PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Black Rifle Disease...

LesGrossman41510
07-10-2009, 4:32 PM
1)Constantly logging onto Calguns and M4carbine to check for new pictures of ARs.

2) Having to wait so long for the black rifle to arrive that you spend every waking second planning your modifications.

3) You have seen almost every video on youtube that relates to AR15s.

3) Daydreaming of Magpul "art of carbine" and CTR stocks and Daniel Defense rails.

4) Gunbroker every few hours looking for new stuff.

5) Owning (or having plans to own) more than just a couple ARs.

What else do you guys think??

hellraiser
07-10-2009, 4:35 PM
5 is the worst and most costly part of the disease.... once that hits theres no cure...

God Bless The Mauser
07-10-2009, 4:36 PM
I just wish I had Green Paper Diease so I could cure my Black Rifle Disease.

LesGrossman41510
07-10-2009, 4:37 PM
Does anyone here own a lower reciever from every available OL manufactor?

OutbreakPLZ
07-10-2009, 4:42 PM
oh wow i am sick....

FullMetalJacket
07-10-2009, 4:45 PM
I think I've got all the symptoms...

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 4:53 PM

6) Read ARfcom's "What Parts Break in a Carbine Course?" thread and have nightmares seeing every component of your fave AR crack into pieces.

:eek:

Maltese Falcon
07-10-2009, 4:57 PM
.... I didn't know what an OLL or a BB was in February of this year. Now I have FOUR OLLs , three in various stages of build and one spare.

I think I am terminal....and broke.

IMC87
07-10-2009, 4:59 PM
WHAT!!! THERE'S ANOTHER WEBSITE BESIDES THIS ONE TO LOOK FOR MORE!!!

NO ONE TOLD ME OF M4carbine!!!!

No really, i didnt know, ima check it out now :D

reidnez
07-10-2009, 5:09 PM
7) Compulsively field-stripping and cleaning rifles during your "leisure time", even though you know you've already cleaned them three times since you last went to the range. Undeniable evidence of this symptom: your girlfriend asks you what happened to that 2000-pack of Q-Tips she bought last week.

This might mostly apply to us vets & servicemen, but I've seen some civvies who were pretty anal, too.

Sig357
07-10-2009, 5:18 PM
8) Depleted bank account, and maxed out credit cards.

reidnez
07-10-2009, 5:21 PM
8) Depleted bank account, and maxed out credit cards.

That should be #1! I knew I was in trouble when I took a cash advance on my credit card, to convert to a money order, to buy an upper. I'd never done that before. Even though I paid it back a week later, it still felt grossly irresponsible. But hey, I *needed* that upper!

LesGrossman41510
07-10-2009, 5:29 PM
wow some of you guys are showing symptoms of what a drug addict would do to have his fix LOL. i have already blown out my bank for 2000 dollars to satisfy my first black rifle fix. some of you guys are probably in the 10-20 grand range.

Maltese Falcon
07-10-2009, 5:34 PM
wow some of you guys are showing symptoms of what a drug addict would do to have his fix LOL. i have already blown out my bank for 2000 dollars to satisfy my first black rifle fix. some of you guys are probably in the 10-20 grand range.

...and that's not even counting the 5K+ rounds of ammo....

GunOwner
07-10-2009, 6:25 PM
...and that's not even counting the 5K+ rounds of ammo....

LOTS OF AMMO - Without the ammo your sweet AR is just an expensive club. Get it while you still can (before the idiots in Sacramento pass that ridiculous no mail order - register bullets law).

1moa@500
07-10-2009, 8:54 PM
i also suffer from I cant keep up with the black rifle diet..... 100 phone calls to dealers here and abroad to fill primer, bullet, and powder needs. The major side effect is angry wife syndrome.:43:

GoingPro
07-10-2009, 10:58 PM
how about losing sleep because when you close your eyes all you can think about are the new parts/firearm your about to purchase.

LesGrossman41510
07-10-2009, 11:14 PM
^i think it helps me go to sleep, i count the Magpul parts flying over my head like sheep.

Ducman
07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
10.) When you realized that Crack is Cheaper :eek:

ro442173
07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
First time hearing about M4Carbine... I'll try staying away though.

*Walking around the house practicing HD drills.
*Opening the safe daily (if not a couple of times) just to see them.
*Watching TV with the wife and kid on each side, dog on the floor, and AR on the lap.
*When spending money on other stuff you say "damn, I could spend that on ammo."
*You get most of your daily news from Calguns.

ro442173
07-10-2009, 11:24 PM
*Not a day goes by that you don't log into calguns.
*Spending 8 hours on calguns... I did this once while at work.

domokun
07-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm slowly recovering from BRD and will probably catch 1911 disease at some point later in life... :eek:

ro442173
07-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm slowly recovering from BRD and will probably catch 1911 disease at some point later in life... :eek:

Recovering? That's impossible.

aplinker
07-11-2009, 12:05 AM
m4c is a great resource, but it's not a "heavy posting" sight. That's one reason I like it a lot.

10-8 and lightfighter are also excellent.

First time hearing about M4Carbine... I'll try staying away though.

*Watching TV with the wife and kid on each side, dog on the floor, and AR on the lap.

luchador768
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Almost 10k just this year! Argh!:eek:

a1fabweld
07-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I am in the recovery stages of the disease. I recently joined B.R.A. (Black Rifles Anonymous) & I have a sponsor (wife) who helps me stay on the right path of recovery. I still wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night & crave online shopping for gun parts. I am proud to announce that I have not spent a dollar on gun parts/ammo in 7 days. :p

GoingPro
07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
I am in the recovery stages of the disease. I recently joined B.R.A. (Black Rifles Anonymous) & I have a sponsor (wife) who helps me stay on the right path of recovery. I still wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night & crave online shopping for gun parts. I am proud to announce that I have not spent a dollar on gun parts/ammo in 7 days. :p

im just about to spend some money on monday...i dont think there has been a week that i havent spent any money the past year! Were proud of you bro, how much longer do you think you can last?

aplinker
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM

I see you're "a friend of Bill (Wiese)" too :D

I went cold turkey (no CG or buying) for 4 months at one point.

There's no cure, just living without indulging the urges.

I'm out of the program now, though. Been a moderate summer, so far.

GoingPro
07-11-2009, 12:39 AM
yes i also forgot to add that i enjoy the sport of bodybuilding....and bodybuilding is not cheap when it comes to supplements and alot of healthy food....as soon as i purchased my first black rifle when i found out they were legal in CA, my diet went to hell.....i thought bodybuilding was expensive? man, this BRD ate my pockets dry, there was a point where i was eating top ramen and junk food from the .99 cent menus at fast food places or frozen microwavable food. i gained some bad weight but i still lift weights. . . . its well worth it though!!!

God Bless The Mauser
07-11-2009, 12:43 AM

Lol, that's me :D

dchang0
07-11-2009, 1:54 AM
Yeesh, thank God I'm cured of BRD. Only two ARs and there never will be more (even if a ban occurs at some point in the future)--just swap uppers and stocks as needed.

a1fabweld
07-11-2009, 1:56 AM
im just about to spend some money on monday...i dont think there has been a week that i havent spent any money the past year! Were proud of you bro, how much longer do you think you can last?

I don't know, my check card is quivering in my wallet for some action! I pretty much have all the guns I want. I thought about getting another SA Mil-Spec 1911 for myself to match my wife's, but I don't have to have it. I do need to outfit about 3 more AR's with Aimpoints & mounts. That will be the next chunk of cash that goes out. Oh, and spade grips for the 1919A4! I went straight from hotrods/drag racing to guns. I'm a broke mofo! Anyone want to buy a 10 second, pump gas, street legal 68 Camaro? It'll make the Prius guys crap themselves as you blow by them & leave them in a haze of fumes! GO GREEN!!!:p

Federalist
07-11-2009, 2:30 PM
* When you searched on Google for weeks to figure out (to the exact minute), the date and time when Magpul Dynamics finally was releasing "The Art of the Tactical Carbine II" - just so you could be certain to get your copy shipped to you on that day.
* When you cannot imagine why others at your work and in your neighborhood don't care why your new upper "needs" Mil-spec feed ramps.
* When you have backordered your new BCG from LMT or BCM, and you check for tracking information every 10 minutes even through you know that it won't be in stock for weeks.
* When you read the posts on Calguns and say to yourself "Thank God, these guys really understand" because nobody else (other than your dog) does understand.

bomb_on_bus
07-11-2009, 3:09 PM
:iagree:

yellowfin
07-11-2009, 4:00 PM
* If you've ever searched through your suitcase or other bag and caught yourself saying "Twinkie, Twinkie, cupcake..."

ro442173
07-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Lol, that's me :D

I didn't want to say posing in front of the mirror with a tac vest, bayonet on the AR, pistol, and zip-ties for fear of embarrasment but what hey... you do this too?

ro442173
07-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeesh, thank God I'm cured of BRD. Only two ARs and there never will be more (even if a ban occurs at some point in the future)--just swap uppers and stocks as needed.

You're on denial bro... just give it some time... there's no escaping the urge!

Federalist
07-11-2009, 11:50 PM
* When you finally convince yourself that you don't have BRD, but you log into Calguns that night just before you go to bed (after you have logged on five times earlier in the day).

God Bless The Mauser
07-12-2009, 1:07 AM
I didn't want to say posing in front of the mirror with a tac vest, bayonet on the AR, pistol, and zip-ties for fear of embarrasment but what hey... you do this too?

Can't do all of that until I get a carbine upper that has a bayonet lug,lol.

norcal77
07-12-2009, 3:04 AM
I just wish I had Green Paper Diease so I could cure my Black Rifle Disease.

:rofl2:

smogcity
07-12-2009, 8:40 AM
I found the cure...

I kept building ar's untill i literally can not fit another one in the safe.

Then the great depression of '09 hit so buying a second safe (and filling it) is not an option.

Forced me to quit cold turkey

Flying Bones
07-12-2009, 9:08 AM
I found the cure...

I kept building ar's untill i literally can not fit another one in the safe.

Then the great depression of '09 hit so buying a second safe (and filling it) is not an option.

Forced me to quit cold turkey

That's not a cure...that's a temporary fix to a lifelong problem.

I love the disease

sholling
07-12-2009, 9:29 AM
WHAT!!! THERE'S ANOTHER WEBSITE BESIDES THIS ONE TO LOOK FOR MORE!!!

NO ONE TOLD ME OF M4carbine!!!!

No really, i didnt know, ima check it out now :D
You have been to 68forums.com right? :p

GoingPro
07-12-2009, 10:46 AM
face the truth fellas. were all compulsive buyers

10ring45
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I have 5 OLLS, two are built and the other three are in different stages of building.

nicoroshi
07-12-2009, 1:18 PM
I had the AR variant of BRD, and it mutated into AK building fever.
Now instead of combing the websites for parts to upgrade/ change the configuration of my ARs I search for good matching number kits to rebuild.
The compulsive ammo buying is still there though.
(Sigh) I am hopeless.

Federalist
07-12-2009, 2:23 PM
Does anyeone here think it is compulsive that, when I return from the range, I immediately feel the need to get online and order enough ammo to restock what I shot just one hour earlier? (Actually that much, and almost always more.) :confused:

Flying Bones
07-12-2009, 3:20 PM
Does anyeone here think it is compulsive that, when I return from the range, I immediately feel the need to get online and order enough ammo to restock what I shot just one hour earlier? (Actually that much, and almost always more.) :confused:

YES. Every time. I took a kid out yesterday, 9 years old. He shot up so much $$$. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was neat watching him work the 12ga., .45 and of course the AR's.

a1fabweld
07-12-2009, 3:28 PM
Does anyone here think it is compulsive that, when I return from the range, I immediately feel the need to get online and order enough ammo to restock what I shot just one hour earlier? (Actually that much, and almost always more.) :confused:

I have to one up you. I restock what I'm about to shoot before I shoot it. Taking it to another level, my goal is to have 1k rounds for every firearm I own. I'm almost there.

DRM6000
07-12-2009, 3:41 PM
- not being content with just looking at them and taking them to the range, you make several trips a year to training classes...spending even more money

- buying gear, more gear and even more gear for the ebr's and classes

- realizing this is like barbie for men with all the accessorizing that goes on

- setting up dealer accounts all over the place to buy at a discount to help alleviate the symptoms of brd, but realize that you end up spending even more

- always have project guns

Flying Bones
07-12-2009, 3:44 PM
I have to one up you. I restock what I'm about to shoot before I shoot it. Taking it to another level, my goal is to have 1k rounds for every firearm I own. I'm almost there.

My goal is 10k...I'm there with one caliber.

ro442173
07-18-2009, 6:31 PM
Looking for ways to occupy your time so that you can stay out of calguns and other such sites that cause you to spend money.

NSR500
07-18-2009, 7:10 PM
Just wait because it does not stop at rifles. Eventually you'll get BPD... Black Pistol Disease.
HK, Colt, Sig, CZ, FN, Glock, etc...

WHenderson
07-18-2009, 7:49 PM
Black rifle disease, commonly known as BRD, has no known cure but it is manageable. It's causes are not greatly understood, it's believed the disease is contracted upon the first touch of an AR15 or OLL. Symptoms appear immediately upon touching it, including the desire to shoulder the rifle, and look through the sights. This is usually followed by the person saying "How much is this?" or "can I buy this one?" and "I want one". Once infection takes place, there is known no way to resist buying a black rifle. As the disease progresses, the person has irresistible urges to upgrade, modify and add to their collection. The upgrading and modifying appears someway to be connected to the persons wallet, and resources, as those with more disposable cash, seem to suffer from more severe urges. Several medical studies have been published in medical journals addressing further symptoms, treatment, and management. Including the 1974 Harvard University study, The 1986 AMA study publishied in the American journal of medicine, and the 2002 BRD study at the Institution of clinical trials. Good luck, and I hope you find some relief.

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 8:02 PM
RBRD but without the desire to use NDS lowers (must be Gator) :chris:

MAILMAN187
07-18-2009, 8:18 PM
When your old lady opens the closet and gets crushed by a pile of AR's, unbuilt oll's, parts and ammo( the stuff that won't fit in the safes ). That's when you know.....

When your wearing holy underwear and are out of socks, but you spend the money on the last 150 rounds of .223 at wall mart instead. ( cause hey, they are usually out! ) that's when you know....

Gp100
07-18-2009, 9:23 PM
*when You have earmarked every other pay check for 3 months out towards: .ammo,
.eotech,
.ar15 build
.ak47
.magazines
.lights
.lasers
.vest
.rail covers
.collapsible stock
.6.8 upper
.6.8 magazines

SuperTwinz
07-19-2009, 12:19 AM
The biggest problem with BRD is there is no cure. From new products to everything being on back order. :80:

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-19-2009, 8:03 AM
ah man guys now with all this talk i really dont want to go buy a lower today....

naw J/K.

Federalist
07-19-2009, 9:06 AM
ah man guys now with all this talk i really dont want to go buy a lower today....

With BRD, its not a "want", its a "need".