PDA

View Full Version : wolf ammunition? long range hunting?

macywouldgo
07-13-2009, 7:50 AM
is wolf ammunition ok. im hunting long distance do i need hallow or soft point or other? is 62 grade ok. im hunting with a 223.

rksimple
07-13-2009, 7:53 AM
What do you consider long range? Wolf ammo and long range do not normally go together.

macywouldgo
07-13-2009, 8:42 AM
200 YARDS +

rksimple
07-13-2009, 8:52 AM
Beyond 200, and assuming you aren't in condor territory, you'll want something better than Wolf can offer. Past 300, you're not going to get the results you want.

skkeeter
07-13-2009, 8:54 AM
What are you trying to shoot? If your actually trying to take something down, get some hunting rounds. No need to needlessly waste ammo and an animals life by just wounding it and it escaping. 200 yards+ with wolf, good luck.

Full Clip
07-13-2009, 9:46 AM
Wolf Gold, maybe. (Since Wolf doesn't actually make it.)
Why don't you take some out to the range and see how your rife likes it? You're not going hunting with untried, untested ammo are you?

Brutish
07-13-2009, 9:54 AM
What are you hunting? Unless it is rabbits/coyotes or ground squirrels, why on Earth would you skimp on ammo that you won't be shooting much of (say, less than 10 rounds after sighting in and actually shooting the animal) when you will have spent so much money on getting out to and doing the hunt; you will also be risking not getting a clean kill with inferior ammo. Also, what is long range? It generally isn't ethical to take really long shots on animals because of the variables associated with long shots. Try stalking and getting closer.

I suppose if you are just shooting varmints, my above statements don't apply. So, disregard if that is the case. On the other hand, if you are just shooting varmints, why are you even asking about what ammo you are using, just go shoot 'em.

P.S. I use Wolf all the time as plinking/practice ammo. I love it as a cheap practice ammo.

5hundo
07-13-2009, 10:02 AM
What are you hunting? Unless it is rabbits/coyotes or ground squirrels, why on Earth would you skimp on ammo that you won't be shooting much of (say, less than 10 rounds after sighting in and actually shooting the animal) when you will have spent so much money on getting out to and doing the hunt; you will also be risking not getting a clean kill with inferior ammo.

+1

...what he said. ;)

reidnez
07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Buy a few boxes of ammo--different brands, bullet weights, and bullet types--and see what your rifle likes best.

You will probably find that Wolf is not adequate for what you're proposing. An accurate weapon and accurate ammo go hand-in-hand. In other words, a shoddy gun will not shoot much (if any) straighter with premium ammunition than with Wolf. A world-class benchrest rifle can never shoot its best with shoddy ammunition.

Nothing against cheap ammo, I shoot it most of the time. But as mentioned above, when it actually counts (matches, hunting) and you're only going to use a limited amount anyway, it is worth it to buy the good stuff.