PDA

View Full Version : ak47 vs. sks debate.

Travis8128
07-13-2009, 7:57 PM
So i've got a friend who owns an sks. Him and i were talking and i said that im going to be buying a california legal ak someday soon. He then proceeds to say, "you cant have a fully automatic gun in california." I tell him it is semi automatic and bring up all the things that have to be done to the configureation so it is legal. He then says, "no such thing as a semi automatic ak. the semi automatic version is an sks" I basically:rolleyes: and say ok(just didnt feel like arguing)

So can you please bring up all the points on how these guns are DIFFERENT.

Thanks,

Travis.

M. Sage
07-13-2009, 8:06 PM
The SKS was designed by a guy named Simonov (that's what the first "S" in SKS stands for) while the AK was designed by Kalashnikov (the "K").

The SKS uses a rear-locking tilting bolt as opposed to the AK's front-locking rotating bolt for one thing...

You know what? Here... just show him these: http://world.guns.ru/rifle/sks_parts.jpg http://www.ak47rifles.net/ak47rifleschematics.asp

Designed by different guys two years apart, completely different designs; one isn't even an evolution of the other! The AK has more in common with the M1 Garand than with the SKS. The SKS has a lot in common with an old(er) Soviet anti-tank rifle, the PTRS and I think that it's closer in design to the German G43 than just about any other battle rifle design before it.

Crusader
07-13-2009, 8:10 PM
Umm, they are completely different rifles. Tell him to do some freakin research before spewing his mouth about the legality of firearms. The bolt, trigger, safety, and magazine of an AK are very different than an SKS.

thedrickel
07-13-2009, 8:10 PM
Ha, what an idiot. Does he work for the local media, or is he a departmental spokesperson? Cause those are the only people that can't tell the difference b/w an AK and SKS.

triggerhappy
07-13-2009, 8:12 PM
Ooh, and with the milled receiver, the SKS is more accurate! Unless you have a milled Ak, in which case, I no longer wish to talk to you.

69Mach1
07-13-2009, 8:13 PM
Make sure to place a LARGE wager with him first. Then hit him with the info.

fd15k
07-13-2009, 8:14 PM
Technically semi-automatics that we get here are in fact AK clones, except those few full-autos that are in circulation in the FREE STATES.

69Mach1
Ooh, and with the milled receiver, the SKS is more accurate! Unless you have a milled Ak, in which case, I no longer wish to talk to you.

Don't be hatin.....:)

M. Sage
I'll dispute that claim. The sights are on the barrel of the AK, the receiver doesn't have a whole lot to do with the accuracy. Most of the AKs I've seen are mechanically capable (most shooters aren't, especially with the crappy AK sights) of 2-3 MOA. IMO some of that has to be ammo.

I think the SKS does have a longer sight radius, though, which should help.

fd15k
07-13-2009, 8:22 PM
Talking about accuracy, there is a number of important differences between the two : barrel length (SKS longer), action type (short stroke SKS vs long stroke AK), bolt/carrier weight (SKS heavier), and if bring AK74 into equation better ballistics of 5.45 over 7.62. Overall weapon weight is important too - SKS is heavier.

Z ME FLY
07-13-2009, 8:56 PM
Heck I think the biggest difference is that they look like two different rifles! Yes the media doesn't know wth they are talking about.

CRTguns
07-13-2009, 8:58 PM
So i've got a friend who owns an sks. Him and i were talking and i said that im going to be buying a california legal ak someday soon. He then proceeds to say, "you cant have a fully automatic gun in california." I tell him it is semi automatic and bring up all the things that have to be done to the configureation so it is legal. He then says, "no such thing as a semi automatic ak. the semi automatic version is an sks" I basically:rolleyes: and say ok(just didnt feel like arguing)

So can you please bring up all the points on how these guns are DIFFERENT.

Thanks,

Travis.

What you have there is a classic case of "dumb or misinformed freind syndrome"

NOw here's my .02

from a design standpoint, The SKS was much more of a stretch, more of an accomplishment considering it was the first hugely successful semi they made-There was no good example of how to make a good SA rifle at russian prices. the Ak was kind of the next logical step.

fd15k
07-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Could you please explain this entire statement ? What stretch ? What prices ? :eek:

from a design standpoint, The SKS was much more of a stretch, more of an accomplishment considering it was the first hugely successful semi they made-There was no good example of how to make a good SA rifle at russian prices. the Ak was kind of the next logical step.

bohoki
07-13-2009, 9:10 PM
some people are confident in their ignorance

Travis8128
07-13-2009, 9:53 PM
Ha, what an idiot. Does he work for the local media, or is he a departmental spokesperson? Cause those are the only people that can't tell the difference b/w an AK and SKS.

i know.

He is training to become a fireman currently :eek:

technique
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
i know.

He is training to become a fireman currently :eek:

Fireman are gun nuts...the ones I know anyway.