PDA

View Full Version : AW Reg. question. Was the paperwork done correctly?

till44
07-13-2009, 9:16 AM
I recently recieved my letter from the Chief to obtain two "assault weapons". I had two previous OLLs that I wanted to have configured as assault weapons, one an AR rifle and the second an AR pistol. I returned the lowers to the manufacturer (out of state) in order for them to remove the Bullet Buttons and install regular mag releases, the two lowers were then shipped to an AW dealer.

All the paperwork was finished at the FFL and I took the lowers home. The next morning I begain filling out the "Assault Weapon Registration" (FD 023), the blue card with the weapons serial number, model, caliber, etc. I reached the spot where it asked for type, below it list in ( ) rifle, pistol, or shotgun. For some reason I glanced at the "Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm" form from the FFL, under the Transaction Information section there is a box for "Firearm Type". The FFL had written in "Longgun", singular but doesn't add anything about a pistol.

I kinda panicked because I thought my AR pistol lower was ruined as a pistol for good. I called up the FFL to see if he had known the AR pistol lower had been logged as a longgun. He put me at ease, he said he knew one of the lowers was for an AR pistol and that it was ok because the "Dealer Record of Firearm Sale" isn't all of the specific detail of the sale. It makes no mention gun models, serial #'s, or etc. Only buyer info, when the transaction took place, and number of guns. I asked what I should write on the Assault Weapon Registration card (the blue card) under weapon type. He said to write in lower reciever for both weapons.

I was good with his explanation until a partner at work, who's very knowledgeable on gun laws, said he would have an uneasy feeling about it. Put me back where I was the morning after picking them up. So, anyone have any insight on this, any FFLs would be great to hear from, and especially anyone else that has registered an AR pistol as an AW. Thanks in advance.

luckystrike
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
hmm,,,im not an ffl but i would think the ar pistol couldnt be registered as an AW, i would think only rifles or "longguns" could be. ill check with my friend thats an ffl

retired
07-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Have you gone to the FFL forum here and posted this info. If not, I'd recommend doing it there also. Between this forum and that one, you may get what you are seeking. Good luck.

till44
07-13-2009, 8:08 PM
hmm,,,im not an ffl but i would think the ar pistol couldnt be registered as an AW, i would think only rifles or "longguns" could be. ill check with my friend thats an ffl

Pistols can be registered as AWs, I haven't seen or heard of an AR pistol being reg'ed but have seen other pistols like Mac's and pistols with threaded bbls.

Just posted this in the FFL section as well, thanks for the advice.

yzernie
07-13-2009, 8:40 PM
I don't see why just putting lower receiver would be a concern. The lower is the part that is serialized and the part of the gun that would be of concern for the CaDoJ. There are a zillion different uppers out there and you could change the upper for either the rifle or pistol any time you'd like to.

Let's just say someone has a Colt Match Sporter registered as an AW. The gun comes with a 20" barrel. If he (or she) would put a 16" carbine length barrel on it or even a 14.5" barrel on it that would not change the status of it being an AW and registered as such. When I registered mine I don't remember them asking anything about barrel length.

ETA: I just pulled out my paperwork and all it asked for was the Serial #, Make, Model, Type (rifle) and Caliber. It has absolutely no mention of the barrel length or the make of the upper.

bohoki
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
raw doesnt allow sbr state or federally

till44
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't see why just putting lower receiver would be a concern. The lower is the part that is serialized and the part of the gun that would be of concern for the CaDoJ. There are a zillion different uppers out there and you could change the upper for either the rifle or pistol any time you'd like to.

Let's just say someone has a Colt Match Sporter registered as an AW. The gun comes with a 20" barrel. If he (or she) would put a 16" carbine length barrel on it or even a 14.5" barrel on it that would not change the status of it being an AW and registered as such. When I registered mine I don't remember them asking anything about barrel length.

ETA: I just pulled out my paperwork and all it asked for was the Serial #, Make, Model, Type (rifle) and Caliber. It has absolutely no mention of the barrel length or the make of the upper.

My concern isn't with the rifle, an AR reciever is generally accepted as a rifle with a 16" bbl., my concern is with the AR pistol. If it isn't classified and listed as a pistol with the DOJ through the FFL, then my AR pistol is no longer a pistol, but a SBR. I have yet to put the upper and lower together until I have this worked out and am ease again.

alex00
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Till,

Even if the AR pistol was transferred back as a 'longgun' it does not necessarily mean that it is a rifle. 'Longgun' is not listed in the PC by definition, but rifle is. Rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder, in the PC. Since there is no PC definition of 'longgun' and you never attached a shoulder stock, you're not completely out of luck. I know you would feel much better if it came back with the proper 'type'.

till44
07-15-2009, 9:10 AM
This was brought up in the FFL thread... What if only one DROS was completed?

sacshooter1
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Call DOJ Bureau of Firearms and ask to speak to one of the actual agents. I've talked to a few of them about AW stuff and they are knowledgeable.

till44
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Call DOJ Bureau of Firearms and ask to speak to one of the actual agents. I've talked to a few of them about AW stuff and they are knowledgeable.

I guess that should have been my first response. Thanks for the idea.

ke6guj
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess that should have been my first response. Thanks for the idea.

yah, probably the best idea. Sounds like the FFL screwed up the DROS paperwork (hopefully the 4473 got filled out correctly) and you need help making sure that the incorrect DROS doesn't forever taint your AR pistol as a rifle.