DRH
03-08-2005, 5:58 PM
xyz

trever1t
03-08-2005, 6:37 PM
Nice looking range! and nice .50 too!

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
03-08-2005, 6:40 PM
Unfortunately general knowledge of the current firearms laws hasn't seemed to trickle down to all levels yet... if it ever will.

I've seen guys at the range that were shooting absolutely no-doubt about it, illegal firearms (SBRs mainly). But you know what? It's not my business. If the range officers what to make an issue of it, that's their thing. Me? As long as you're practicing the four rules, I don't care what you shoot.

Nice looking range- needs some trees and shade (I'm spoiled I know).

BigAL
03-08-2005, 7:29 PM
Some people have nothing better to do than get into other people's business. I've seen people shooting illegal guns before and it doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Ford8N
03-08-2005, 8:16 PM
Oh yea, try getting lectured by a guy wearing a cowboyhat and jodhpurs tucked in his Tony Lama boots. Sad and funny at the same time. I love the Cowboy shooters. http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

03-08-2005, 9:21 PM
Next time just tell him to have a coke and a smile and to STFU!

You're gonna have to come out to one of our group shoots with your AR-50.

Turbinator
03-08-2005, 9:42 PM
If there is a way to put a positive spin on this, he was only looking out for the well being of a fellow shooter - albeit he was misguided. He wasn't down on you for having "AW" type firearms, so that's good. He was just trying to keep you out of trouble, I suppose. Well, that's one way to see it.

Turby

1919_4_ME
03-08-2005, 9:44 PM
If you look at your pic on the top left corner right underneath your word "pins" is where one of our guys shot his bowling ball mortar and thats the spot right where it landed! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

bwiese
03-13-2005, 2:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've seen guys at the range that were shooting absolutely no-doubt about it, illegal firearms (SBRs mainly). But you know what? It's not my business. If the range officers what to make an issue of it, that's their thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some people have nothing better to do than get into other people's business. I've seen people shooting illegal guns before and it doesn't bother me in the least bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lotsa RSOs don't necessarily know the laws either. They're looking for overall safe conduct, which of course should be their primary duty.

Over the last 5+ years I have carefully and quietly let folks know when they've had an illegally config'd AW. And I've seen several SBR ARs where people thought you can just drop any ol' upper on.

Most folks were generally appreciative of my comments and how I told them they could rectify situation (and what penalties were). A couple of guys told me to go fly a kite - one was an SBR guy.

The problem here is this is just a short step to seeing sensational headlines, "Illegal Guns at Gun Ranges - Is there A Machinegun at Your Local Range". More bad press.

I never push, I just let people know if I see something obvious.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Rascal
03-16-2005, 9:06 PM
Sorry for the off-topic question, but what does "SBR" stand for?

bwiese
03-16-2005, 9:17 PM
Rascal..

No worries. Threw out jargon w/o details, sorry...

<LI>SBR = Short-Barreled Rifle - a rifle whose barrel is less than 16". Requires a Fed 'tax stamp' - much like a machinegun - to be legal for civilian use if state also allows you to possess one. These are part of "NFA" registry (below).

[On ARs, lotsa guys have problems with 14.5" M4 barrels - a no-no. This is why flash hider or brake bringing it out to 16" has to be PERMANENTLY attached (welded, silver soldered, etc.) - if it's removable, you have an SBR.]

<LI>NFA = National Firearms Act; the act passed in 1934 regulating specialty firearms like full-auto guns (machineguns), sawed-off shotguns, short-barreled rifles, "Any Other Weapon" configurations like buttstocks on pistols or foregrips on pistols, etc. The NFA is actually really administrative TAX law, not gun law. Prob some related updates via GCA (Gun Control Act) of 1968.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Rascal
03-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for bringing me up to speed Bill.
I can always learn something form you. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif