PDA

View Full Version : If you owned a gun store, would you cater to Calgunners?

aplinker
07-13-2009, 1:20 PM
Given the numerous occurrences of CG/gun shop issues... I was reminded of this:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/consumeractionguide/P103694.asp

I have a bunch of points, but I would rather let the discussion start.

So as to somewhat stir the pot: catering to Calgunners as a primary and long-term business objective would end up being suicide.

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 1:36 PM
Given the numerous occurrences of CG/gun shop issues... I was reminded of this:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/consumeractionguide/P103694.asp

I have a bunch of points, but I would rather let the discussion start.

So as to somewhat stir the pot: catering to Calgunners as a primary and long-term business objective would end up being suicide.

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

If I had a gun store would I cater to gun owners?

Well, duh, yea.

(BTW, J and J blew it.)

scootergmc
07-13-2009, 1:37 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

edit: with the suicide...

Black Majik
07-13-2009, 1:41 PM
I'm curious to the responses as well. I would say YES. Calgunners may be difficult to please sometimes, but the dealers with great reputations usually come out ahead. Riflegear, would be a great example. They get a lot of business from Calguns, I've never seen them argue with anyone, and RG usually gets the first recommendation for OLL shopping in the OC area.

I'm sure OC Armory is gaining a lot of strength, and Ade's Gunshop has always been a Calguns favorite. Same goes with Chris at Brightspot.

It's the internet age, word spreads like wildfire anyways. The potential business is too difficult to ignore. As long as the vendors don't act like idiots to their customers I can only see good come to the stores. People here are also forgiving, such as Mark Larue's incident. I'd say it's a two way street, I've seen both positive and negative reports on retailers posted on Calguns.

PatriotnMore
07-13-2009, 1:45 PM
How about make it a poll.

PolishMike
07-13-2009, 1:46 PM
ask any guns store. Calgunners are the worst to deal with.

THT
07-13-2009, 1:48 PM
Absolutely! You take the good with the bad but you can't let the minority of bad customers make you shy away from the majority of good ones.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 1:51 PM
Are you not understanding or trying to make a point?

I'm asking whether you would be spending your time trying to cater to, assist, help, and grow a user base primarily from Calgunners.

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

If I had a gun store would I cater to gun owners?

Well, duh, yea.

(BTW, J and J blew it.)

Let me clarify for you, given your unique situation - I'm asking about a local brick and mortar gun store.

Absolutely! You take the good with the bad but you can't let the minority of bad customers make you shy away from the majority of good ones.

hoozaru
07-13-2009, 1:54 PM
I'm curious to the responses as well. I would say YES. Calgunners may be difficult to please sometimes, but the dealers with great reputations usually come out ahead. Riflegear, would be a great example. They get a lot of business from Calguns, I've never seen them argue with anyone, and RG usually gets the first recommendation for OLL shopping in the OC area.

I'm sure OC Armory is gaining a lot of strength, and Ade's Gunshop has always been a Calguns favorite. Same goes with Chris at Brightspot.

It's the internet age, word spreads like wildfire anyways. The potential business is too difficult to ignore. As long as the vendors don't act like idiots to their customers I can only see good come to the stores. People here are also forgiving, such as Mark Larue's incident. I'd say it's a two way street, I've seen both positive and negative reports on retailers posted on Calguns.

+1!

Vacaville

Only because they recognize FUD and BS. :chris:

technique

+1

Give an inch of a discount....they ask for a mile.;)

technique
07-13-2009, 1:55 PM
Only because they recognize FUD and BS. :chris:

No....its because they are cheap. A majority anyway.

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 2:01 PM

I'm asking whether you would be spending your time trying to cater to, assist, help, and grow a user base primarily from Calgunners.

Let me clarify for you, given your unique situation - I'm asking about a local brick and mortar gun store.

I'd cater to all gun owners, yes. So, that would include CGers.

And a local brick and mortar store? Yes, of course. it would be a gun store, after all.

How would it benefit business to categorize and treat customers differently? I thought a prudent business owner treated all customers equally and well. That's a key to success.

I remember stopping in at a Bank of America with a friend of mine, who happened to be one of the multitude of BofA Vice Presidents. After some banter with the cashier she said, "oh, I can help you with that, I didn't realize you were BofA management."

He asked, "why would that matter?" Deer in the headlamps moment.

So let me ask you, "why should it matter whether the customer belonged to CalGuns?"

How would you treat them differently? And why?

(BTW, JandJ blew it.)

technique
07-13-2009, 2:07 PM
So let me ask you, "why should it matter whether the customer belonged to CalGuns?"

Some store go out of their way and offer special CG's discounts. Normally, that is advertised on CG's....

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 2:11 PM
Some store go out of their way and offer special CG's discounts. Normally, that is advertised on CG's....

So, they chose to advertise here. For free.

That's a good thing, and good marketing.

If someone walks into the store and asks for the same deal, what, you ask for the CG ID card?

Hell no, you make the sale. That's smart business.

PatriotnMore
07-13-2009, 2:16 PM
I would definitely cater to CalGuns, but I would also be aware that many here might be a more sophisticated and informed buyer, and would present and market myself accordingly.

I also do not feel it is worth getting into a pissing match over some situations, that does not mean there are times when the buyer is wrong, and from what I've seen, for the most part, the people here are honest enough to call out the party in the wrong, regardless of which side of the counter you are standing.

Even with iTrader, if I have someone who thinks I miss represented, or is not getting what they thought, I give them an instant out no questions asked, it's not worth the negative feedback, and in turn, I am slow to give negative feedback. So, if I am willing as a non vendor to be careful, I am pretty sure, I would be extra careful as a vendor.

Vectrexer
07-13-2009, 2:20 PM
CalGunners are such a weird,,,errr ,,, diverse collections of individuals that I would have to say I would not treat them with any more, or less, respect and attention than the rest of the my customers.

technique
07-13-2009, 2:21 PM
So, they chose to advertise here. For free.

That's a good thing, and good marketing.

If someone walks into the store and asks for the same deal, what, you ask for the CG ID card?

Hell no, you make the sale. That's smart business.

I don't think being a Vendor here is Free, nor are the banners.

Most people in my experience know when they come that that particular store offers CG's discounts and offer up their username just to introduce themselves and get acquainted.

Its like the keep it in the family type thing....just looking out for your fellow CGrs. Heck I have sent numerous people things that I had extra...like recently a delta ring assembly I sent one to a member here that was in need of one...I did it for free and to help a fellow board member out. That guy in turn sent me a gift as a thank you.

THT
07-13-2009, 2:22 PM

And that's what I assumed when I answered. If I had a physical location, I would certainly cater to CGers. Working with clients who have a good, working understanding of the product they want makes my life easier. And clients/customers with high standards are exactly who I cater to because I try to provide a level of service that I demand from a vendor.

bear308
07-13-2009, 2:28 PM

No, not enough active calgunners to keep a store good size store afloat. I would try to cater to, assist, help and grow my customers. Whoever they may be. Specifically for calgunners is a looser from what I can see.

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 2:30 PM
I don't think being a Vendor here is Free, nor are the banners.

Most people in my experience know when they come that that particular store offers CG's discounts and offer up their username just to introduce themselves and get acquainted.

Its like the keep it in the family type thing....just looking out for your fellow CGrs. Heck I have sent numerous people things that I had extra...like recently a delta ring assembly I sent one to a member here that was in need of one...I did it for free and to help a fellow board member out. That guy in turn sent me a gift as a thank you.

We'd do business.

M47_Dragon
07-13-2009, 2:38 PM

I think going after ONE group as a potential customer base is a poor business decision. I would advertise to CGers, sure, but I wouldn't limit myself to CGers only. Would I offer CGers discounts? Probably.

CalGuns would be a great pot to stick your business spoon into, but not the only pot... not the only spoon.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 3:30 PM
I think you're missing the question.

And no, not all customers are the same or worth the effort. If you don't believe that, then I suspect either you've never dealt with customers or, as they say in poker, if you can't tell the fool at the table...

I'd cater to all gun owners, yes. So, that would include CGers.

And a local brick and mortar store? Yes, of course. it would be a gun store, after all.

How would it benefit business to categorize and treat customers differently? I thought a prudent business owner treated all customers equally and well. That's a key to success.

I remember stopping in at a Bank of America with a friend of mine, who happened to be one of the multitude of BofA Vice Presidents. After some banter with the cashier she said, "oh, I can help you with that, I didn't realize you were BofA management."

He asked, "why would that matter?" Deer in the headlamps moment.

How would you treat them differently? And why?

(BTW, JandJ blew it.)

Turbinator
07-13-2009, 3:35 PM
I'd probably cater to all customers, but focus on trying to serve Calgunners. Then, I'd probably have a couple of bad experiences, get frustrated, turn in my FFL, close up shop, and let someone else deal with the hassles of being an FFL. :D

Turby

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 3:36 PM
I think you're missing the question.

And no, not all customers are the same or worth the effort. If you don't believe that, then I suspect either you've never dealt with customers or, as they say in poker, if you can't tell the fool at the table...

I sorry if I'm not giving you the answer you need.

I've owned my own business for 21 years, so yes, I've dealt with many customers.

Do I "take advantage" of fools? No.

Do I help deserving people at reduced rates? Yes.

Have I done work gratis for little old ladies that have been ripped off? Yes.

Have I been ripped off? Yes.

Do I sleep well at night? Yes.

Do I have a good reputation? Yes.

More than I can say for some vendors here, recently discussed.

Would I rip someone off for $500? No.

ETA:

Are there people I won't work for? You bet.

Maddog5150
07-13-2009, 3:40 PM
I wouldnt bend over backwords specifically for calgunners. If I did, I wouldnt be able to afford to stock any guns and would be doing FFLs for free non stop. I would probably go under.
I would treat calgunners the same as anyone else who walked through the door. Just because specifically a firearm based forum, why special treatment over lets say the old lifetime NRA member who goes to all the meetings but doesnt own a computer?

aplinker
07-13-2009, 3:53 PM
Can you keep Calgunners coming back without bending over backwards?

I wouldnt bend over backwords specifically for calgunners. If I did, I wouldnt be able to afford to stock any guns and would be doing FFLs for free non stop. I would probably go under.
I would treat calgunners the same as anyone else who walked through the door. Just because specifically a firearm based forum, why special treatment over lets say the old lifetime NRA member who goes to all the meetings but doesnt own a computer?

aplinker
07-13-2009, 3:55 PM
You must sleep a lot, since you said it twice. :D

Let me say it this way - it seems to me that it takes an extra level of effort to please Calgunners. Would you be willing to do it? Would you imagine it would be worth it?

I sorry if I'm not giving you the answer you need.

I've owned my own business for 21 years, so yes, I've dealt with many customers.

Do I "take advantage" of fools? No.

Do I help deserving people at reduced rates? Yes.

Have I done work gratis for little old ladies that have been ripped off? Yes.

Have I been ripped off? Yes.

Do I have a good reputation? Yes.

More than I can say for some vendors here, recently discussed.

Would I rip someone off for $500? No.

ETA:

Are there people I won't work for? You bet.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 3:57 PM
I'm not saying giving special treatment, per se, I'm more referring to focusing one's advertising and marketing efforts, as well as customer service time, on drawing in and dealing with Calgunners.

chickenfried
07-13-2009, 3:59 PM
Hell no informed customers suck!

Maddog5150
07-13-2009, 4:21 PM
I'm not saying giving special treatment, per se, I'm more referring to focusing one's advertising and marketing efforts, as well as customer service time, on drawing in and dealing with Calgunners.

But that IS special treatment. Giving a customer more service time based upon membership of a forum is special treatment. If anything, calgunners need less service time since they should pretty much know what they want and already gone through the ringamarole several times already.
The amount of marketing to bring a crowd largely arguing at the counter, "I can get this at buds for cheaper online! and so and sos mom and pop will do my FFLs for twenty five bucks!"
Since most sales are impulse buys (and yes with 5 years experience on a gun counter I have witnessed this) most of the marketing should be done to bring in EVERYONE.

Turbinator
07-13-2009, 4:23 PM
Let's turn this question around - does it cost less and is it less hassle to cater to the general public, as opposed to a highly elite group of well-informed people?

Turby

ldivinag
07-13-2009, 4:26 PM
only if they are hot single females... :)

kermit315
07-13-2009, 4:27 PM
I dont think it takes any more to deal with calgunners, as long as your being square about it. The problem it seems most run into is that either A) they dont know what they are talking about (dealer) and blow off/provide misinformation to a calgunner that has already done the research, and the calgunner gets P.O'd and comes on here to blast the dealer, or B) There is a miscommunication and neither side is willing to give an inch.

Also, you have the problem of the underinformed customer that doesnt really know what he is talking about, thinks the dealer is lying, comes on here to blast them, and gets blasted for not knowing what they are talking about.

You are always going to have a hard time with a percentage of customers, regardless of the base from which they are drawn. Calgunners tend to come here and research their purchases before they go into a store, and tend to know exactly what they want. As long as the dealer provides that, I dont see where there would be a problem.

And, I also suspect that this question is drawn from the recent JandJ thread, and I agree with tcrpe, JandJ screwed up.

Also, (sorry for dragging this out), you have to admit that for every bad customer, there is probably a FUD spreading clerk or misinformed owner with bad customer service. Get the two of those people together, and it could turn into world war III.

ETA: I have never gotten a calguns discount that I can remember, and have never asked for one. I shop based on the service I get, and the prices. I just happen to research the hell out of what I want before I buy it, and when I go to the store, I ask for specifically what I want and nothing else. If that can happen, I dont see the problem.

tcrpe
07-13-2009, 4:30 PM
You must sleep a lot, since you said it twice. :D

Let me say it this way - it seems to me that it takes an extra level of effort to please Calgunners. Would you be willing to do it? Would you imagine it would be worth it?

I take a nap every afternoon.

It seems to you that it does take an extra effort to please CGers. I believe that, but I'm not sure I agree.

It always takes extra effort to please what we call "sophisticated customers", or "sophisticated clients". They are also, in my experience, better customers. I do it all the time. It's been worth it to go the extra mile so far . . . .

And the best thing in the world is the repeat customer.

ETA: How many registered members does CG have? How many unregistered lurkers? How many have complained here? I'd say a tiny fraction, so I'll not paint with a broad brush.

ETA2: There are people in this world who are never satisfied. The trick is identifying and avoiding them. It takes many years to learn how.

s281c
07-13-2009, 4:40 PM
There's an old saying that my Grandfather said to me as advice for when I started my first business.............

"Never put all your eggs in one basket"

So no I wouldn't cater specifically or exclusively to calgunners, but they would be welcomed and I would treat them the same as any other customer.

And I would have a big bold sign behind the counter that would say "Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone"........:43:

TonyM
07-13-2009, 4:40 PM
After the 3,000th time of hearing:

"But, I saw it on gunbroker for $xxxx cheaper and it was in "like new condition"" or "My friend bought one used on Calguns for $200 less, hook me up!" or "I heard that if I drive 500 miles from here there's a kitchen table FFL that will do internet transfers for $39. So, you going to hook me up, or do I have to take my business over there?"

I'd have to put a sign on the door that said something like "If you're from the internet, your comments aren't wanted. Go buy it at blah.com and have a good day."

I was actually going to open a shop this summer, I had been working on it since last year. When I saw some of the threads with people crying about what some people consider gouging, I decided to invest in other avenues. I can't sell a gun at $1 over cost to keep people happy and keep the doors open. Can't sell ammo at a loss and pay the rent.

technique
07-13-2009, 4:48 PM

"But, I saw it on gunbroker for $xxxx cheaper and it was in "like new condition"" or "My friend bought one used on Calguns for $200 less, hook me up!" or "I heard that if I drive 500 miles from here there's a kitchen table FFL that will do internet transfers for $39. So, you going to hook me up, or do I have to take my business over there?"

I'd have to put a sign on the door that said something like "If you're from the internet, your comments aren't wanted. Go buy it at blah.com and have a good day."

I was actually going to open a shop this summer, I had been working on it since last year. When I saw some of the threads with people crying about what some people consider gouging, I decided to invest in other avenues. I can't sell a gun at $1 over cost to keep people happy and keep the doors open. Can't sell ammo at a loss and pay the rent.

I think this is what people are really missing.....

ITS NOT ABOUT FUD....or CGrs being more informed, or being "elite".....

^^^ITS ABOUT THE ABOVE QUOTE^^^

Fjold
07-13-2009, 4:48 PM
It's easy to sell to well informed customers:

Be honest and treat people with respect.

Another thing is that if you make a mistake, admit it and correct it.

Here's the biggest secret to customer service:

Good communication.

chickenfried
07-13-2009, 4:51 PM
Dang TonyM I think you missed your true calling. You would have fit right in :p

TonyM
07-13-2009, 4:57 PM
It's easy to sell to well informed customers:

Be honest and treat people with respect.

Another thing is that if you make a mistake, admit it and correct it.

Here's the biggest secret to customer service:

Good communication.

No doubt about that, but I've been in enough stores lately to see the younger guys that go into the stores and the way they expect to get everything for free. I'm all for asking for a deal, but I also know that the shop needs to make a certain margin to stay around. I ALWAYS give the guys at Irvington a hard time (in good fun), but never tell them they are crazy to want to charge me $100 less than MSRP when I know they are still making ~$120 on the gun. They have great communication and I've never left feeling dissapointed or like they tried to get over on me. That tells me why they are still here and thriving.

Dang TonyM I think you missed your true calling. You would have fit right in :p

I know, I know... I should do it just to see the hater threads! :p

Greg-Dawg
07-13-2009, 5:10 PM
....does it cost less and is it less hassle to cater to the general public, as opposed to a highly elite group of well-informed people?

Turby

LOL!!!! I sprayed my beer all over the keyboard reading that.

First of all, majority of CA gun owners do not log into Calguns.net 24-7, nor have they ever heard of the site. They get most of their info/news/laws/bills from NRA/GOA email blast, web and local news. Secondly, catering to a certain group is discrimination. Thirdly, excellent customer service (seeing through the eyes of the customer) is valuable. Lastly, business is business. There's now such thing as "Show friends in Show Buisness"-Jerry McGuirre.

Turbinator
07-13-2009, 5:13 PM
LOL!!!! I sprayed my beer all over the keyboard reading that.

I know, I kind of threw that in there for fun. I like to think of ourselves as a highly elite group of well informed firearm consumers here in CA. :D

Turby

Black Majik
07-13-2009, 5:15 PM
I know, I kind of threw that in there for fun. I like to think of ourselves as a highly elite group of well informed firearm consumers here in CA. :D

Wait, we aren't? :(

:D

Greg-Dawg
07-13-2009, 5:18 PM

Turby

Now I've sprayed my pretzel bits onto the monitor. Stop it Turb, you're killin' me.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-13-2009, 5:28 PM
Treat all your customers good and you will always have plenty. Maybe a 10% discount for calguners.
Anything I sell comes with a money back guarantee. My itrader shows that.

Come on TonyM open the shop. You could turn a large fortune into a small. J/K,

chickenfried
07-13-2009, 5:29 PM
:confused:Secondly, catering to a certain group is discrimination. .

GammaRei
07-13-2009, 5:42 PM
Yeah, but to a degree. I would make it a point to see how active they are with CGN. There are a ton of people out there that think that they can sign up with CGN and then go to shops and request discounts, but are in no way active with Calguns. It gets annoying and I have witnessed it firsthand.

- G

MiguelS
07-13-2009, 6:46 PM
Internet Based customers are hard to tend to. I would work with any forum to gain a customer base.

I do get discounts from audi dealers and corvette dealers...it is business they would not have had if it wasnt for Al Gore.

I think the 20/80 rule would apply.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 9:11 PM
Let me just be clear that I'm not trying to say anything bad about CG users, but I think we need to consider our actions.

Quit hammering my nail on its head. :D

I think my favorite, recent gem was, "If you can match Wal Mart's price on ammo you'll have earned my business." The audacity. The sheer need for the FFL to compete with a loss leader to "earn" their business. !!! I still am in awe of that one.

ETA2: There are people in this world who are never satisfied. The trick is identifying and avoiding them. It takes many years to learn how.

Let me try making it extreme with this question, posed to you and others: do you think being a member of CG indicates that the customer is more likely to be of that type?

I dont think it takes any more to deal with calgunners, as long as your being square about it. The problem it seems most run into is that either A) they dont know what they are talking about (dealer) and blow off/provide misinformation to a calgunner that has already done the research, and the calgunner gets P.O'd and comes on here to blast the dealer, or B) There is a miscommunication and neither side is willing to give an inch.

Also, you have the problem of the underinformed customer that doesnt really know what he is talking about, thinks the dealer is lying, comes on here to blast them, and gets blasted for not knowing what they are talking about.

You are always going to have a hard time with a percentage of customers, regardless of the base from which they are drawn. Calgunners tend to come here and research their purchases before they go into a store, and tend to know exactly what they want. As long as the dealer provides that, I dont see where there would be a problem.

And, I also suspect that this question is drawn from the recent JandJ thread, and I agree with tcrpe, JandJ screwed up.

Also, (sorry for dragging this out), you have to admit that for every bad customer, there is probably a FUD spreading clerk or misinformed owner with bad customer service. Get the two of those people together, and it could turn into world war III.

ETA: I have never gotten a calguns discount that I can remember, and have never asked for one. I shop based on the service I get, and the prices. I just happen to research the hell out of what I want before I buy it, and when I go to the store, I ask for specifically what I want and nothing else. If that can happen, I dont see the problem.

This really isn't about J&J. It came out of some things I've been perceiving for a while and a conversation with a friend.

How many threads do you see saying something along the lines of, "Where can I get a lower for cheaper? My local shop charges $200 OTD."

The extent to which people will go to save $10 and cut out their local guy is astonishing.

technique
07-13-2009, 9:18 PM
I got the "walmart" thing once.

They guy asked "how much for you 45ACP?"
Me: $XXXXX ( I don't remember what it was)
The Guy: Well I got news for you, Walmart sells it for $XXXXX.
Me::rolleyes:

Like I give a rats arse....this douche goes out of his way to attempt to make an arse outta a guy (me) that just works for an FFL...I don't make the prices!!!

I felt like putting his face through the glass display case and yelling WHO's LAUGHING NOW P***Y?!

MiguelS
07-13-2009, 9:23 PM
only 5 X's....it cost me an arm and leg last time.

Sunwolf
07-13-2009, 9:23 PM
I would have a 6 ft. tall sign in front of the store with"No CG`ers allowed" and armed guards at the door checking!

truthseeker
07-13-2009, 9:30 PM
I am a shopper that does research and KNOWS what I want to buy. I also know how much that item costs at other places both local and internet.

I will buy locally if I MUST have it right now or if it is CLOSE in price to what I would pay using the internet plus shipping.

I will NOT buy anything that I MUST have that day if the price is 20% higher than what I can pay on the internet.

Hope that helps!

aplinker
07-13-2009, 9:31 PM
I would have a 6 ft. tall sign in front of the store with"No CG`ers allowed" and armed guards at the door checking!

:D Is it written on your underpants, like Techniques mom told me she does for him?

technique
07-13-2009, 9:35 PM
:smilielol5:

chickenfried
07-13-2009, 9:44 PM
The people complaining about buyers going where they can get the best deal are just as ridiculous as those that cry gouging at every turn. Two sides of the same coin.

I expect a retailer to price an item as high as they're able. They should expect me to try and get the most for my dollar.

compsoftstation
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Difficult or not a store should be out of business if they can't take the heat.

M47_Dragon
07-14-2009, 12:24 AM
The people complaining about buyers going where they can get the best deal are just as ridiculous as those that cry gouging at every turn. Two sides of the same coin.

I expect a retailer to price an item as high as they're able. They should expect me to try and get the most for my dollar.

Ah, wisdom.

Sunwolf
07-14-2009, 6:43 AM
A conversation way back when I was in retail."How much are the ice cream cones?"My reply.."x cents" Customer..."They are only y cents at Safeway" me..."Why don`t you buy them there then"?.."They are out of them"...My reply........"When we are out,they are free"!
Just like people to whine and moan about a nickle difference.