PDA

View Full Version : BATF importation rules changing???

Professor Frink
08-02-2005, 1:24 PM
Gents,

I apologize if this is old news or isn’t even news. But there is a letter on the BATF website that seems to basically say that importation of former U.S. military arms will be approved by the BATF on an imported by importer basis, provided the weapons in question are curio and relic eligible firearms.

Am I reading the letter right? Am I getting hopeful for absolutely nothing? Is it just a scam and I'm the only one who fell for it?

Professor Frink

imported_wallysparx
08-02-2005, 3:31 PM
i've heard this as well. does anyone have any idea of how plentiful m1 carbines might be sitting in other countries for whatever reason (presumably to fight commies)?

Mike Searson
08-02-2005, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by wallysparx:
i've heard this as well. does anyone have any idea of how plentiful m1 carbines might be sitting in other countries for whatever reason (presumably to fight commies)?

There is a ****load of M1 Carbines sitting out there. Quite possibly a ****ton!

The Arms Import (Export) Control Act prohibited the importation of any arms we gave as Military Aid to another Country.

markalite@yahoo.com
08-02-2005, 6:12 PM
The only drawback I have found is that there will be no more importation of "Parts Kits" and "Non-Sporting Firearms". Not sure if it's linked, but no more importation of barrels and recievers on "Non Sporting Firearms" also.

This will mainly affect the Class III community.

Mike Searson
08-02-2005, 6:17 PM
CW

Separate issue, but yeah...the barrel ban sucks.

Also affects FAL builders and guys in America who build AK's.

pogo
08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071205openletter.pdf

ATFE seems to have a lot of leeway to interpret and deny whatever they want. Rumors of big (250K piece) Century Arms buys of M1 Garands and Carbines from Turkey remain to be seen and confirmed.
The "sporting clause" in regards to handguns doesn't sound promising for 1911s and 1917s that are in other countries. Our parents and grandparents paid for these with taxes and they should be allowed to come home.