PDA

View Full Version : Today was Hippie Day at the range.

atek3
03-05-2005, 6:36 PM
I brought 11 New people to Richmond Rod and Gun. Brought a slew of pistols and rifles, 9 guns between 12 people. We got there around 11 am. I spent the first 20 min going over the 4 rules and basic pistol operation. Then I let each of them fire 2 rounds from the ruger mk II. Then 2 rounds from the XD40. Then they got split up, with some shooting my friend's 22 lr target rifle, some shooting the XD's, and some the ruger MK II. For the adventurous in the bunch (which all turned out to be) I let shoot my antique Mosin M-39 (with Mojo aperature sights). Once every one was pretty well situated with good safety habits, I gave one on one sessions regarding sight alignment, trigger control, the "suprise break", grip, and stance. After teaching 10 newbies how to overcome the dreaded "flinch" I'd say my teaching ability has improved considerably.
My friend took all the rifles over to the hundred yard line and supervised them, while I watched the pistol shooters. The gender split was 70/30 gals and guys, only two had handled firearms before today. The most "fun" gun was a four-way-tie between my friends FAL, my Mosin, his 22 target rifle, and my XD40. Considering the posse was a bunch of granola chomping berkeley hippies, several told me I really changed their minds about 'crazy gun nuts'. One yoga person commented after I explained proper breathing for long range rifle, "She didn't know how "in touch" shooters have to be with their bodies to shoot well." To keep it fun for every one (including poor UC-Berkeley students), I let them shoot as much 40 S&W, 22 lr, and 7.62x54R, as they wanted, gratis. The 7.62x51 they bought from the range, 5 dollars for 20 (most wanted at least 20 rds out of the FAL).
Good times were had by all, people left with the same number of holes they came with, and maybe a few will be far more reluctant to believe the gun control nonsense spouted by the likes of Don Perata.
Will post pics later.

atek3

atek3
03-05-2005, 6:36 PM
I brought 11 New people to Richmond Rod and Gun. Brought a slew of pistols and rifles, 9 guns between 12 people. We got there around 11 am. I spent the first 20 min going over the 4 rules and basic pistol operation. Then I let each of them fire 2 rounds from the ruger mk II. Then 2 rounds from the XD40. Then they got split up, with some shooting my friend's 22 lr target rifle, some shooting the XD's, and some the ruger MK II. For the adventurous in the bunch (which all turned out to be) I let shoot my antique Mosin M-39 (with Mojo aperature sights). Once every one was pretty well situated with good safety habits, I gave one on one sessions regarding sight alignment, trigger control, the "suprise break", grip, and stance. After teaching 10 newbies how to overcome the dreaded "flinch" I'd say my teaching ability has improved considerably.
My friend took all the rifles over to the hundred yard line and supervised them, while I watched the pistol shooters. The gender split was 70/30 gals and guys, only two had handled firearms before today. The most "fun" gun was a four-way-tie between my friends FAL, my Mosin, his 22 target rifle, and my XD40. Considering the posse was a bunch of granola chomping berkeley hippies, several told me I really changed their minds about 'crazy gun nuts'. One yoga person commented after I explained proper breathing for long range rifle, "She didn't know how "in touch" shooters have to be with their bodies to shoot well." To keep it fun for every one (including poor UC-Berkeley students), I let them shoot as much 40 S&W, 22 lr, and 7.62x54R, as they wanted, gratis. The 7.62x51 they bought from the range, 5 dollars for 20 (most wanted at least 20 rds out of the FAL).
Good times were had by all, people left with the same number of holes they came with, and maybe a few will be far more reluctant to believe the gun control nonsense spouted by the likes of Don Perata.
Will post pics later.

atek3

Rascal
03-05-2005, 7:25 PM
Way to go!!!!
How did you get them to go shooting with you?

imported_DULLYJAY
03-05-2005, 7:29 PM
Thats great B. http://www.calguns.net/bow.gif Thanks for bring more people to our side.

Josh
03-05-2005, 8:21 PM
hmmm.. shoot with hippies instead of at them

Interesting philosphy....

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
03-05-2005, 9:57 PM
Good on you.

Bling Bling
03-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Good one. I have a lot of friends on the other side of the ballot box. I take them out all the time and they have a blast. It didn't get them swayed to vote for bush, but I think they have an understanding for our hobby and rights.

atek3
03-06-2005, 12:07 AM
It helps that I think bush is a fascist.

atek3

atek3
03-06-2005, 12:31 AM
"I think B is training his own army to take over Berkeley "

Liberating...not taking over...liberating http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
atek3

Turbinator
03-06-2005, 1:46 PM
Nice job, glad to hear someone is doing good deeds out there. Keep it up!

Turby

minion82@yahoo.com
03-06-2005, 3:14 PM
A couple of pics from early in the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/bastichen/Dscf0033sm.jpg

minion82@yahoo.com
03-06-2005, 3:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/bastichen/DSCF0034sm.jpg

ivanimal
03-06-2005, 7:58 PM
Its nice to see good americans out having fun the old fashioned way. We were all considered hippies by someone or other. Great to see a post by minion, how have you been guy? Good job Atek, did you tell the they have to wear all black in the future?

Rikarin
03-06-2005, 8:35 PM
You rock!

sned45
03-06-2005, 8:59 PM
Future gun owners? I have yet taken a new shoter to the range who didn't have a good time.

rkt88edmo
03-06-2005, 9:56 PM
Excellent!

"Please bring your favorite pair of lab safety glasses"

kalibear
03-07-2005, 9:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atek3:
...One yoga person commented after I explained proper breathing for long range rifle, "She didn't know how "in touch" shooters have to be with their bodies to shoot well." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey how come I wasn't invited? http://www.calguns.net/bow.gif http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hippies, eh?
Where the hell is all the tie-dye, VW micro buses and Joplin?

atek3
03-07-2005, 6:12 PM
Technically Ted is correct (of course), in 10 years most of those people will be succesful. Right now of course, they have dreads, live in a co-op, eat only plants, and listen to phish. So they are temporary neo-hippies.

atek3

ivanimal
03-08-2005, 12:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">live in a co-op, eat only plants, and listen to phish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im gonna barf!

MrBubba
03-08-2005, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Basura Blanca:
Hippies, eh?
Where the hell is all the tie-dye, VW micro buses and Joplin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the guy sporting the black beret and the purse qualifies

wheelgunner
03-08-2005, 5:21 AM
Oh CRAP! You just corrupted the minds of our future leaders............. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Just Kidding. Great job B!

jnojr
03-09-2005, 4:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atek3:
Technically Ted is correct (of course), in 10 years most of those people will be succesful. Right now of course, they have dreads, live in a co-op, eat only plants </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next stop? The steakhouse... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You'll be making good, honest, red-blooded Americans out of 'em yet... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

atek3
03-09-2005, 5:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">guy sporting the black beret and the purse qualifies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that wasn't a purse, it was a tactical-man bag.

anyway that dude is cool, he's from aussie.

atek3

03-09-2005, 5:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">guy sporting the black beret and the purse qualifies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that wasn't a purse, it was a tactical-man bag.

anyway that dude is cool, he's from aussie.

atek3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But is he a card-carrying hippy? That was the question. The guy's shades, goatee and beret say "cool" all over them. No one is doubting his "coolness". Seriously.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fastmanusa
03-09-2005, 5:56 PM
Great job. Way to spread the sport. I have found most people that don't like guns have never shot one before.

imported_1911_sfca
03-10-2005, 3:34 PM
Good job. Berkeley could use a militia.

I try to do the same with my friends, but usually only 1-2 at a time -- that number would be a little unwieldy for me.

icormba
03-10-2005, 8:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by San Francisco, 1911:
Good job. Berkeley could use a militia.

I try to do the same with my friends, but usually only 1-2 at a time -- that number would be a little unwieldy for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm the same, for every 2 I bring... I try to bring along a "helper" to help me "baby-sit" http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

These are also the times I bring my AR15 out the most. Each and every new shooter I've taken out has always said that the AR was their favorite. The plus about this is I get to say... "this is the gun the anti-gun Democrats won't let us have here in California when at least 45 other states say it's perfectly legal."

It's my way of telling them that there really is a "sporting use" in this so called "Assault Weapon". it's called FUN.

imported_1911_sfca
03-11-2005, 3:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fastmanusa:
Great job. Way to spread the sport. I have found most people that don't like guns have never shot one before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How true. I have found that all people that don't like guns have never shot one before.

atek3
03-11-2005, 5:55 PM
i've met vets that hate guns now.

atek3

03-11-2005, 9:11 PM

For me, a lot of them too.
I'd go so far as to say a disproportionate amount dislike them, than what I actually expect (which is the complete opposite). This based only on my personal experiences.
One example, an old girlfriend's dad gave me a respectable lecture (albeit, an anti-gun rant by any other name) about his disdain for firearms upon learning that his prized, jewel of a daughter was seeing a whacko-"gun nut" psychopath. He was a Vietnam vet, saw combat and apparently killed enough people to be able to form this opinion without reservations. Out of respect, I didn't argue his point of view, but made it clear that there was a difference between using firearms peaceably and for the purpose of war. This was about the same time the Rhino "cop killer" bullet thing was buzzing around the news and IIRC, this is what got us talking about guns in the first place. Until that point, I'd had no idea that he was ever in the military, let alone a combat vet. He was a pretty unassuming individual in almost every detail.
I can't honestly say that I hold ill feelings for veterans that dislike firearms, but when it crosses the line from simply dislike to that of a desire to politically disarm me (us), then I take serious issue with it as I would with anyone else.

icormba
03-11-2005, 11:11 PM

me too!
But some of the ones I have known say it's not necessarily the gun... but the memories they bring back. I can respect that.

imported_booknut
03-13-2005, 11:56 AM
I have to add my appreciation and thanks for your efforts!
Great job!
I don't care if they meet someone's definition of hippie, yuppie, whatever!

Now the bad news...you'll have to be turned over the the Department of Homeland Security, or at the VERY LEAST, Diane Feinstein herself, since you are creating some kind of militia... in BERKLEY no less!

Don't you know about the efforts to make California safer?
Don't you know that the 'Bay Area' doesn't want/need more people who see guns for what they really are?
Don't you know...awww never mind...OBVIOUSLY you think for yourself! Which makes you highly suspect and potentially dangerous!http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif