PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Variants Questions

TonyNorCal
03-20-2005, 7:24 AM
Hi all...

I'm aware that an 870 Express is the low-end of the 870 line. Is an 870 Express not a desireable shotgun? How does it differ from a Wingmaster and a Police? Do the Wingmaster and Police differ from one another aside from finish and stock?

And, which version is a Marine Magnum based on? Is it a nickle-plated Express? Wingmaster? Its own thing?

Someone put the 870 line in perspective and give a thumbs up or down to the Express model.

Thanks

TonyNorCal
03-20-2005, 7:24 AM
Hi all...

I'm aware that an 870 Express is the low-end of the 870 line. Is an 870 Express not a desireable shotgun? How does it differ from a Wingmaster and a Police? Do the Wingmaster and Police differ from one another aside from finish and stock?

And, which version is a Marine Magnum based on? Is it a nickle-plated Express? Wingmaster? Its own thing?

Someone put the 870 line in perspective and give a thumbs up or down to the Express model.

Thanks

CraigC
03-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I dunno where the Wingmaster fits in between the two, but here's the answer to the difference between the 870 Express and Police Magnums, from the Vang Comp Systems website:

"What is the difference between a Remington Express and a Police Magnum?"
The Remington Police Magnum shotgun is built heavier to withstand the abuse and pounding that police departments inflict on their gear. It has a metal trigger assembly versus the Express's plastic assembly. The Police Magnum also has heavier springs (7 lb. sear disconnect spring versus's the Express's 5 lb. disconnect spring). The Police Magnum has a 22 inch magazine spring versus a 16 inch magazine spring in the Express. The Police gun comes with a heavier lifter spring. Each Police Magnum comes with front and rear sling swivel studs. These are just some of the differences in the two guns. Remember, you get exactly what you pay for. Both models function the same and digest the same ammo, so if you are inclined to inflict this type of punishment on your guns then consider a Police Magnum. Otherwise the Express model will serve you very well.

ETA: The finish on the guns is also different. An Express or Wingmaster is blued, and the matte finish on these guns is a bead blast bluing.

The 870P is also available in traditional blued, but the matte finish is parkerization.

ivanimal
03-20-2005, 4:48 PM
I have a wingmaster and an express. I like the wingmaster to shoot better. It fells like a part of my arm. I really cant tell the difference in size and weight. They seem to be the same all around. I do like the coating on the express better than the bluing on the wingmaster. Also the wingmaster is wood and the express is composite, the wood gun I have had and shot regularly for 29 years it is a fixed choke gun that has never refused to cycle anything. I bought the express so people would stop borrowing the wingmaster. I bought it from a member of this board and I like it as well. Thanks Patrick! I dont see the need for all the extras on an 870 if you take care of it yours will still be going strong in 30 years as well.
I will say however the slide on the older gun is smoooooth.