OC at the moment. That's your main obstacle. As one of my favorite sales trainers once said, "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jims and the Joes."

locosway
07-22-2009, 9:22 PM
This was back when Carona was going out and she was just coming in to replace him.

vrand
07-22-2009, 9:29 PM
Remember you have to deal with a despotic 3rd world dictator down in OC at the moment. That's your main obstacle. As one of my favorite sales trainers once said, "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jims and the Joes."

Sad but true :(

U2BassAce
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Are you serious? I have seen that book in just about every gunshop I have been to including your establishment. So what is the deal? Did you not order enough of them? Maybe you can run down to Turners and pick some up?

Why don't you just print off the California PC regarding firearms and be done with it? Oh wait and relevant case law too. Never mind, it is already being done in a (sorry to say) for profit published book.

I have to say the book is well written. Maybe conservative in some areas. But it will keep the average Joe out of the slammer. I wish we had a real number on how many gun owners have been saved from inadvertently breaking the convoluted California gun laws because of this book.

glbtrottr
07-23-2009, 4:57 AM
Hm. I bought mine online. Didn't have to go through a CCW instructor...

GunSlut
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
All you need to do is call the Publisher John Machtinger at 310-473-4720. He has thousands in stock.

CCWI orders them just like everybody else. He doesn't even mention in class that he is mentioned in the book. I just took the renewal class last month from him.

So whats the real problem here? This book is required in several counties CCW training.

1BigPea
07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Are you serious...? That's pretty lame and subjective requirements. Is there a web site that lists all requirements to get CCW permit in OC?

Yep, go here.

www.calccw.com

Right now in OC it's pretty much impossible to get a CCW unless there are outstanding circumstances that your life is in constant danger. Even with that, she wants her deputies to protect you, so keep your phone close at hand. :rolleyes: