View Full Version : Selling out of state lowers

07-12-2009, 7:59 AM
I'm moving to the Bay Area from NV and I was wondering about my stripped lowers. In NV you are allowed to do a FTF transaction and keep them off the papers. If I wanted to sell one of these lowers to a person in CA would I have to register them first or could I meet them at a gun shop?
Also how does the process of selling a lower in CA work? It's new to me and I want to be clear on the process before I get in trouble.

07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
there is no registration of long guns in CA, except for AWs.

So, you don't have to register them first, and can just meet the buyer at a gun shop to do a PPT transfer. You will need to have a CA ID or CA DL in order to do a PPT, which is limited to $35 total in fees. Otherwise, if you still have your NV ID, then the FFL can't do the transfer as a PPT, but would do it as a normal transfer, which the FFL can charge whatever fee he wishes to do the transfer.

Now, if these are lowers that were 4473'd as a pistol in NV, then you would need to, within 60-days, register them using this form, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf , OR sell them to another person via a PPT transfer. Those pistol lowers would be worth extra in CA due to the pistol status.

07-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure they were 4473'd as receivers but I wouldn't know how to check. Bought them stripped and they might have been received before the new format.

Could I register them in CA as a pistol then sell them?

07-12-2009, 11:13 AM
If you didn't specifically have them DROSed as pistols, then I'd just sell them as receiivers, not as pistol receivers. In that case, there is no registration that you need to do when you move to CA. You could then sell them to another CA-resident through a local FFL.

07-12-2009, 7:10 PM
ok thanks. I might DROS one as a Pistol when I become a resident. I know it's hard to get those in state so it would be nice to be able to own one or facilitate someone else owning one legally.