PDA

View Full Version : AR BCG's (Any to avoid)

Gator Monroe
07-13-2009, 8:34 AM
Prices are wildly varrying and looks like RRA ,Stag,Arnalite,Bushmaster,J&T & PK are all now in decent price range & available in stock so which would you recomend ?

Q
07-13-2009, 8:37 AM
Colt :43:

THT
07-13-2009, 8:56 AM
You should be fine with any of those. If they aren't properly staked, find someone with a MOACKs and you'll be good to go.

Gator Monroe
07-13-2009, 8:57 AM
Neices Husband is SWAT/Leo and is a colt fan here in Texas ,but he would not part with his spare BCG unless he could replace it and I could not wait to find out as I had to move on to other stops for vacation here. (But they seem to be more plentyfull on web)

Barney Gumble
07-13-2009, 9:31 AM
To keep it in perspective I think this matters only if you put a LOT of rounds through your rifle. If I were putting say, more than 5k rounds downrange per year then I would get an MP-inspected bolt AND proactively replacing my bolt, cam pin, and maybe my firing pin and retaining clip every 10k rounds. I wouldn't worry about the carrier itself.

However in my case I doubt I've ever put more than 1k rounds downrange on a rifle in a year so I don't stress about it. If I were to do a carbine class I'd probably bring two sets of spares.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Staking is important. You can buy one of those, remove the gas key, red loctite, then stake.

Unless you're in a critical-use situation, you replace parts as needed.

To keep it in perspective I think this matters only if you put a LOT of rounds through your rifle. If I were putting say, more than 5k rounds downrange per year then I would get an MP-inspected bolt AND proactively replacing my bolt, cam pin, and maybe my firing pin and retaining clip every 10k rounds. I wouldn't worry about the carrier itself.

However in my case I doubt I've ever put more than 1k rounds downrange on a rifle in a year so I don't stress about it. If I were to do a carbine class I'd probably bring two sets of spares.

sholling
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Get on the notification list for Bravo Company.

TwitchALot
07-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Colt, BCM, or LMT are the way to go as far as BCG's are concerned. The Fail Zero's are getting decent reviews, although I'm still pretty skeptical about them (not to mention they cost an arm and a leg).

Richie Caketown
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
+2 on Colt / LMT

GM_77
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
http://global-tactical.com/gtsdennysgunssuperdutyboltcarriergroupm16-1.aspx

I like these (have 3), all are properly staked and if you scroll down he tells you what goes in them and how he makes it.

tiger222
07-13-2009, 1:24 PM
The only issue I ever had with a bcg was Oly- the extractor claw broke!
Never again

Swatter911
07-13-2009, 1:27 PM
Colt, BCM, Denny's are all good to go. Colt are expensive and hard to find. Bravo is top quality and you can sign up for the email notification when they come in stock. I'm holding off my recommendation of LMT BCGs as they just switched to a MIM gas key. Denny's are also very well made.