View Full Version : card reader

07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I am a new 01, home based FFL doing mainly gunsmithing. I have all the required certs., licenses and permits all other 01 ffl`s have. My question is related to doing DROS transfers and the reader used for scanning drivers licenses. What reader is being used for this( I am not doing credit card`s, only DL`s for DROS) and where do you get it? If I am wrong about this being required please advise. thnx

07-10-2009, 11:03 PM
If you make a photocopy of the license, you are not required to scan it. You keep the photocopy with the DROS printout. Meets spec, IIRC.

07-11-2009, 2:41 AM
As far as scanning goes it just makes running the dros quicker. The way we do it is Photo copy of the DL (For hand gun purchase we do DL and HSC on the same one) then swipe the dl then fill in the remaining fields. when swiping the dl I can do a long gun dros in about a min.

07-11-2009, 3:11 AM
From the DROS Entry System FAQ page:

Question: If I am unable to use my DOJ-issued or privately-owned PC at a gun show can I initiate a DROS at the show without swiping the purchaser's DMV-issued driver's license or identification card?
Answer: Yes, you may initiate a DROS at a gun show using a paper DROS worksheet. Upon return to your business location, you may manually input the information into your DOJ-issued or privately-owned PC. Please remember, the 10-day waiting period does not begin until you submit the DROS to the DOJ using your DOJ-issued or privately-owned PC and receive a DROS number. Additionally, prior to the delivery of the firearm, you must swipe the purchaser's DMV-issued driver's license/identification card through the DOJ-issued magnetic card swipe reader. Then, print out and attach the information to the copy of the DROS that is retained for your dealership records. Following this process complies with the requirement as long as the information on the purchaser's DMV printout matches the same information recorded on the DROS. Detailed instructions for this process follows:
Choose Programs > Accessories > Wordpad from the Start menu, which is located in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
Swipe the purchaser's DMV card through the reader. The information automatically transfers to the WordPad screen.
To print the information, choose File > Print from the WordPad main menu and then click the Ok button.

Question: If the reader malfunctions or the stripe on the back of the card is defective, how can I comply with the requirement to capture the purchaser's DMV information using a magnetic card swipe reader?
Answer: If your DOJ-issued magnetic card swipe reader malfunctions or the purchaser's DMV card's magnetic stripe is defective, you may manually enter the information. In addition, you must retain a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card along with the original DROS.
Question: Why do I have to swipe the card prior to delivery of a firearm sold at a gun show instead of making a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card?
Answer: Penal Code section 12077(f)(2) specifically authorizes dealers to obtain a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card in the event the card cannot be swiped through the reader due to technical limitations. However, there exists no statutory/legal exemption from this requirement for transactions that occur at gun shows.
Question: How do I get a user ID and password so I can begin using my PC to submit DROS applications to the DOJ?
Answer: To request a user ID and password, you must contact the DROS Service Center at 1-800-974-DROS (3767) and select option number three for technical support. You will receive a user ID and password immediately. However, it will not be activated and ready to use for at least 24 hours.
Question: How can I get additional magnetic card swipe readers to use with the other PCs I have in my dealership/home?
Answer: You may obtain additional MagTek brand Magnetic Card Swipe readers [part number 21080201 (wedge) or 20140107 (USB)] by calling the manufacturer directly at 1-310-667-6410 or toll free at 1-800-421-5208 and ask to speak with Doug Free. You must inform the manufacturer that you intend to use the device with the California DOJ DROS Entry System. MagTek Magnetic Card Swipe readers are also available from retail outlets. To contact a retail dealer call Gemini Computers at 1-888-943-6464 and ask to speak with Uri Rozic. You must inform the dealer that you intend to use the device with the California DOJ DROS Entry System and need to purchase one of the MagTek Magnetic Card Swipe readers as noted above. Please note that Verizon Business is not liable for any issues related to the purchase of and/or operation of Magnetic Card Swipe readers.

Note that the DOJ no longer supplies any hardware. It's up to you to acquire your own.

12077(f) Effective January 1, 2003, the purchaser's
name, date of birth, and driver's license or identification
number shall be obtained electronically
from the magnetic strip on the purchaser's driver's
license or identification and shall not be supplied
by any other means except as authorized
by the department. This requirement shall not
apply in either of the following cases:
(1) The purchaser's identification consists of a
military identification card.
(2) Due to technical limitations, the magnetic
stripe reader is unable to obtain the required information
from the purchaser's identification. In
those circumstances, the firearms dealer shall
obtain a photocopy of the identification as proof
of compliance.
(3) In the event that the dealer has reported to
the department that the dealer's equipment has
failed, information pursuant to this subdivision
shall be obtained by an alternative method to be
determined by the department.

07-11-2009, 8:38 AM
You are required to at least attempt to swipe their id. You can find the info here.