PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for an Entry Level Upper

goodlookin1
07-14-2009, 5:33 AM
Hey guys,

I am thinking of taking the plunge today of finishing off my first AR build by buying an upper local. I have been looking at the prices of stuff for a while, but just wanted come second opinions. The upper is a Del-Ton with a 16" Chrome lined barrel with M4 an cutout and M4 feedramps, complete with BCG and CH, and includes a quad rail (dont know the brand) and standard handguards. The upper is unfired except from factory. Price is $700. Should I be jumping on this? It seems that if I piece everything together individually, it will cost around the same. However, going to the Del-Ton website, the most expensive complete M4 styled upper they have is $505 (minus the quad rail). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

TKM
07-14-2009, 5:46 AM
If it's the same upper and less expensive from the manufacturer?

I'm not sure what the question is. Do you want to build a rifle or do you want to help someone get back some of the money they overpaid during the panic?

goodlookin1
07-14-2009, 5:59 AM
If it's the same upper and less expensive from the manufacturer?

I'm not sure what the question is. Do you want to build a rifle or do you want to help someone get back some of the money they overpaid during the panic?

Ok, granted. It is cheaper from the manufacturer (or same price without quad rail?), but the problem is that these things are taking longer than 8 months to ship out. My question is regarding street prices.......if this is within reason of some sort of guestimated average price for an entry level complete upper?

TKM
07-14-2009, 6:07 AM
The Del-Ton website shows a 1-2 week wait on what I think you are talking about. $485 plus options.

Get something you like and shoot it in good health.

THT
07-14-2009, 6:37 AM
You can get a complete entry level upper for under $600 and not have to wait more than a day.

Young Version
07-14-2009, 6:40 AM
You can get a complete entry level upper for under $600 and not have to wait more than a day.

Definitely. The Arfcom Equipment Exchange always has a few uppers under $600.

THT
07-14-2009, 6:41 AM
Definitely. The Arfcom Equipment Exchange always has a few uppers under $600.

And I've got some coming tomorrow.

aplinker
07-14-2009, 8:07 AM
I'd look into what the rail is before buying. It could make it anywhere from a horrible to a great deal.

However, I don't buy DTI. For a few $ more you can get an upper of substantially better quality.

goodlookin1
07-14-2009, 8:49 AM
Thanks to THT, I got hooked up with the M4 style 16" CMMG complete for a great deal! Thanks bro!

THT
07-14-2009, 9:05 AM
Thanks to THT, I got hooked up with the M4 style 16" CMMG complete for a great deal! Thanks bro!

My pleasure! We'll have 14.5" w/ perm. attached Phantom flash suppressors complete uppers tomorrow as well!

WeekendWarrior
07-14-2009, 1:08 PM
You can get a basic DPMS upper (16" or 20") for $420-460. Check RRarms, I just got a notification from them they have entry level m4 uppers in for something like $420, preban config.