PDA

View Full Version : firearm ownership records

justinjames
07-13-2009, 3:11 PM
if you send in a firearm ownership record, does the doj keep this on record forever, or do they just disreguard them after a while?? thanks guys

JJ

Librarian
07-13-2009, 3:21 PM
if you send in a firearm ownership record, does the doj keep this on record forever, or do they just disreguard them after a while?? thanks guys

JJ
Evidence suggests that firearms information sent to DOJ is stored in an electronic database, which can be queried by various levels of law enforcement.

Short of a hardware failure and corrupted backups, the storage is effectively 'forever'.

justinjames
07-13-2009, 3:30 PM
would you guys ever be leary about sending in a firearm ownership record, i did for one of my lower, was this a bad move on my part??

POLICESTATE
07-13-2009, 3:51 PM
I wouldn't send in anything unless required BY LAW.

DanHuuN
07-13-2009, 3:53 PM
Why would you send in such a form? The lower gets registered to you as a long gun once you perform the transfer at an FFL. However if you inherited it from you father and it is an OLL then it's just yours anyways. But if it is a AW then it is supposed to be turned in and destroyed as AW's are non-transferable in the state of California. A Power of attorney can grant you to sell the AW out of state I THINK (I could definitely be wrong)

The only time I see reason for sending in a "firearm ownership record" to the DOJ is if (IF) there is another law requiring a self registration for a new AW LAW....

May I ask why you sent in the form? Any particular reason?

Again everything above could be complete utter bull**** as I am no lawyer nor am I giving advice. I am rather thinking out loud via keystrokes...

Steve O
07-13-2009, 3:55 PM
There wanting now to collect DNA samples, what do you think?

POLICESTATE
07-13-2009, 3:57 PM
Seriously? I know they've wanted to do from felons but from regular citizens?

Swatter911
07-13-2009, 3:59 PM

No, they're not asking for DNA from us.....yet.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 4:02 PM
why are you asking... AGAIN?!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=202530

justinjames
07-13-2009, 4:08 PM
Why would you send in such a form? The lower gets registered to you as a long gun once you perform the transfer at an FFL. However if you inherited it from you father and it is an OLL then it's just yours anyways. But if it is a AW then it is supposed to be turned in and destroyed as AW's are non-transferable in the state of California. A Power of attorney can grant you to sell the AW out of state I THINK (I could definitely be wrong)

The only time I see reason for sending in a "firearm ownership record" to the DOJ is if (IF) there is another law requiring a self registration for a new AW LAW....

May I ask why you sent in the form? Any particular reason?

Again everything above could be complete utter bull**** as I am no lawyer nor am I giving advice. I am rather thinking out loud via keystrokes...

no problem, im 20, i got an oll and my mom put it in her name, i didnt want her to be liable if anything happened so i sent in an ownership record. a couple months later, they sent me a letter saying that i am the new registered owner. i also made copies to bring mith me in case LEO comes along. im just scared that i subjigated myself to any inspections or anything to come. what do you guys think

aplinker
07-13-2009, 4:10 PM
no problem, im 20, i got an oll and my mom put it in her name, i didnt want her to be liable if anything happened so i sent in an ownership record. a couple months later, they sent me a letter saying that i am the new registered owner. i also made copies to bring mith me in case LEO comes along. im just scared that i subjigated myself to any inspections or anything to come. what do you guys think

You should stop worrying.

RolinThundr
07-13-2009, 4:17 PM
If you want a record of the firearms you own (in case of loss, theft, or confiscation) then download this form:

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/p33128prsnl_fa_rec.pdf

Do not submit it to any agency, it is for your personal records. Make 2-3 copies and keep them separate, 1 copy within easy access and the others tucked away so prying eyes don't find them. If you ever have to evacuate for any reason make sure to take copies of this form with you, do not show it to law enforcement unless you have to prove ownership (show only 1 copy). Heaven forbid but if we see another aftermath like Katrina a record like this may help you prove ownership and get your guns back, or help you keep them. I'd suggest making a couple of copies of your firearms sales receipts as well and keep a set of copies with each copy of the firearms record.

Steve O
07-13-2009, 4:31 PM

Anyone arrested and taken to booking for the usual fingerprints, picture, and now mouth swab.

No, they're not asking for DNA from us.....yet.

Some local police departments are already. Unless they have another reason to take mouth swabs...

Steve O
07-13-2009, 4:34 PM

So you're saying that you committed a felony straw purchase (having your mom DROS) to get the receiver, then sent in a new ownership record?

Cool. I don't care, but you should know what your doing before doing it, and way before you post about it.

justinjames
07-13-2009, 4:40 PM
So you're saying that you committed a felony straw purchase (having your mom DROS) to get the receiver, then sent in a new ownership record?

Cool. I don't care, but you should know what your doing before doing it, and way before you post about it.

technically, you can have a pistol grandfathered to you and you dont have to be 21 if it is from parent to son, son to parent, you just have to be 21 to dros a stripped lower into your name

DanHuuN
07-13-2009, 4:46 PM

Well that changes the situation entirely! For me anyways. Yea that's no problem however I believe that you are allowed to grandfater a firearm from you mom. Lets not admit of commiting felonies, ie you buying you a gun. Ultimately you're good to go for the most part. No worries....

TZL
07-13-2009, 5:44 PM
Hate to break it to you, but your mom is liable anyways....some stupid tranfer won't prevent anyone from going after them in civil court....welcome to the wide world of predatory lawyers....

i'm assuming that you live or take significant support from them.....

my best advice...don't do anything stupid that could remotely get you in trouble

justinjames
07-13-2009, 5:56 PM
Hate to break it to you, but your mom is liable anyways....some stupid tranfer won't prevent anyone from going after them in civil court....welcome to the wide world of predatory lawyers....

i'm assuming that you live or take significant support from them.....

my best advice...don't do anything stupid that could remotely get you in trouble

i dont live with her anymore , can you please explain how she is still liable, thanks

JJ

RolinThundr
07-13-2009, 7:42 PM
i dont live with her anymore , can you please explain how she is still liable, thanks

JJ

In a civil suit, the plaintiff will go after whomever has the "deep pockets" if there is the remotest chance they had anything to do with whatever happened. Since theory would suggest that your mom should have more money than you, having lived longer and having worked more, she would have deeper pockets than you. She would be targeted, along with you, because you would not have the OLL if she had not purchased it and transferred it to you.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 8:41 PM

http://www.comedycentral.com/press/images/southpark/Cartman-Cop1_thumbnail.jpg

Before you get all high and mighty, you might want to read the law.

There are no issues with a parent/child buying a firearm as a gift, as long as the recipient can legally own firearms.

A straw purchase is to get around the background check so a prohibited person can have a gun.

God Bless The Mauser
07-13-2009, 9:52 PM
I don't understand why anyone would volunteer to tell the government what guns they own.

Steve O
07-14-2009, 2:27 AM
technically, you can have a pistol grandfathered to you and you dont have to be 21 if it is from parent to son, son to parent, you just have to be 21 to dros a stripped lower into your name

So youre tallking about a INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION?
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

But does having your mother buy the striped receiver on your behalf with the intention of giving it to you...is that a straw purchase?

aplinker
07-14-2009, 8:05 AM
So youre tallking about a INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION?
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

But does having your mother buy the striped receiver on your behalf with the intention of giving it to you...is that a straw purchase?

NO, it is not.

OP is not prohibited from owning the firearm that's going to be gifted.

Steve O
07-14-2009, 2:15 PM
Ok. So it's only if a person is prohibited?

I'm not a prohibited person, but what if I were to have a friends buy a firearm on my behalf? I was under the understanding that if you have anyone buy a firearm for you it a straw purchase?

aplinker
07-14-2009, 2:24 PM
Ok. So it's only if a person is prohibited?

I'm not a prohibited person, but what if I were to have a friends buy a firearm on my behalf? I was under the understanding that if you have anyone buy a firearm for you it a straw purchase?

Straw purchase is when a purchaser buys for someone else when it would be illegal for the person to either purchase or possess it themselves.

Examples of what is a straw purchase:
-you buy the firearm and give it to someone who is not legally exempt from filling out DROS paperwork for such a transfer (only parent/grandpartent/child are exempt).
-you buy a firearm to give to someone who is prohibited from possessing a firearm.

Examples of what is not a straw purchase:
-you buy a firearm as a gift for your parent/grandparent/child/grandchild
-you pay for a firearm, but someone else fills out the DROS and that person also takes possession
-you, an LEO, buy non-certified pistol and sell it, with DROS, to someone else

justinjames
07-14-2009, 7:00 PM
so are there any downside to these ownership records other than them having it on file???

Linh
07-14-2009, 7:33 PM

Well the government has DNA samples of everyone in the military.