PDA

View Full Version : Lothar Walther barrels

eaglemike
07-12-2009, 7:35 PM
Seems like I've read good things about them. :) Coleman Tyler has a 20" in stock right now with match (stripped) bolt. Anyone here using one?
all the best,
Mike

Jonathan Doe
07-12-2009, 7:59 PM
Lothar Walther barrels are best known for their 22LR barrels in my opinion. But, many people like their centerfire barrels also.

fusionstar
07-12-2009, 8:44 PM
Lothar Walther barrels are excellent. I had an airgun with one of their match barrels. 1" at 50 yards... with an airgun. And dented walmart pellets. lol.

phish
07-12-2009, 8:48 PM
I have two service rifle uppers built using LW barrels. They both shoot very well. You'll find some internet voodoo about LW50 steel, but the smith who put together one of my uppers told me it's pretty similar to 416, but seems to machine easier.

Blacktail 8541
07-13-2009, 6:42 AM
I've put together several uppers with LW barrels. They are a quality barrel.

BigBamBoo
07-13-2009, 7:16 AM

Barney Gumble
07-13-2009, 8:35 AM
There are many quality barrel makers out there....and for the most part most of them will shoot as good as the next quality barrel. The thing that will make any given barrel (with everything else being equal) be a good shooting vs a excellent shooter is the chambering.

Take care,Stan

+1

The other thing to keep in mind is that the best barrel is only as good as you are.

Bug Splat
07-13-2009, 2:10 PM
I bought one for my 6.5-284 savage build. Looked very clean both inside and out. I have not shot it yet do to lack of primers but the barrel looks awesome and very well made. I will be getting the primers this week so I hope to fire my first round through her this weekend. Can't wait. Will post review.

Not to disrespect Phish but the LW40 is a lot harder to machine then 416. Its much harder on your cutters then 416. LW40 barrels tend to last longer as well due to less throat erosion.

Shenaniguns
07-13-2009, 2:54 PM
Larue uses them and has excellent results...

eaglemike
07-13-2009, 3:13 PM
+1

The other thing to keep in mind is that the best barrel is only as good as you are.
W/ a VBG :43: - well, duh! :) I've been shooting long enough to know I have limitations - and it's almost never the barrel, so we are in agreement! :) There's been a few times I've done a re-crowning job on a handgun barrel, made a substantial difference.

Thanks for the feedback! I know barrels vary some, AR type are hard to find in stock, so we'll see..... :)

all the best,
Mike