PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Forward Assist Installation

momoshooter
07-11-2009, 4:59 PM
Anyone have any tips, instructions, youtube video, or otherwise
of installing specifically a new Forward Assist Bolt?

I'm installing a teardrop assist button, removing the old round one.

Looks like just a dowel pin is holding it in place, but cannot tell for sure.

Obviously I've never done it.

Any suggestions?

tiger222
07-11-2009, 6:33 PM
It's just a simple pin, drive the old one out using a punch, I go from bottom up.

When reinstalling it's a little trickier as you have have slight pressue on the F/A so the pin catches on the notch

very straight foward :)

VaderSpade
07-11-2009, 7:42 PM
What he said.

momoshooter
07-11-2009, 8:12 PM
It's just a simple pin, drive the old one out using a punch, I go from bottom up.

When reinstalling it's a little trickier as you have have slight pressue on the F/A so the pin catches on the notch

very straight foward :)

Yeah, ok, the PIN provided looks really big. at least it will be a helluva time beating it into place. Also, I don't see where the PIN will "catch" into anything
on the F/A.

There are two other already occupied holes in the F/A with PINS already in them. However, they are considerably smaller. So I know they can't go there.

Anyone have any links or pictures or videos?

It definitely looks straight forward, but nothing ever is when you go to actually do it.

Merc1138
07-11-2009, 9:07 PM
Check the how-to video section on brownells.com they have at least 1 that goes over the forward assist.

momoshooter
07-12-2009, 7:56 AM
Check the how-to video section on brownells.com they have at least 1 that goes over the forward assist.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!

I found it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11431/learn/

That is the good news.

However, now I realize that I don't have ANY of the tools they are suggesting.

I probably at the very least need a #3 Roll Pin punch so as to Not damage the roll pin upon removal.

I think I'll hunt around for a Calgunner who lives in the East Bay and perhaps could help me out.

Thanks again Merc!