PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest OLL in the Bay Area?

Tyrius
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Who can I turn to for a good deal on an OLL in the Bay Area? Don't really care what brand, so long as I can pop a parts kit into it, slap an upper on top of it, and make it go bang.

BeyondInferno
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, check out AAA Sporting Goods in Vallejo. Last I checked they had Spikes for around $175.

dskell
07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
You're not looking to shop online? I purchased a Stag lower for 108 shipped off the net.

bootcamp
07-12-2009, 11:12 PM
$100 bucks online + shipping to a $65 FFL would be your cheapest bet. You could probably get it all for $175 out the door.

Now if you want a local dealer, irvington arms has CMMGs for $180 + tax + dros. My friend just picked one up last week.

maxima
07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
FYI:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=201971

Tyrius
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
A lot of the 03 FFLs in the Bay Area charge what I consider to be exorbitant rates for transfer. I think the cheapest I found was $150 after all was said and done. If I can get it done in person for about that price, I'd rather do that than deal with organizing a transfer between in/out-of-state FFLs..

elrcastor
07-13-2009, 8:32 AM
castro valley gun shop will charge $50 if you mention you are from calguns

BlackDrop50
07-13-2009, 8:36 AM
Irvington Arms is right near you, should be 200 otd

Ezekiel2000
07-13-2009, 8:49 AM
I believe J&R had some Grizzlys for $149 before tax and DROS...

Or you could spend an extra $30 and not have the cheapest, but instead be doing a lot to support this website and the folks behind it!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200552

bootcamp
07-13-2009, 9:01 AM
castro valley gun shop will charge $50 if you mention you are from calguns

Is that including or not including state DROS fees?

Ezekiel2000
07-13-2009, 9:16 AM
Is that including or not including state DROS fees?

Not including.
Also they have a policy of charging sales tax on the order.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2235049&postcount=9

doughboy334
07-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Got my Charles Daly lower 169.99 at City Arms back in April. (Price not including DROS and tax)

aplinker
07-13-2009, 10:55 AM
You aren't going to save much and might spend more on driving.

Why not support your local gun shop?

Tyrius
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
$200 out the door? I'll have to poke my head into Irvington Arms and see what they've got.

Plinker, you're right; I oughta support the home team instead of spending the time and money driving somewhere just to save a few bucks.

nagorb
07-14-2009, 2:06 AM
Got my Charles Daly lower 169.99 at City Arms back in April. (Price not including DROS and tax)

city arms is a good bet.

dixieD
07-14-2009, 7:04 AM
J&R had LAR Grizzles for about $149. Don't know if they still have them. They are local and IMO a great shop!

Opps. My apologies for the dupe.

bootcamp
07-14-2009, 8:10 AM
IMHO, we're all doing this for a hobby, we're not getting ready for assault attacks on some terrorists. Take your time and shop around for the best prices.

I can tell you right now your local gun shop it looking to capitalize on the locals. Nothing against them, but that's just the way it is. CA FFLs know 'some' locals will pay top dollar and that's who they are after.

Now you have your local FFLs who will transfer from out of state but again are looking to capitalize on the out of state transfer as well. This is where you shop around. Being in a major bay area, you have over a dozen FFLs at your disposal. I've called at least 20 FFLs and I can tell you that each and every single one of them has some kind of 'fine print' fee. Heck I wouldn't doubt if they're all in on this together in some way shape or fashion. If they can't get $150-175 for their on the shelf lower, they will get their $50-75 from you from the out of state transfer.

So what you wanna do is shop for the lowest online retailer who will ship to CA which by the way the list of retailers willing to ship to CA grows by the month. Again, this probably with out of state FFLs working together to "get in on the CA comeup". To the "free state dealer" that has never lost access to AR/AKs, gaining sales to CA is like a cocaine dealer finding a NEW rich white collar community to sell cocaine to. CA has been revirginized in terms to being able to sell to again.

The lowest i've found online for a lower is $99. The cheapest FFL that will transfer an OLL is $65 flat which is in San Jose. There are a handful of dealers willing to do $75 flat. There are another handful of dealers that will do $75 + cost of use tax. There are another handful of dealers that will do $100 flat. Then there are the 'royal' $100+$25 dros or more dealers.

Shop around. These dealers gotta eat, but we also gotta save some dollars for food on OUR own plates.

Calif Mini
07-14-2009, 8:29 AM
+ 1 on Irv. Arms

Save gas, time and be able to talk with anyone behind the counter because they all know what you need and how to put it together. If you find yourself in a bind when assembling your new piece just check back with them. They have many of the little parts that seem to get lost too.

I can vouch for Irvington Arms as I have been a customer for a while now and am glad they are close and always willing to help out with my projects. I have no affiliation with I-A.

I only wish they had more reloading stuff.

Good luck on your OLL project.

Ed

Tyrius
07-14-2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the insight, guys. I appreciate it!