PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mini-14

evan69
07-12-2009, 6:39 PM
I have the money to get one and my lust for a semi-automatic rifle is brewing. The only question I have (other than, should I really spend all my money on this? :eek::confused:) is what is the accuracy like on the newer models? I have heard they are more accurate than the older models, which I have heard top out at about a 5" grouping, so how accurate are the newer ones?

I would be getting it in .223 of course.

chsk9
07-12-2009, 6:49 PM
I have a new NRA model and I can that compared to my 1989 ranch rifle it should almost be called a mini15! Still could use a trigger job but it is much more accurate, much better sights, and does not throw brass into the next county. If you can find one get the NRA model with 16" barrel.

rino
07-12-2009, 6:52 PM
a friend at work just got a new one , i have a older one. my groups are 4"-6" at 100yrd his are 2"-4".

colddeadhands
07-12-2009, 6:56 PM
I wish I still had mine. I had a ranch rifle till last year, but i traded it to my cousin for a saddle. I needed the saddle more. It always shot good, I only had open sights on it. I took it every where, it was reliable, easy to shoot and ammo is relatively easy to find.

oldschool88
07-12-2009, 6:56 PM
You will get ALOT of people saying that they are innaccurate junk. The problem is most people compare them to AR's. Let me start by saying that I have both a Mini 14 and AR's. I like them both and they both have their place. It is true that Mini's aren't known for accuracy, but I would compare it to an AK. Rugged and accurate enough to get the job done. It is not the rifle to use for a target competetion.

You have to decide what you want to accomplish with it and if it is the best choice. There are other options such as the Keltec and Saiga 223 in the same price range. I personally think the Mini is the best choice when compared to the above because it just feels solid. It is a real solid little rifle that will take a lot of abuse.

P.S. the new ones are more accurate, and mini's throw brass like crazy. Have fun.:)

evan69
07-12-2009, 7:06 PM
For practicing my accuracy, and recording it, I think I will be using my .270. The ranch rifle would probably end up being a "I'm on the paper plinking having a good time" rifle. I would also use it to kill some little critters...

oldschool88
07-12-2009, 7:26 PM
For practicing my accuracy, and recording it, I think I will be using my .270. The ranch rifle would probably end up being a "I'm on the paper plinking having a good time" rifle. I would also use it to kill some little critters...

Mini 14 would be perfect for that. Plus it will eat cheap ammo all day! I would reccomend a version with the stainless barrel, It is alot easier to clean/keep clean.

evan69
07-12-2009, 7:37 PM
Mini 14 would be perfect for that. Plus it will eat cheap ammo all day! I would reccomend a version with the stainless barrel, It is alot easier to clean/keep clean.

Would that "cheap ammo" include wolf? That would be wonderful if it did.

El Gato
07-12-2009, 7:43 PM
You will get ALOT of people saying that they are innaccurate junk. The problem is most people compare them to AR's. Let me start by saying that I have both a Mini 14 and AR's. I like them both and they both have their place. It is true that Mini's aren't known for accuracy, but I would compare it to an AK. Rugged and accurate enough to get the job done. It is not the rifle to use for a target competetion.

You have to decide what you want to accomplish with it and if it is the best choice. There are other options such as the Keltec and Saiga 223 in the same price range. I personally think the Mini is the best choice when compared to the above because it just feels solid. It is a real solid little rifle that will take a lot of abuse.

P.S. the new ones are more accurate, and mini's throw brass like crazy. Have fun.:)

+1
couldn't agree more...
If you want a Self Defense rifle I can't think of a better gun...fewer parts than the AR and will work when very very dirty and it is accurate enough when you consider most self defense is at about 5 yards .... so why do I need 1/2 moa at 100 yds for a self defense rifle... and yes I would choose my mini for home defense and it is sitting 5 feet from me loaded as we speak and yes my registered AR is also loaded but not chambered either but it is locked in my super duper armored up safe bolted to concrete etc.. cause it ain't replaceable ....

The AR is fun and is accurate and feeds well been there done that... just finished an integrated rifle/handgun course at Thunder Ranch a few weeks ago with it and my OLL rifle....

But the Mini was in the truck in case the AR went down....

I am fortunate to have normal cap ruger brand mags for mine... blessed is another word for it...

oldschool88
07-12-2009, 7:44 PM
I shoot Wolf, Brown Bear, basically whatever, and I have never had a problem.

oldschool88
07-12-2009, 7:47 PM
...and yes I would choose my mini for home defense and it is sitting 5 feet from me loaded as we speak...

That funny, mine is also. Right here and ready to go.

El Gato
07-12-2009, 8:06 PM
That funny, mine is also. Right here and ready to go.

28 rds of Win. Q3131 in the gun
another mag with the same and a 20 rd mag with 19 in it...
The set on my with their evil deeds...hopefully I will have time to go amongst them and read 'em from the book... sow destruction and reap .55 gr ball....:eek:
They might get me... but it won't be for lack of my shootin' back...
Or that's the way I see it anyway...

set 'em on fire...:18::18:

K1LLROI
07-12-2009, 8:09 PM
MINI all the way...
Mini14NRA is the ish..

evan69
07-12-2009, 9:01 PM
Sounds like I'll be getting it. Thanks guys. I will very much enjoy plinking my first semi automatic rifle, and I will sleep soundly knowing I have a great home defense weapon by my bedside. Hope I don't need to use it though haha.

popeye4
07-12-2009, 9:16 PM
Sounds like I'll be getting it. Thanks guys. I will very much enjoy plinking my first semi automatic rifle, and I will sleep soundly knowing I have a great home defense weapon by my bedside. Hope I don't need to use it though haha.

Think hard about using .223 in a home defense situation, particularly if you are using full patch military ammo. That stuff can go through several walls of typical housing construction. But if its all ya got......

fusionstar
07-12-2009, 9:25 PM
SAIGA SAIGA SAIGA.. Hey man.. its an AK!

evan69
07-12-2009, 9:31 PM
Think hard about using .223 in a home defense situation, particularly if you are using full patch military ammo. That stuff can go through several walls of typical housing construction. But if its all ya got......

I would use some kind of special ammunition for home defense. Something that would break up in any wall. Hollow point might even suffice.

justinjames
07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
had a 30, it was a POS, thats just my experience to his their own, or however the sayinggoes haha

Scratch705
07-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I would use some kind of special ammunition for home defense. Something that would break up in any wall. Hollow point might even suffice.

or frangible ;)

SCMA-1
07-13-2009, 5:57 AM
Nothing wrong with the Minis; I have 2 Mini-14's and a Mini-30 from back in the day. They were inexpensive and reliable alternatives to AR's back then. Not the most accurate but extremely rugged and reliable. I have lots of AR's but I would not part with my Minis. I'm actually thinking about getting a new production Mini-14 when the prices come back down to reasonable levels; the improved accuracy of the new ones is a big plus to an already great design.

SCMA-1

sergeantrex
07-13-2009, 6:41 AM
Minis Rock! Been shooten em at work for 16 years. I have seen my eyesight wane over the years and my qualification scores drop at the same time. Time for old guy glasses I think.

GoodGuy96
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I recently picked one up and love it as much as I thought I would. Also have an AR that is close to my heart. What are you guys doing about the damaged brass and 25' ejection problem w/ the mini?.