PDA

View Full Version : ar-15 magazine question.

JY25
07-14-2009, 8:02 AM
Can I have a friend in another state ship me used 30 round magazines dis-assembled? I checked over the penal code and ccr's, All I find is nothing over 10 round capacity and nothing about being permanently modified magazine, It just cant accept over 10 rounds. Thanks

professionalcoyotehunter
07-14-2009, 8:04 AM
Only as kits and you are fine.

THT
07-14-2009, 8:15 AM
As a kit, yes. But you may not reassemble it as that would be manufacturing a large capacity magazine. However, you can pin them to 10rds without issue.

JY25
07-14-2009, 8:31 AM
Thanks. That is my exact intention is to pin them to only accept 10 rounds.

Saym14
07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
or you can use the parts to rebuild hi cap mags that you legally owned pre-ban is my understanding.

reidnez
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
or you can use the parts to build hi cap mags that you legally owned pre-ban is my understanding.

That is also correct. The other rules still apply: said pre-ban magazines, or rebuilds thereof, can only be used in featureless rifles or registered AW's.

Omega13device
07-14-2009, 2:42 PM
"NO's" for large-capacity magazines

Use with a bullet button or fixed magazine build --> NO NO NO NO NO
Manufacture one --> NO
Cause one to be manufactured --> NO
Import --> NO
Sell --> NO
Offer for sale --> NO
Expose for sale --> NO
Give to someone --> NO
Lend to someone --> NO (unless you stay with them at all times)

"Yes's"

Possess --> YES
Possess (with dated mag bodies) --> YES
Possess (with LEO-marked mag bodies) --> YES
Use in a "featureless", detachable magazine build of a semi-auto, centerfire rifle --> YES
Use in a Registered AW --> YES
Use in a different rifle than you bought it for (e.g., AR mags in a non-AR) --> YES (assuming it's not a fixed-mag build)
Use in any rimfire rifle (regardless of features) --> YES
Use in any non-semi-automatic (bolt-action, single shot, pump) centerfire rifle (regardless of features) --> YES
Repair with new parts --> YES
Repair with new parts, replacing all of the parts in the process --> YES
Take a legally possessed large-cap magazine out of CA (for whatever reason you want, hunting, competition, whatever), and then bring it back --> YES
Buy one and have it shipped to a location outside of CA and leave it there --> YES, provided this is compliant with the other state's laws
Purchase repair parts, in disassembled form, and use them to repair or replace legally owned large-capacity magazines --> YES (provided that you do not create new magazines; you must end up with the same number you started with, anything more constitutes manufacturing)
Purchase repair parts, in disassembled form, and use them to make 10-round ("10/20" or "10/30") magazines

justinjames
07-14-2009, 2:53 PM
"NO's" for large-capacity magazines

Use with a bullet button or fixed magazine build --> NO NO NO NO NO
Manufacture one --> NO
Cause one to be manufactured --> NO
Import --> NO
Sell --> NO
Offer for sale --> NO
Expose for sale --> NO
Give to someone --> NO
Lend to someone --> NO (unless you stay with them at all times)

"Yes's"

Possess --> YES
Possess (with dated mag bodies) --> YES
Possess (with LEO-marked mag bodies) --> YES
Use in a "featureless", detachable magazine build of a semi-auto, centerfire rifle --> YES
Use in a Registered AW --> YES
Use in a different rifle than you bought it for (e.g., AR mags in a non-AR) --> YES (assuming it's not a fixed-mag build)
Use in any rimfire rifle (regardless of features) --> YES
Use in any non-semi-automatic (bolt-action, single shot, pump) centerfire rifle (regardless of features) --> YES
Repair with new parts --> YES
Repair with new parts, replacing all of the parts in the process --> YES
Take a legally possessed large-cap magazine out of CA (for whatever reason you want, hunting, competition, whatever), and then bring it back --> YES
Buy one and have it shipped to a location outside of CA and leave it there --> YES, provided this is compliant with the other state's laws
Purchase repair parts, in disassembled form, and use them to repair or replace legally owned large-capacity magazines --> YES (provided that you do not create new magazines; you must end up with the same number you started with, anything more constitutes manufacturing)
Purchase repair parts, in disassembled form, and use them to make 10-round ("10/20" or "10/30") magazines

you can also have them if you aquired them before the ban but you were a minor, correct.

Librarian
07-14-2009, 3:14 PM
you can also have them if you aquired them before the ban but you were a minor, correct.

Yes. No age limit to buy or own magazines.

Quiet
07-14-2009, 5:32 PM
I checked over the penal code and ccr's, All I find is nothing over 10 round capacity and nothing about being permanently modified magazine, It just cant accept over 10 rounds. Thanks

See the parts of the penal code in bold.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Fate
07-14-2009, 6:25 PM
or you can use the parts to rebuild hi cap mags that you legally owned pre-ban is my understanding.One little edit. ;)

THT
07-14-2009, 6:49 PM
One little edit. ;)

With huge repercussions :eek:

JY25
07-14-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks Quiet, I found that today after going over the penal code again.

Flying Bones
07-14-2009, 7:33 PM
Thanks Quiet, I found that today after going over the penal code again.

Yeah, I've been overlooking this.... some of the mags I got from a vendor on this forum weren't permanantly attached at the magwell.

justinjames
07-14-2009, 7:57 PM
Yes. No age limit to buy or own magazines.

we are talking about 30 rd preban mags correct, thanks

THT
07-14-2009, 8:09 PM
we are talking about 30 rd preban mags correct, thanks

Any magazine.

aplinker
07-14-2009, 8:54 PM
Any magazine.

except the ones behind the counter at 7-11. You need to be 18. :D