PDA

View Full Version : Ilegal Cali gun safe to fly to NJ w it??

usmc1488
07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Question answered.

bwiese
07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
PLEASE PULL YOUR POST.

DON'T ADMIT CRIMES IN PUBLIC. This forum is monitored by LE agencies and there is no privacy on the internet.

GET A LAWYER. NOW.

(Jeez, I'd figure a Marine would be smarter than to admit this crap in public.)

I am assuming your rifle is not registered via a Military AW Permit, or you'd've mentioned it.
It's likely too late for you to do that. And the gun is most likely illegal in CA (your method of acquisition has certainly compounded it if you acquired paper-free in CA.)

NJ has nasty gun laws and that gun may have problems in NJ depending on model/configuration and magazines.

Your best solution is to strip the gun down to the lower receiver, call a lawyer and arrange for surrender of it to LE agency. That may somewhat 'clean up' the situation for CA [though not necessarily Federally, but at least sleeping dogs can lie if you acquired the gun illegally in CA; your wording/phrasing is poor and hard to understand].

Start over again with a legit off-list receiver purchase, rebuild your rifle to CA specs.
Check which makes/models/configurations are allowed in NJ before you go there.
NJ has some different hicap mag laws than CA and there's something about a 15rd limit.
Don't just bring a gun into NJ without squaring the paperwork.

If you were to fly with your gun there's always a risk some enquiries could be made esp in LAX, it'd be an illegal AW, and you'd add an additional charge (transportation) in addition to illegal possession and perhaps importation/acquistion. I can easily see 3 or more felonies - you seem to have hit all the bases.

professorhard
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
LOL epic fail. That being said you would probably get through the airport without incident as most TSA employees I've seen know nothing about guns and the laws regarding them. However I would advise against doing this because the negative consequences far outweigh the positive ones.

usmc1488
07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok thats advice!!!!!

usmc1488
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
PS
Being a Marine only means that I am good at protecting my boys and myself, It does not mean that I know crazy laws when I am not origianly from this state.

professorhard
07-13-2009, 10:27 PM
PS
Being a Marine only means that I am good at protecting my boys and myself, It does not mean that I know crazy laws when I am not origianly from this state.

Well you must have some understanding of the law since you were able to arrive at the conclusion that what you were trying to do is illegal.

DanHuuN
07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
DAMN MISSED IT....wish I was able to read the posts entirety...

But I'm glad this Marine is straight about his business....in regards to "only means that I am good at protecting my boys and myself, It does not mean that I know crazy laws when I am not origianly from this state"

Most Military guys I've ran into think they are baddass and know this and that about guns...seem MANY fail to demonstrate how to properly load and unload a firearm properly and safely....along with..."I'm in the military and no COP is going to give me a hard time about configuring my OLL like my M4 I had in IRAQ...blah blah..."

BULL ****.

Despite the pulled post that I missed...KUDOS to you for admitting that you dont know the laws!!!!

bwiese
07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
PS

Most sensible people check gun laws before moving between states with guns.

My criticism of "Marine" is not to be disrespectful, but it is indeed symptomatic: I've seen too many Marines - specifically, as opposed to Army, Air Force or Navy guys! - get in trouble with a variety of gun laws - state or Fed.

Somehow they think they're immune or that being a Marine will get them a pass - it will not (and that 29yr old female prosecutor going after you who came out of the DA's child abuse unit and toured with Greenpeace for two years after college will NOT be your friend - ESPECIALLY when she finds out you're a Jarhead.)

WeekendWarrior
07-14-2009, 2:23 PM
As that idiot rip off comic Carlos Mencia says (annoyingly) DEEEE DEE DEE!