PDA

View Full Version : Question for our SWAT guys...

badicedog
07-14-2009, 6:58 PM
I had a great conversation with a SWAT buddy of mine re: physiologic reactions the body has during 'high stress' situations(shoot-out, combat, high stress). i.e., loss of fine motor skills, temp loss of speech, vision acuity, decreased or loss of hearing etc. A story came up about how SWAT guys sometimes take a 'Battlecr*p' prior to serving high risk warrants or going into a high stress situation. I first thought he was pulling my leg so I'm posting here (for fun) to hear any other stories or find out if this is true.:43:

1911su16b870
07-14-2009, 8:18 PM
The Battlecr*p is for real! 25% of folks in life-n-death fights soil themselves, hence the reason for venting the bowels prior to fighting.

sgtbuck
07-14-2009, 8:42 PM
:eek: I was a LEO for over 15 years and was in some major S&^% and never took or even heard of a BC????? My son was also in combat in Iraq in 2004 and is back there now. I sent him an email to see if he has heard of it. I do know it is true you can soil yourself or pee your pants but never heard of someone taking a BC before a high risk sit.

eltee
07-14-2009, 9:30 PM
Mainly we use the John prior to going on an operation because we don't know how long we'll be tied up. I never heard the expression Battlecr*p in my area but I guess it is certainly possible. Also, after we suit up with armor, tactical gunbelt with suspenders, a roll of flex cuffs, etc. etc. it is a pain to go to the John. We'd all just hit it at the station or staging area before we suited up.

socaldsal
07-14-2009, 9:30 PM
Some folks just like running with a clean chamber top and bottom?

Never crapped myself on my deployment or at home, except once when I was down with the schetts, straining my t-rex like arms for an ammo can, but I don't think that counts as the "Oh CRAP!" crap.

nobody33
07-14-2009, 9:53 PM
Check out the book "on combat." It talks about that stuff. And losing control of various bodily functions is very real. It's not something that happens regularly... it's something that happens when your life is flashing before your eyes type of thing. Thankfully, most cops will never experience that situation.

Apparently it happened to a lot of people at ground zero.

J_B
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
it's something that happens when your life is flashing before your eyes type of thing. Thankfully, most cops will never experience that situation.

I heard of it and thankfully it didn't happen to me!! Although I did have to pee something fierce afterwards so maybe that was it.

510shooter510
07-15-2009, 7:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea if you ask me. Never heard of it though. It is probably more of an unspoken thing in most departments.

Frijolito1988
07-15-2009, 7:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

I've never heard of this, and will make sure to poop right before any SHTF situation arrises. I DO NOT want to soil my self and get a rash.

1911su16b870
07-15-2009, 9:54 AM
Check out the book "on combat." It talks about that stuff. And losing control of various bodily functions is very real. It's not something that happens regularly... it's something that happens when your life is flashing before your eyes type of thing. Thankfully, most cops will never experience that situation.

+1 Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and Loren Christensen On Combat page 15.

The most imporant message in this from the book is:

1. Keep fighting (even if you are wet)
2. Realize if you have fluids in your bladder/bowels and are in a life and death situation, that it can happen and see 1.

fullrearview
07-15-2009, 9:54 AM

Beat me to it!

eltee
07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I did have some concerns about an "accident" during Taser training so a potty call prior was my plan. I did NOT want to hear shouts of, "Hey...LT **** his pants...!" :eek:

They said people don't lose bowel/bladder control when zapped, but ...

I remember an expression from a WWII soldier describing how fear was so great that the G.I.'s , "... could not hold wind or water.." during the more hellish times in combat.

EOD3
07-15-2009, 1:15 PM
Talk about a pile of crap (pun intended). Next we'll be hearing about DSB increasing reaction time. :D

gunsmithcats
07-15-2009, 7:12 PM
Remember to breathe, and no matter what happens, stay in the fight.

07-22-2009, 10:40 PM
1st I highly reccommend the books by LtCol. Grossman, "On Killing & On Combat" they are both heavy reads but they discuss the things the body faces during moments of high stress...

It is something many combat vets have seen or heard of but it is seldom discussed. It seems to be embarrassing when in reality it is natural. Unpleasant to be sure but it can and does happen.

Before a hit I have a tendency to hydrate a lot. I never know how long I may be out and I don't want to go man down because of hydration issues. However, that means I have to take a serious piss when my body calls. I do try to make sure my bodily function issues are done before we go mobile but sometimes I end up watering a local bush (thank God for tall hedges).

But if nothing else I recognize that my body might get away from me. I think I can live with the embarrassment...the key being I am LIVING with it.

Just a thought from behind the Orange Curtain.

BigEd925
07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Not a SWAT guy, but a medical guy.

When your sympathetic nervous system takes over (fight or flight) and your body is pumped with epinephrine (adrenaline) blood flow decreases to the digestive system. Digestion is halted and blood is guided to essential organs (heart, lungs, brain). Not saying that may stop your Battlecr*p but physiologically it shouldnt happen.

badicedog
07-23-2009, 4:33 AM
I'm also a medical guy, you are referring to 'fight or flight' syndrome. I dont think this is the same. It's more like when 'your life flashes before your eyes' type of thing. Under extreme stress.

AJAX22
07-23-2009, 4:40 AM
I dunno about combat, but I always pinch a loaf before heavy exercise...

Just one less thing to worry about.

MIB
07-23-2009, 6:52 AM
I had a great conversation with a SWAT buddy of mine re: physiologic reactions the body has during 'high stress' situations(shoot-out, combat, high stress). i.e., loss of fine motor skills, temp loss of speech, vision acuity, decreased or loss of hearing etc. A story came up about how SWAT guys sometimes take a 'Battlecr*p' prior to serving high risk warrants or going into a high stress situation. I first thought he was pulling my leg so I'm posting here (for fun) to hear any other stories or find out if this is true.:43:

Never heard of this before. We use the head before an op just like you do before a long car drive, but this is new to me. But like Han Solo said, "They'll follow standard procedure and dump their garbage before going to hyperspace."

timdps
07-23-2009, 9:31 AM
+1

When I used to race bicycles (long ago...) my body would tell me to get that stuff out NOW before starting the race. There would always be a long line for the nearest john before a race...

tim

I dunno about combat, but I always pinch a loaf before heavy exercise...

Just one less thing to worry about.

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 9:34 AM
I must have a battle crap every morning after drinking my first cup of coffee. :)

Not a SWAT guy, but a medical guy.

When your sympathetic nervous system takes over (fight or flight) and your body is pumped with epinephrine (adrenaline) blood flow decreases to the digestive system. Digestion is halted and blood is guided to essential organs (heart, lungs, brain). Not saying that may stop your Battlecr*p but physiologically it shouldnt happen.

NorCal MedTac
07-23-2009, 2:49 PM
In 8 or so years of being a medic (and over a decade of EMS) I have only seen maybe 3 people that have **** themselves in traumatic incidents. That being said I was a distance swimmer in college and can often remember that after the adrenaline dump I would be ready to **** just following races all the time. Figure it had something to do with the rest of your systems coming back online after being "dormant".