PDA

View Full Version : How many denials do you actually see in a month?

CnCFunFactory
07-11-2009, 4:22 AM
I am just curious since there is always a hoopla at the state and federal level that the background checks prevent dangerous people from gaining access to a firearm. What is the actual number you folks see in a given month on average. What percentage of your total sales does that represent? My logic has always been that someone in the position of being denied most likely would know it and wouldn't expose themselves to a "check" in the first darn place. Thanks to all FFL's who respond.

tenpercentfirearms
07-11-2009, 5:06 AM
I haven't had one since 4/30/09.

halifax
07-11-2009, 5:12 AM
One out of 460 since 12/05. Unpaid traffic fine = very dangerous person

CnCFunFactory
07-11-2009, 5:30 AM
One out of 460 since 12/05. Unpaid traffic fine = very dangerous person

I hate to think it but you are probably not kidding are you. I didn't even know that would affect your ability to purchase a firearm. Crazy! Thanks for the info.

halifax
07-11-2009, 5:34 AM
I hate to think it but you are probably not kidding are you. I didn't even know that would affect your ability to purchase a firearm. Crazy! Thanks for the info.

Apparently, it works like this:

Unpaid traffic ticket -> Bench Warrant -> Fugitive from Justice -> Denial

OCArmory
07-11-2009, 9:01 AM
Two denials in 6 months. Aside from 30 day violations for handguns. Both were drivers license issues.

kemasa
07-11-2009, 9:36 AM
Years ago, I heard that Janet Reno refused to go after those who tried to purchase a firearm when they were not allowed to buy one. Even though they made it a crime, she decided that it was not worth it just for a year in jail.

nick
07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

They now use NICS to enforce all sorts of fines, which is why it's become much less adequate for background checks on gun purchases. They now use it to enforce traffic fines, child and spousal support payments, things like that.

Shane916
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Almost all denials I saw ended up being related one way or another to DMV.

Fjold
07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
My neighbor got denied for back child support, apparently he had a warrant out for him on that.

FortCourageArmory
07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I average about 100 DROS's a month. Remember, there are four basic types of "denial" notices I can receive.

- 30-Day Violation....tried to buy a handgun too soon
- Delay Delivery....just like it says, Delayed. Probably checking something to make sure buyer is OK to have guns
- DMV Reject....Driver's License not valid for whatever reason
- Prohibited Person....the literal death sentence to firearms ownership. Buyer is in deep ca-ca.....

Last month, I got 0 30-Day Violations, 3 Delay Deliveries, 0 DMV Rejects, and 2 Prohibited Persons.

The Delays worked themselves out as I got clearences within a few days to deliver all three. Of the two Prohibited Persons, one was related to a citizenship issue and the other was a mental hospital stay issue that will require a lawyer to clear up.

cousinkix1953
07-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Years ago, I heard that Janet Reno refused to go after those who tried to purchase a firearm when they were not allowed to buy one. Even though they made it a crime, she decided that it was not worth it just for a year in jail.
Thirteen people were arrested during the first year of the FBI background checks under the Brady bill. One of them was my brother. He got arrested at the Richmond Va gun show; because somebody entered the wrong SS number, birthdate etc into the computer.

The feds accused him of robbing banks, dealing drugs and stealing a car in San Jose. He was in the USN and not even in the country; when those crimes were committed by another person with a similiar name. It took four years to straighten this frigging mess out.

We still don't know if this matter was really taken care of; because he never tried to purchase another gun and has since died...

cousinkix1953
07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
They now use NICS to enforce all sorts of fines, which is why it's become much less adequate for background checks on gun purchases. They now use it to enforce traffic fines, child and spousal support payments, things like that.
Hey didn't the PRK drop out of that NICS background check system for gun purchases. They said that they can do a better job than the FBI any way. The Brady law required background checks, but didn't require a state to be part of the FBI NICS.

Of course they use it for other things every day...