PDA

View Full Version : Mini 30 Bull Barrel

kalguns
07-14-2009, 9:34 AM
It putting a match grade bull barrel on a Mini 30 equal to putting lipstick on a pig?

socomIInato
07-14-2009, 9:59 AM
pretty close, gun is not a pig, but the round is. my 2 cents

El Gato
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Love the round...esp. handloaded... has a good mid range potential...
think semi auto 30-30...almost
with a good barrel the mini 30 would be sweet...
but maybe not bull... maybe just a good lightweight 16 in barrel...
with the right loads mine will shoot inside an inch... with a good barrel...hmmmm....

dfletcher
07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I'll qualify my "yes" vote by adding that unless something is done to the rifle regarding bedding I think it's kind of a waste. Accuracy Systems does a three point bedding for $90.00, fitting a heavier barrel plus the bedding would probably get you a very good shooter. I sent my skinny barreled 5.56 to them for a new .625 barrel and some other stuff (bedding, threaded muzzle) and hope to go from "minute of pie" to "minute of cupcake".

Maltese Falcon
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Better spend your cash on a M1A. I did exactly that to my Mini-30 SS Ranch with all the bells and whistles (Stainless, fluted Barrel with quiet brake, bedded stock, trigger job, M1A style rear sight, Fiber optic front sight, extended mag release). Kinda pricey from Accuracy Systems when I was a dweeb noob. It is now a fine, accurate fun shooting firearm which I will keep as the ammo costs are low.

However, knowing what I know now, I much rather have the M1A.

dfletcher
07-15-2009, 7:40 AM
Better spend your cash on a M1A. I did exactly that to my Mini-30 SS Ranch with all the bells and whistles (Stainless, fluted Barrel with quiet brake, bedded stock, trigger job, M1A style rear sight, Fiber optic front sight, extended mag release). Kinda pricey from Accuracy Systems when I was a dweeb noob. It is now a fine, accurate fun shooting firearm which I will keep as the ammo costs are low.

However, knowing what I know now, I much rather have the M1A.

Too late - already had a Loaded and have had a Scout now for a while. Love the Scout, couldn't really get to liking the Loaded for some reason, although it was a nice and well made gun. I think I tend to like the semi autos for fun and (hopefully" some "sorta accurate" shooting, but am more comfortable with bolt and single shots for real accurate shooting.

Accuracy Systems is high, I kept it as cheap as I could. Old pencil barrel was the worst, wandering 5" groups. I'd have been happy with just the new heavier factory barrel actually, but I also wanted a brake just for the hell of it. I wanted to keep my current laminated stock with a cheekpiece attached, current trigger is very nice as I d & t'd an overtravel screw to it. Weren't for that it would probably have made more sense to just buy a new one.

chsk9
07-15-2009, 8:48 AM
Send you mini to greatwestern gunsmithing up in Oregon... he did a awesome job on my 20 some year old stainless ranch rifle.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/welcome.htm