PDA

View Full Version : BLM land map ordered, how can I make sure I don't mess up?

evan69
07-13-2009, 5:53 PM
I don't want to wander a little off the boundaries and land myself in any kind of trouble. How do you guys make sure you are staying on the plot of land designated on the BLM map?

I don't own a gps of any kind, all I have is a 1st generation iphone. I dunno if some of your guys' hi-tech gps methods would be of use to me.

Flying Bones
07-13-2009, 6:05 PM
+1 Need help on the same thing.

RRangel
07-13-2009, 6:13 PM
If you're worried about the legalities of a specific area you want to talk to the local BLM office. They will probably give you a heads up on the local situation.

GPS systems are now better and cheaper than they were in the past. Also learn how to properly read a map. I'm betting there are websites that could help you out in this age of Google.

evan69
07-13-2009, 6:18 PM
If you're worried about the legalities of a specific area you want to talk to the local BLM office. They will probably give you a heads up on the local situation.

GPS systems are now better and cheaper than they were in the past. Also learn how to properly read a map. I'm betting there are websites that could help you out in this age of Google.

I know I can properly read a map, I'm just wondering if any of you have some kind of method to it. Some kind of trick that makes it easier or something. I dunno.

tango5
07-13-2009, 7:24 PM
If you can read a map and a compass, you can put yourself within 50 meters of your location. If you can read it and direct yourself with a compass, you dont need any tricks to make it easier. For your situation, it sounds like you need a GPS to make it "easy" on yourself. Also, your iPhone wont do squat without service in the middle of the woods. You can use it to throw at an animal if your hungry.

BigBamBoo
07-13-2009, 8:27 PM

cryoguy
07-28-2009, 8:43 PM
That helps me out too. Thanks

technique
07-28-2009, 8:46 PM
Read the map...it has the boundaries on it....start when you enter the gate. Go by landmarks like camping areas and ya know...mountains.

Sinestr
07-28-2009, 9:10 PM
Large area's of BLM and National Forest lands have many roads and trails. Many of these are numbered with markers, and the numbers correspond to the map. I found this to be the fastest way to locate my position, and find land marks such as mountains, mines, etc..

RedRocket
07-28-2009, 10:02 PM
google search "Townships for google earth" it will overlay the same grid that BLM uses onto the google map... find landmarks, roads, etc. that you can reference and you will know exactly where you are in reference to BLM maps... i have the KMZ file pm me if you want it...

http://www.earthpoint.us/townships.aspx

caligundude
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
dido same question

LesGrossman41510
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM
where can you do some decent target shooting without being hauled off to jail??

besides the range of course...i have seen guys out shooting in the stockton delta not sure if that was legal or not.

Plisk
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Heres what I do guys. Using a BLM map, I look at it carefully and find the spot on Google Earth. Then I either memorize or screen capture a picture of the area and use a photo editing program to mark out the bounderies. Then plan around the areas.

LesGrossman41510
07-29-2009, 9:23 AM
^i was google earthing BLM too.

according to the BLM website the only place where target shooting has been banned is the "Knoxville" area. Its the closest to the SF bay so it just means you gotta drive out a little farther.

there are no calgunnners with large private property that they are willing to rent out to fellow calgunners???

RedRocket
07-29-2009, 4:39 PM
Heres what I do guys. Using a BLM map, I look at it carefully and find the spot on Google Earth. Then I either memorize or screen capture a picture of the area and use a photo editing program to mark out the bounderies. Then plan around the areas.

this will save you time

migz
07-29-2009, 5:22 PM
where does one buy these maps? the blm website is kind of crappy

RedRocket
07-29-2009, 5:53 PM

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/Northern_Map.html

Technical Ted
07-29-2009, 5:53 PM
Order here:
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/display/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_50_2&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000020%29/.do

If you live near Menlo Park, CA there is a Map Sales Office in the USGS complex on Middlefield Rd. They have USGS 7.5 minute and USGS 30 X 60 minute maps for the Western states as well as the BLM maps which correspond to the USGS 30' X 60' maps by name.

ETA: It was my understanding that ALL maps were available for free download, but it seems that only some 7.5' quads are available.

cryoguy
07-29-2009, 6:54 PM
Google Maps rules!!!

marshaul
07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
If you can read a map and a compass, you can put yourself within 50 meters of your location. If you can read it and direct yourself with a compass, you dont need any tricks to make it easier. For your situation, it sounds like you need a GPS to make it "easy" on yourself. Also, your iPhone wont do squat without service in the middle of the woods. You can use it to throw at an animal if your hungry.

Maps from google maps can be archived and GPS can be used "offline" (without cell service) on an iphone.

It's easy; I do this myself.

migz
07-30-2009, 8:32 AM
cool, thanks for the links

evan69
07-30-2009, 9:23 AM

this will save you time

How does all that stuff work?

RedRocket
07-30-2009, 6:35 PM
download and install "google earth" follow the earthpoint link and click the view in google earth button... save the file.... open it and enjoy....

ChrisDM
07-30-2009, 6:53 PM
I scouted a couple areas near me I thought were BLM land, and sent my local BLM office an email asking about the areas and what I intended to do there. I got an email back the next day that basically said "yep, that's our land, happy shootin!"

cryoguy
08-01-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks RedRocket. Thats good info.

GoodEyeSniper
08-02-2009, 1:10 AM
download and install "google earth" follow the earthpoint link and click the view in google earth button... save the file.... open it and enjoy....

Okay, how do I know what I'm looking at there? I just see different colored boxes with some info, can't tell what's what, though. Also It said I have to register to keep using and deleted :(

cryoguy
08-02-2009, 8:14 AM
I ran into the same problem. All you have to do is register on the website and re-download the file and you are set. Also, the lines that you see are the boundaries of the BLM land. if you look to the left on the google earth screen you will see the legend. If you un-check everything your screen will be void of any lines or markers. Now if you one by one check a box then look on the main screen and see what changed, then you will know what that line or marker represents. hope this helps.

GoodEyeSniper
08-02-2009, 9:17 PM
I ran into the same problem. All you have to do is register on the website and re-download the file and you are set. Also, the lines that you see are the boundaries of the BLM land. if you look to the left on the google earth screen you will see the legend. If you un-check everything your screen will be void of any lines or markers. Now if you one by one check a box then look on the main screen and see what changed, then you will know what that line or marker represents. hope this helps.

Okay, thanks I'll give that a shot. I thought the website said it cost money to register. :43:

GoodEyeSniper
08-02-2009, 9:30 PM
Okay, still not getting it. I see a bunch of purple boxes in a grid, then some orange and green boxes. None of it really makes sense or shows what is BLM land, and there is no option for that on the side, just on or off, basically...

cryoguy
08-04-2009, 6:06 AM
The orange lines are the BLM boundries and the purple lines are the sub boundries within the orange ones. Each orange box has a center dot that gives you info about that box, such as its name and the corner coordinates. The same thing for the purple ones. I f you have a large amount of lines try tirning off the other boundries like City, State, County, and Coastal. The only thing that I have clicked on my google earth other than earthlink is the government buildings ( because it shows the ranger stations) landmarks, campgrounds, and wikipedia for the area information. Try to keep it as simple as possible by not having everything turned on or you wont be able to see the map. I hope I was helpfull and more detailed. if anyone still has questions pm me and I will get back to you as soon as I can...

BTW I used google earth and just pin pointed an area that looked good for coyote populated land... ( Water source, no humans around, and some farms in the area, so on and so on. I went and did some scouting and stumbled on a little target range with benches and targets still up. And it was nice and clean with fresh truck tracks. Furthermore as I was pulling in there were Cottontail Rabbits all over the place. You know what they say, where there are Rabbits there are Coyotes to eat them.

WeekendWarrior
08-04-2009, 8:15 AM
A topographical map would probally help you with navigation. If you know your starting point and you have a good compass, you should be able to reference the hills and valleys as you move along your route. If you want a really nice set up, you cant copy the BLM boundaries onto a clear plastic layer and overlay it over the topographical map.

Lancear15
08-04-2009, 8:29 AM
there are no calgunnners with large private property that they are willing to rent out to fellow calgunners???

We live in California that would be way to large a liability.

cryoguy
08-04-2009, 8:52 AM
A topographical map would probally help you with navigation. If you know your starting point and you have a good compass, you should be able to reference the hills and valleys as you move along your route. If you want a really nice set up, you cant copy the BLM boundaries onto a clear plastic layer and overlay it over the topographical map.

Thats another great idea. Thanks!

Rob454
08-04-2009, 3:49 PM
usually any private property or leased BLM land has to be marked with signs stating private property do not trespass. Ive gone on plenty of BLM nat forest land and I never had a problem and no GPS