PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here shoot lever-action 1892 .357s?

TonyNorCal
02-23-2005, 8:41 AM
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a model 1892 lever-action .357. I'm looking specfically at stainless Pumas and blued Marlins. Do you think one is better than the other?

Also, I've hard some say that .38s sometimes have trouble feeding in these. Is that your experience? And if so is the Puma or Marline more accepting? 'Cause .38s are cheaper for plinking http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

TonyNorCal
02-23-2005, 8:41 AM
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a model 1892 lever-action .357. I'm looking specfically at stainless Pumas and blued Marlins. Do you think one is better than the other?

Also, I've hard some say that .38s sometimes have trouble feeding in these. Is that your experience? And if so is the Puma or Marline more accepting? 'Cause .38s are cheaper for plinking http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

jmlivingston
02-23-2005, 9:02 AM
I spoke with a seemingly knowledgable clerk at the counter of Turners (in Orange) about a year ago, he said he did a lot of 3-gun cowboy shooting and he had lots of high praise for Puma. If I recall correctly we were looking at a .45 LC, and I think he said something about being able to use another caliber in it as well, seems like he said .45acp but that doesn't make sense (rimmed vs non-rimmed cartridge).

Can anyone confirm cartridge compatibility in these?

BigRich
02-23-2005, 1:55 PM
I am pretty sure the clerk was referring to 45 Schofield cartridges. They are essentially slightly shorter 45 LC rounds developed for the breaktop S&Ws of the day and adopted by the US Cavalry. They are also slightly lower in power. I have a SS Puma 92 that is about 6 years old (pre-firing pin safety) in 357 mag. I did alot of internal smoothing and polishing on it to slick it up and lighten the trigger pull. It works very well and is as accuracte as you could expect a light little levergun to be. Mine is not sensitive to 38spcl. rounds unless you use full wadcutters. It has to do with the length of the round on the lifter and the angle that produces to the edge of the chamber vs the cartridge nose. Anything roundnose goes right through it. Shooting standard velocity 38 spcl in that gun is almost like shooting a pellet gun. I chronographed some Miwall 357 mag 160 gr. +p stuff through it and it was just shy of 2000 fps so would be useful as a small game hunter. Even with that load recoil was extremely mild.

maxicon
02-23-2005, 3:52 PM
I've got a Marlin 1894 (don't know how different it is from an 1892), and it feeds both .357 and .38 just fine. I only shoot FMJ, SJHP, and such; no wadcutters, no lead.

It could use a bit of smoothing, but it's a B project, which means maybe one day...

max

TonyNorCal
02-23-2005, 6:58 PM
Thanks guys.

BigRich, the stainless Puma is exactly the one I'm looking at. So you're saying it should feed round-nosed .38 ammo? I ask because I'd like to be able to just pick-up cheap Wally-World ammo to plink. The stuff I have now is mostly rounded with a small flat area across the top.

Maxicon. Will yours shoot cheap Wally World stuff?

Turbinator
02-23-2005, 8:12 PM
I've got a question for those with experience. I often see these lever actions selling with a straight stock or a non-straight stock. What's the difference, why would one go for one over the other, or is it strictly a personal preference thing? Benefits of either config?

Thanks..
Turby

maxicon
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep, I mostly shoot cheap ammo in mine; it's a plinker for me. Wallyworld, gun show reloads, whatever I can get cheap that's FMJ or semi-jacketed, in both .357 and .38. The flat truncated cone hasn't caused me any trouble so far. Now and again I'll put some of my HP defense loads through it, and it's fine with them as well. Never had a hiccup, but I've probably put less than a thousand rounds through it.

Can't say about the stock differences; I got mine cheap and used (yah, baby!), and it had a straight stock. Someone with more lever gun experience will have to chime in here.

max

BigRich
02-24-2005, 1:57 AM
Tony,
Mine does. It is also very reliable using 38 spcl 158 LSWC so it should do well with round nose ammo.
Re: the stock, I think it is personal preference. I have leverguns in both styles. I find the straight stock to be better for quick shooting. It just seems faster. The pistol gripped stocks will be better for rifles that recoil harder since they allow a better hold.

ivanimal
02-24-2005, 2:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've got a question for those with experience. I often see these lever actions selling with a straight stock or a non-straight stock. What's the difference, why would one go for one over the other, or is it strictly a personal preference thing? Benefits of either config?

Thanks..
Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find the Curved stock way more comfortable to shoot I wont even buy a shotgun with the traditional stocks. It may have something to do with a broken arm I had in High school. This is why I had to buy the Marlin 1895 in blue. I would have preffered a stainless guide gun but none was available in curved stock. This is also why I prefer the Marlins over the Winchesters. When you shoot the 45-70 it pays to be comfortable.