PDA

View Full Version : Safety Handling Demonstration???

sks
04-25-2005, 2:32 AM
I guess this is a new thing? I have not bought a pistol for a while, so would someone please fill me in on what this is?

sks
04-25-2005, 2:32 AM
I guess this is a new thing? I have not bought a pistol for a while, so would someone please fill me in on what this is?

MadMex
04-25-2005, 2:59 AM
From the CA DOJ page:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#18

“How do I get an HSC?
You may obtain an HSC by passing the DOJ HSC test administered by a DOJ Certified Instructor.

(PC sections 12800 - 12809)”

Don’t forget about taking the appropriate lock(s) when picking up the firearm from the FFL.

rkt88edmo
04-25-2005, 9:18 AM
Safe Handling drill consists of loading and unloding the firearm as well as manipulating any applicable safeties. You can see the steps in the HSC Study Guide (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/index.html) .

There is also an emphasis on visually and physically inspecting the chamber to be sure the firearm is not loaded.

Kruzr
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
You must keep your finger off the trigger and make sure you don't point the muzzle at anyone during the safety demonstration. Those are automatic fails and you have to start over when I give one.

Turbinator
04-25-2005, 1:43 PM
You also apparently have to do everything as written exactly in that order. If you skip a step, you have to start over.

Take your time, don't go too fast, follow the directions, and you should be fine.

Turby

bear
04-26-2005, 9:17 AM
You know, the last two times I went to pick up a handgun, the dealers "forgot" to even give me the test.

They both know I already have guns, though, it's not like I'm a new gun owner.

For new owners I think it's a good idea. Since the written test can be passed just by studying a book, you can buy a handgun without ever handling one before.

Kruzr
04-26-2005, 10:38 AM
When the law first passed, I was pretty much against it and thought it unnecessary and just another hurdle in the gun buying process. However, since I've been giving the safety demonstration, I'm now convinced it is a good thing for first time buyers. You would be amazed at how many people buy a pistol and are unable to lock the slide back when asked. I think it's a waste of time for anyone who is already familiar with guns but the way I figure it, it doesn't hurt for the newbies.

rjones0604
04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
MadMex,

In addition to 'bringing the appropriate lock' when you buy a handgun ('approprate' meaning it's on the DOJ approved list) you must also have a receipt that shows you purchased the lock with the last 30 days, otherwise, you either must sign the gunsafe affidavit or purchase a new lock.

rob

sks
04-26-2005, 5:13 PM
I agree. It is a good idea for first time buyers. But for those who know what they're doing, it's kind of funny.

imported_Telpierion
04-26-2005, 6:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sks:
I agree. It is a good idea for first time buyers. But for those who know what they're doing, it's kind of funny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be cool if they added three lines on the HSC, one for each type of handgun, that the instructor could sign off on orsomething.

stillbigmac
04-26-2005, 6:18 PM
The people that fail the safe handeling denonstrations the most are older gun nuts. People new to guns usually are better listeners.

These guys know everything there is to know about guns and give me the most crap about the demonstration.. cosequently, I make them keep doing it till they get it right;
No, I never said put the hammer down while manipulating the trigger. I don't care that you always do it that way.....
quite pointing the damn thing at me ... I know its empty, but you still can't point it at me..
Don't touch the trigger...ok start over

Don't touch the trigger...ok start over..

Don't touch the trigger.... ok start over.

esskay
04-27-2005, 3:23 AM
Saw a poor fellow at Rettings once trying to do the safe handling demonstration with a brand spanking new 1911. IIRC it was a SA Leatham model, or maybe a Les Baer. Either way, the gun was TIGHT, and the poor guy (not a big guy! he was quite slight) was struggling to rack the slide FOREVER... Rettings does things by the book so they just sat there encouraging him politely while he tugged and tugged and turned red in the face.

Kruzr
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I had to do a safety demonstration when I got my Baer TRS a few years ago. It was the first one given at the FFL. It was impossible to rack back w/o an overhand grip at the back or a muzzle bump (a demonstration, no-no). Luckily, the guy giving the demo owned a Baer and knew what I was going through. He allowed me to grip it overhand to start the slide.