PDA

View Full Version : PSL owners....ammo and scope thoughts?

TZL
07-13-2009, 2:34 PM
so i've put about 40 rounds through my PSL....lots o' fun

a couple questions:

are PSL's hard on brass? i'm shooting yugo and bulgarian ball mil-surp and they are coming out of the gun super bent....and the extraction is very strong as they get flung a good 10-15 feet.... one casing is bent to almost 45 degrees.....i'm guessing a combo of strong extraction and weak old brass?

Also out of 40 rounds had two that slip in the necks...probably just ruptures from old ammo? no mis-fires....

anyone lefty shooters? i really don't like the lefty offset of the scope and the righty-centric cheek weld

I'm going to fix the cheek weld by getting a dragonuv setup for the PSL with rotating cheek pad, but any thoughts on the scope mount? will an AK rail setup work and then I can just put a normal scope on it? I like the style of the PSOP scope, but does someone sell one that on center?

Also any bipod mounting suggestions?

lastly, anyone put a flash hider on theirs? while I like the show the fireball puts out, its impossible to make a quick follow-up shot with that much flash and muzzle blast, anyone suggestions?

prc104
07-13-2009, 3:46 PM
On the PSL-54 it's generally recommended you use only the "light ball" ammo. 140-150gn type ammo. The bigger stuff that the Mosin Nagant guys use seem to be a lot of pressure for the PSL. See here for some good stuff:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1229&osCsid=4334199312e46d9bf8a0a200b7ac9398

The gas system port is large and probably for good reason, to blow the bolt back with enough force to get any type of junky mil-surp ammo out of there.

Some have installed smaller gas ports via a threaded insert (requires machinist or well equipped gunsmith) or you can go with an adjustable type of gas port to give you some adjustment.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1336

As far as mounting a differnt style scope mount you can look at some types on ebay if you search for "SVD Scope". Although it is kind of cool just to use the original POSP type scopes.

Full Clip
07-13-2009, 4:13 PM
My PSL totally mangles brass (as does my SVT-40). Maybe 1 of 5 cases can be salvaged, if you can find it.
I'm working up a lower-power load for the 150grn VMAX .311 bullets that Grafs had on sale some time ago. Something that cycles the action properly and is accurate but lower recoil. I'll report when I have info.

Digital_Hate
07-13-2009, 5:06 PM
ya like the other have said use no more then 150gr. any high and you can damage the receiver. mine has never messed up my brass. i have been using wolf gold.

TZL
07-13-2009, 6:23 PM
yeah I'm using light ball 147 gr i believe

i thought my sig 556s' had strong ejection with cases going 2-3 benches down....this psl puts them to shame....

let me know how your handloads turn out....I have some Privi -factory loads that I'm going to reload....if I can ever find where the casings flew off to when i spend them...

My PSL totally mangles brass (as does my SVT-40). Maybe 1 of 5 cases can be salvaged, if you can find it.
I'm working up a lower-power load for the 150grn VMAX .311 bullets that Grafs had on sale some time ago. Something that cycles the action properly and is accurate but lower recoil. I'll report when I have info.

TZL
07-13-2009, 6:26 PM
yeah that hungarian silvertip is good stuff....too bad its steel core....a no no at many ranges in NorCal....

On the PSL-54 it's generally recommended you use only the "light ball" ammo. 140-150gn type ammo. The bigger stuff that the Mosin Nagant guys use seem to be a lot of pressure for the PSL. See here for some good stuff:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1229&osCsid=4334199312e46d9bf8a0a200b7ac9398

69Mach1
07-13-2009, 7:37 PM
I'm going to fix the cheek weld by getting a dragonuv setup for the PSL with rotating cheek pad, but any thoughts on the scope mount? will an AK rail setup work and then I can just put a normal scope on it? I like the style of the PSOP scope, but does someone sell one that on center?

Also any bipod mounting suggestions?

lastly, anyone put a flash hider on theirs? while I like the show the fireball puts out, its impossible to make a quick follow-up shot with that much flash and muzzle blast, anyone suggestions?

I didn't know that the aftermarket Dragunov stock set for the PSL has a rotating cheek pad that locks on the right side. If it does, that's pretty cool. Get one of the Belarus low mount, weaver rail PSL scope mounts. It places the scope directly over the bore.

Wait until you get some groups on paper before attaching any bipod to your PSL to get a base performance. Then if you still want to add a bipod, you can tell if it's effecing the accuracy any. The simplest way to attach one is to use one of the Uncle Mike's sling stud mounts. It can be attached to the lower handguard by drilling. Once the sling stud mount is on, you can add a Harris or VersaPod bipod.

Adding a flash suppressor onto a PSL will get you into 925D (non-sporting imported rifle) territory and you will have to add enough US made parts to be compliant. Does your muzzle brake even come off? Also, although the barrel is threaded 14x1 left hand, like a standard AK threading, the tip of the barrel past the front sight is longer and threaded the entire length. Most AK compatible muzzle attachments will not be internally threaded to match that length.

TZL
07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
thanks 69MACH, i was assuming it was threaded like an AK, but then i read online that alot are pinned and welded....hmmmm...maybe no go on the FH

I buired it in the back of a 30 gun safe after cleaning this weekend, i'll have to pull it out and check the muzzle brake later this week

anyone got recommendations on a better trigger group for the PSL?

Adding a flash suppressor onto a PSL will get you into 925D (non-sporting imported rifle) territory and you will have to add enough US made parts to be compliant. Does your muzzle brake even come off? Also, although the barrel is threaded 14x1 left hand, like a standard AK threading, the tip of the barrel past the front sight is longer and threaded the entire length. Most AK compatible muzzle attachments will not be internally threaded to match that length.

Agustav
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I do reload for PSL and it does mangles the brass quite badly, but I don't agree with the the statement that only 1 out of 5 brass is salvageable. The neck might be dented and the body scratched up, but those problems are either cosmetic or will be gone after resizing. Currently my favorite load is 48gr Varget, Prvi 150 FMJ, seated to the max the magazine will allow. This load allows me to easily achieve 2 moa or better and hitting the 400 yard metal target at ASR 100% of the time!

Invest in a brass catcher and you will be able to recover 100% of your brass. This is what I use...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=942827
Just remember to keep the catcher close to the rifle when you shoot!

TZL
07-18-2009, 2:12 PM
what other stock ammo do you guys put through your PSLs?

I'm looking for non-steel core and non-magnetic light ball, any suggestions on off the shelf ammo?

69Mach1
07-18-2009, 2:43 PM
what other stock ammo do you guys put through your PSLs?

I'm looking for non-steel core and non-magnetic light ball, any suggestions on off the shelf ammo?

Wolf 148 grain, non magnetic bullet, steel case. Also, a Tapco G2 will improve the trigger pull a little. You can go all out with the Red Star adj. unit, but it will require a little "gunsmithing".