PDA

View Full Version : All steel AR-15 receivers?

River Jack
07-12-2009, 5:01 PM
Looking for an all steel (not aluminum) milspec AR-15 receiver. Anyone know where to get one?

OCMI_Teddy
07-12-2009, 5:22 PM
I think DPMS used to make a few, why would you want a steel lower?

popeye4
07-12-2009, 5:24 PM
Looking for an all steel (not aluminum) milspec AR-15 receiver. Anyone know where to get one?

If it's milspec, it's not steel.

Mute
07-12-2009, 5:26 PM
Uh......why?

maxima
07-12-2009, 5:26 PM

Completed with steel pistol grip and steel buttstock? I've never seen one in person.

Twinspool
07-12-2009, 5:31 PM
Boris the bulletdodger says "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable."

Seriously, have you worn out an aluminum AR yet?

tiger222
07-12-2009, 5:43 PM
There was a company making stainless lowers - can't remember the name, sorry. The only reason I could forsee using one is for 50cal- ish use....

popeye4
07-12-2009, 5:52 PM
Uh......why?

"Milspec" stands for "Military Specification". That specification calls for a specific alloy of aluminum (T7075, I believe) manufactured to a specific method (forging).

The lower is a case for the trigger group and a holder for the magazine. You get absolutely no benefit from making it out of steel.

ke6guj
07-12-2009, 6:00 PM
"Milspec" stands for "Military Specification". That specification calls for a specific alloy of aluminum (T7075, I believe) manufactured to a specific method (forging).this.

AFAIK, No AR-15 receiver is mil-spec, since the Military never spec'ed out a semi-auto recevier. So, what most manufacturers do is make it as close to the mil-spec as possible with regards to forgings, materials, finish, etc, and then machine it as close to M-16 specs as possible, with the exception of the full-auto stuff.

The lower is a case for the trigger group and a holder for the magazine. You get absolutely no benefit from making it out of steel. you benefit if you want a stronger or heaver "case".

problemchild
07-12-2009, 6:02 PM
I want a steel lower so I can put my refrigerator magnets on it.

Mssr. Eleganté
07-12-2009, 6:17 PM
...you benefit if you want a stronger or heaver "case".

I think with AR15 lowers, harder is better than stronger. But yeah, anything can be a benefit if you want it. A case of "crabs" would be a benifit to me if I wanted to get more practice scratching my crotch. :p

evan69
07-12-2009, 6:33 PM
The heavier the gun the more accurate and reliable it is right?

aplinker
07-12-2009, 6:40 PM
The heavier the gun the more accurate and reliable it is right?

:confused:

Heavier guns tend to make shooters more accurate. The weight of the gun doesn't affect ballistics, unless that weight is adding to barrel rigidity.

River Jack
07-12-2009, 6:46 PM
The reason I want to purchase an all steel AR-15 lower receiver is because I'm looking for a the perfect match for my lonely Bohica MK-III .50dtc upper. I know just about any off-list AR-15 lower will work, however have heard/read that eventually (after perhaps hundreds/thousands of rounds) that the pressure placed on the pins by the heavier recoil of the .50 cal. can result in the eventual stretching/loosening of the pin holes, which in turn results in a ruined hunk of aluminum that won't work for anything but a cool-looking parper weight. A steel lower would not likely be subject to this warpage.

And, ok, maybe steel technically isn't milspec, but I need a lower that is as close to the same specifications as any other standard allegedly milspec lower (some, not quite milspec lowers apparently don't fit too well).

And, yes, steel is heavier (at least a few ounces) and therefore will help reduce recoil (another plus).

So, are there any out there that are off list that I can obtain?

rabagley
07-12-2009, 6:57 PM
The only non-alumium, non-bronze receiver that I know of is made by DPMS, and that's on-list.

I'd find an 80% bronze casting and complete it. Be careful to stay away from ar15plus.com

sprintcar
07-12-2009, 7:00 PM
there was a couple of manufactures that made titanium lowers. That would be really cool for your application. If I remember they were around $400-500.

nicoroshi
07-12-2009, 7:07 PM
DPMS Stainless lower (http://www.impactguns.com/store/LR-05-SST.html)

Maybe something like this??? (https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_category.asp?CategoryID=29)

Or this??? (https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286)

Not steel but these look nice, and would match that upper nicely (http://www.primalrights.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=10)

slick_711
07-12-2009, 7:14 PM
So use a standard receiver and if after thousands of rounds of .50 DTC the holes become out of spec you can buy a new lower receiver...?

It's not like you're going to go fire 3k rounds of .50 DTC this weekend. :confused:

aplinker
07-12-2009, 7:15 PM
Before you jump into buying something to fix what is a minimally slight chance at a potential problem, you might want to just shoot and enjoy it with a standard lower.

Some perceived problems aren't a big deal.

If you really wear it out after, what, 5k rounds... will the $140 for a new lower really matter compared to the second barrel and $15,000 you've spent on ammo?

The reason I want to purchase an all steel AR-15 lower receiver is because I'm looking for a the perfect match for my lonely Bohica MK-III .50dtc upper. I know just about any off-list AR-15 lower will work, however have heard/read that eventually (after perhaps hundreds/thousands of rounds) that the pressure placed on the pins by the heavier recoil of the .50 cal. can result in the eventual stretching/loosening of the pin holes, which in turn results in a ruined hunk of aluminum that won't work for anything but a cool-looking parper weight. A steel lower would not likely be subject to this warpage.

And, ok, maybe steel technically isn't milspec, but I need a lower that is as close to the same specifications as any other standard allegedly milspec lower (some, not quite milspec lowers apparently don't fit too well).

And, yes, steel is heavier (at least a few ounces) and therefore will help reduce recoil (another plus).

So, are there any out there that are off list that I can obtain?

River Jack
07-12-2009, 7:17 PM
So use a standard receiver and if after thousands of rounds of .50 DTC the holes become out of spec you can buy a new lower receiver...?

It's not like you're going to go fire 3k rounds of .50 DTC this weekend. :confused:

Yes, but the original one is then ruined forever. I hate ruining something when there is another alternative. I like to at least try to do things right the first time. And, I agree, I may never fire 3000 rounds thru it, but who knows, maybe it gets all stretched out after 500 rounds (which still would probably take me like 10 years).

Mute
07-12-2009, 7:20 PM
"Milspec" stands for "Military Specification". That specification calls for a specific alloy of aluminum (T7075, I believe) manufactured to a specific method (forging).

The lower is a case for the trigger group and a holder for the magazine. You get absolutely no benefit from making it out of steel.

No, I mean why would anyone want a steel AR lower receiver.

ke6guj
07-12-2009, 7:24 PM
The reason I want to purchase an all steel AR-15 lower receiver is because I'm looking for a the perfect match for my lonely Bohica MK-III .50dtc upper.

So, are there any out there that are off list that I can obtain?Maybe the Bohica single-shot lower that is available in steel.

http://www.primalrights.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=11

Mssr. Eleganté
07-12-2009, 7:41 PM
Yes, but the original one is then ruined forever. I hate ruining something when there is another alternative.

Yeah, but if you spend the $250 for a steel lower instead of spending $125 for a regular one then you might have just ruined $125 of your money forever. But if you buy two regular lowers for $250 then you will either end up with an extra lower or with one ruined lower that you can chalk up to research for the shooting community. :p

REDHORSE
07-12-2009, 7:43 PM
If the receiver holes ever get deformed, you can always have steel bushings installed to repair the receiver.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/suppressorrepair.htm (http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Epicplace/suppressorrepair.htm)

Probably cheaper in the long run, to just have back-up/spare OLL receivers.

Linus
07-12-2009, 7:46 PM
For the price of one steel lower you can just buy two aluminum lowers so you can have a spare for when you stretch out the pin holes, which I think you're stressing about too much.

yakmon
07-12-2009, 8:03 PM
mmmm, titanium......

EBR Works
07-12-2009, 8:27 PM
Spider Firearms makes a single shot steel lower for .50 cal applications complete with a match trigger and stock. See here:

http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

Look for F-50 /Multi-Caliber Lowers half way down the page.

Call Dave. He's really great to deal with.

yellowfin
07-12-2009, 8:32 PM
One steel lower I've seen was a full auto one. You can see it on YouTube- look up Causality M16, one of the best gun pr0n videos ever.

River Jack
07-12-2009, 9:00 PM
You guys all have some great points. I am aware of at least one all steel single shot lower. I prefer the magwell look, however. Yeah, when it comes to my guns, I'm vain like that. My guns have to look good!

I think you guys just talked me into simply using a standard receiver. You're right, after spending all that money on ammo, the receiver seems like a drop in the bucket. And realistically, I'll probably only get to shoot this thing like 2 or 3 a year, probably less than 50 rounds. So, it's gonna take a while to wear out anything out (I hope), hopefully never. With that, I'm now leaning toward just a standard receiver, probably my Mega.

Thanks for all your input. As usual, I learned a few things. Out.

FJKernel
07-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Maybe the Bohica single-shot lower that is available in steel.

I don't think the bohica lower is available period. I've seen nothing but screen shots... But seeing how they are just ripping off a copy of what, the MagPul lower, the cad file they are using is freely available so you could make your own or take it to some one to make an 80% lower for you (then you finish it).