PDA

View Full Version : Precision Arms in Escondido, CA

BlackReef
07-10-2009, 1:47 PM
Jerry S. @ Precision Arms is a TOOL. It's a shame that he is only 5 min. from my house, but I still drive 2+ Hours to Bright Spot Pawn

PolishMike
07-10-2009, 1:53 PM
Lol I wont go there ever since doing that ppt with your brother there.

Mike

ocabj
07-10-2009, 1:55 PM
Back story?

Brutish
07-10-2009, 1:58 PM
I have had good experiences there. My experiences consist of

a) shopping around and looking at the pretty rifles
b) buying accessories, (bore guides, brushes, rods)
c) bought a Pelican 1750 case and they cut the foam (very well I might add) for free in the outline of my TRG-22
d) bought a Sako factory 3 ring scope mount for my TRG (paid full MSRP, oh well).

I have never done a transfer there.

technique
07-10-2009, 2:14 PM
Care to elaborate?

BlackReef
07-10-2009, 2:40 PM
Care to elaborate?

Well, here is my first ever experience at Precision Arms, way back in May of 2007:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=58811&highlight=precision

It's still the same owner that runs the shop.

I've tried to steer away from this place like the plague, as every time I've been there since, I have to hear an opinionated, one-sided lecture about AR-15's (but he will still take your transfer/DROS $$)

Fast-forward to yesterday.

So my buddy wants to buy his first shotgun. We find a nice Mossberg 500 Online in his price range. He had never purchased any type of firearm before in California.

I told him the locations we could the transfer at in our area: Turner's in San Marcos, or Precision Arms in Escondido (won't go to Duncan's anymore either). I told him if those places don't work out, we should go to Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside. I told him it's well worth the drive.

Anyways, we go to Turner's first. The guy says he won't take a transfer of a Shotgun, since we 'can purchase the shotgun in their own store' (for a $150 more I might add).

I wasn't going to argue with the dumbass at Turner's, so we jumped in my truck and went over to Precision Arms.

I had warned my buddy a few times before that I can't stand the guy that works there, but he was excited about the Shotgun, so we went anyway.

So we walk in, and he is helping another customer. No Big deal. He asks what we needed, and I told him 'transfer'. We wait 5-10 minutes or so while they BS. We just admire the beautiful toys on the wall while we wait.

So eventually he finishes up and asks us both for our Driver's Licenses or ID's to start the 'private party transfer', and immediately asks us what kind of rifle we are transferring. I simply stopped him and said we want to a Transfer from an Online Vendor, not a Private Party transfer (he assumed) No big deal, easy mistake.

So he starts telling us about all the 'AR-15' vendors he has on file, and he wanted to know the name of the shop we were purchasing from. I told him the name of the shop, and he says "Well I have never heard of such a place". Ok. He then begins to tell us about the legalities of the AR Lower, etc. I quickly stopped him again and told him it was simply a pump Shotgun we want to order.

The next thing he told me pissed me off. He said he wasn't "taking transfer of any long arms right now, because he simply doesn't have room to store them for the customers"

He then asked us what model of shotgun we wanted to order. We told him Mossberg Cruiser. He then said he has the exact same model on his shelf. I thought to myself, what? I just looked at all the shotguns, and nothing even looks like a cruiser.

He points to a Mossberg 500 Shotgun with a full stock. He says all we have to do is purchase the Shotgun, and the Pistol Grip kit, and he will install it. He said its the exact same thing, etc.

I went on to explain that the Cruiser kit we want comes with a Waterproof carry case, survival kit, etc. He then started telling me that we can build the exact same case with PVC pipe and glue. At this point, he is starting to annoy us, talking to us like we don't know what we're talking about.

The next thing he does is try to sell us the full-stock overpriced Remington 870 Express with 18" barrel (upwards of $500). We claim we came here to do a transfer of a Shotgun that we have already decided on. He then goes on to ask my buddy why he wants the Cruiser kit. My buddy explained it's lightweight and a relatively compact shotgun.

The store owner continues to blister us with questions, like "Well, what do you want to use it for?" Stuff that he has no business asking.

The real reason my buddy wants it is so he can carry it in his truck, under the seat, unloaded. He knew better than to say such a thing to this store owner, so he simply told him "so I can keep it in tight places, unloaded". The store owner almost freaks out on us and tells us of all the "hot water" we can get in if we don't know what we're doing. He went off a bit on us 'purchasing the right shotgun for our needs', and went back to sweating us to purchase his overpriced Mossberg 500 pump. At this point, even my buddy is pissed and we said "Thank You for the help" and walked out.

Now my friend is a bit discouraged about the deal, says he wants to 'wait' on purchasing the Shotgun. Another potential gun owner turned away, atleast for now.

ajaffe
07-10-2009, 2:42 PM
Jerry S. @ Precision Arms is a TOOL. It's a shame that he is only 5 min. from my house, but I still drive 2+ Hours to Bright Spot Pawn

Go 6 minutes to Paul Johnson Company. He is a small FFL that handles OLL transfers as well as carries a small stock of guns and ammunition. He charges I believe 35 for handguns and 30 for long gun transfers. His office is located just off of Nordahl past the railroad tracks.

Brutish
07-10-2009, 3:09 PM
What a waste of time and effort to buy a ~$200.00 gun online and pay for shipping and transfer fees. You aren't saving much money at all AND you are going through the headache of contacting the receiving FFL, having him send the sending FFL his license, making sure the shotgun arrives, hoping that it arrives in the condition that was described and not damaged during shipping, paying the transfer fee, etc. Look how much time and money you wasted (gas) driving around finding an FFL to receive.

For new guns under about $500.00, the savings you will have from buying online versus buying local is negligible (or zero) and IMO, not worth the headache associated with online purchase. Go to Big 5 and get their combo special on sale for $220.00.

Anyway, why did you think Turners would do the transfer??? They do not do dealer transfers like you were looking for. Many retail stores don't or they charge a lot of money because you are buying something they could just sell to you. You need to find a "kitchen table" FFL.

ETA: Did you price that same gun (the Mossberg Cruiser) at the local shops in your area? Are they all 100.00 or more dollars over the online price? $100.00 is about the cost of shipping and transfer fee give or take 20 bucks.

Sniper3142
07-10-2009, 3:21 PM
Well I've shopped at Precision Arms every now and then for almost 20 years.

Yes, Jerry can "go on" about stuff if you give him even the slightest opening.

But for precision bolt action rifles, he's pretty damn good. Over the years I've purchased 2 bolt action rifles, an AR15 and an M1A (both pre-2000 ban) and a handgun or two from them.

I've never had a bad experience there. Of course, when I started going there, I was in the Corps and he came recommended by some of the Scout Sniper folks I knew.

Like any other businessman, Jerry tries to sell what he's got whenever possible. That might piss off others just doing a transfer but well...

You can and should always let your money do the talking. If you don't like the service, shop elesewhere.

ajaffe
07-10-2009, 3:23 PM
He does not want a combo special, he wants the Cruiser SHTF special. Just because you think it will not be worth the hassle does not mean he thinks it will not.
I recently purchased a Spike's Pirate lower and did the transfer through Paul Johnson in Escondido, I went there twice and was in and out in less than 30 minutes both times.
Sure it cost more than a lower found on the shelves in stores here in San Diego, but it was also something that no stores carried and was worth the hassle and extra money to me.
It is not all about saving money here, it is about getting what you want so you don't end up with buyer's remorse.

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 3:40 PM
...or Precision Arms in Escondido (won't go to Duncan's anymore either).

Yep. Precision and Duncan's are out with me, too. Since Dwayne left Duncan's the place has gone to the dogs. Both places are run by idiots. They don't know Cal laws and act like scared little school girls regarding ARs. Long wait times at both places (i.e. customer service sucks).

I like working with Tom of TSM Consulting Extreme Firearms out of Oceanside. Nice guy. Good customer service. Cheap fees.

BlackReef
07-10-2009, 4:00 PM
Well I've shopped at Precision Arms every now and then for almost 20 years.

Yes, Jerry can "go on" about stuff if you give him even the slightest opening.

But for precision bolt action rifles, he's pretty damn good. Over the years I've purchased 2 bolt action rifles, an AR15 and an M1A (both pre-2000 ban) and a handgun or two from them.

I've never had a bad experience there. Of course, when I started going there, I was in the Corps and he came recommended by some of the Scout Sniper folks I knew.

Like any other businessman, Jerry tries to sell what he's got whenever possible. That might piss off others just doing a transfer but well...

You can and should always let your money do the talking. If you don't like the service, shop elesewhere.

wow. You missed the whole point.

Thank you for you service, BTW :)

BlackReef
07-10-2009, 4:01 PM
ETA: Did you price that same gun (the Mossberg Cruiser) at the local shops in your area? Are they all 100.00 or more dollars over the online price? $100.00 is about the cost of shipping and transfer fee give or take 20 bucks.

I can't find anybody locally that carries the Cruiser SHTF combo. Only found 1 place online that has them in stock

cgseanp1
07-10-2009, 5:18 PM
Have you ever used Gusslers in Santee? Definitely a lot closer than Bright Spot(I know they are good guys), but Gusslers is pretty good too. Just a guy working out of his garage and his fees are not bad.

Ian
07-10-2009, 6:19 PM
im not sure if it was on this forum, but I ranted about Precision Arms in Escondido. I originally went there because it is really close to where I work (Vista, CA) and to ask the guy about accepting a FFL transfer for an OLL.

As soon as I said AR OLL, he went off on how kids these days dont know jack about guns, and that building one is pointless unless I want to topload. Mind you, I researched tons about the legality of building one on this site prior to visiting his store. I explained a BB type device and he said it was BS because once the mag is out, it's "detachable" and I'm just wasting my money to get it confiscated. He said I was better off buying one of his custom gunsmithed bolt-actioned .308's because real guns are about long range precision. I asked him, despite the "crappiness" of owning an AR type rifle, what the fee would be. He told me 110 bucks and it includes the DROS fee and whatnot but he said he didn't feel like accepting a transfer from a vendor anyways...

So I just left it that and walked out.

pdr1269
07-10-2009, 6:32 PM
Give Gussler's a try. Don's a good guy to work with and very knowledgable about the AR's and OLL stuff. I've used him for all of my transfers.

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 7:00 PM
Have you ever used Gusslers in Santee? Definitely a lot closer than Bright Spot(I know they are good guys), but Gusslers is pretty good too. Just a guy working out of his garage and his fees are not bad.

I really like the idea of working with a "guy working out of his garage", however, Mr. Gussler informed me he would not receive a LMT rifle from out of state because it was an assault weapon. So, I had to use Extreme Firearms to facilitate the transfer. He also is working out of his garage.

To be honest, after all I'd heard of Gussler, I was rather disapointed. Not to say I won't ask him to do business in the future, I just think Extreme is better at this juncture.

djm315
07-10-2009, 7:16 PM
Man, from what I have seen on here most dealers in socal are a**holes, dumba**es or just dont give a crap, that said if i am looking a something online and my dealer is out of stock or not carrying he will order it for me at no extra, just have to ask , no transfer fees or any other bs .

ajaffe
07-10-2009, 7:28 PM
I really like the idea of working with a "guy working out of his garage", however, Mr. Gussler informed me he would not receive a LMT rifle from out of state because it was an assault weapon. So, I had to use Extreme Firearms to facilitate the transfer. He also is working out of his garage.

To be honest, after all I'd heard of Gussler, I was rather disapointed. Not to say I won't ask him to do business in the future, I just think Extreme is better at this juncture.

Did it have a bullet button pre-installed?
Next time, you should try Paul Johnson out as well. He is a no nonsense FFL that operates out of the office of his dayjob and has really great transfer prices.

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 7:40 PM

Yes, that was arranged.

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 7:43 PM

To split hairs a little here, is it the case that a Cal FFL with a specific type of license can receive one WITHOUT a bullet button and install one and then transfer it on to the customer?

Timmay
07-10-2009, 8:06 PM
I went to Precision Arms and he told me he would NOT do AR transfers, he "doesn't mess with that stuff" he would ONLY do OLL stripped transfers. He told me an AR is a waste of time, and I should purchase some bolt action that accepted AR mags. So obviously I politely said no thank you. He babbled on and mention something about top loading and I just said thanks for your time and left.

As for Duncan, I told an employee about what a OLL was and he had no clue what I was talking about. He told me I would get in big trouble and go to jail. (they had a top loader and told me that was the only way to be legal) So needless to say, I take my business elsewhere.

L8Apex619
07-10-2009, 9:35 PM
Someone needs to seriously educate these dealers. It doesn't help matters that the BATF are reinforcing this FUD by directly informing some dealers as such - I know for a fact that at least one small FFL in/around town that has been explicitly informed by their federal BATF agent/rep that, contrary to the letter and established interpretation of the state law, selling OLLs is "illegal."

In all fairness, they're most likely taking the "better safe than sorry" route, and if it was your (or my) business at risk, you, me, and anyone in between might be a little on the cautious side ourselves.

But for &#$@'s sake, and I'm speaking to you Duncan's, Precision, et al, please take a nice Sunday drive down to SCG, and try to resolve the cognitive dissonance that will invariably ensue once you see the tasty selection of EBRs they have and routinely sell.

Given the unprecedented boom cycle (no pun intended) the industry has experienced, these dealers should ALL be working to help secure and protect their customers' 2A rights...

Maybe a regional pool of $ to secure legal representation/protection? Can you imagine a class action suit involving a dozen-or-more FFLs?

Kaiser Defense
07-11-2009, 6:54 AM
If you would like to avoid all these OLL transfer BS problems, come down to Kaiser and buy all you want. No pressure, no hassle, no transfer fees. You can do all the paperwork, and support a local company!! See how your lower is made, check out the cool machines, and take a peek at some upcoming projects. We have KD lowers in stock, not to mention the Calguns.net lowers everyone is talking about. All I ask is that you call first so I can make sure I'll be there. 619-692-3300. Looking forward to seeing the entire Southern California OLL gang soon.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Tallship
07-11-2009, 7:14 AM
.But for &#$@'s sake, and I'm speaking to you Duncan's, Precision, et al, please take a nice Sunday drive down to SCG, and try to resolve the cognitive dissonance that will invariably ensue once you see the tasty selection of EBRs they have and routinely sell.

If they do that, they're going to be highly disappointed, because SCG isn't open on Sunday. :kest:

Czechsix
07-11-2009, 8:20 AM

ROFL...what'd Jerry do now?

ukdkbr
07-11-2009, 9:11 AM
Go to National Police supply in Vista, they kick major ***! Or even Quantico tactical in Oceanside, never done any transfers there but they are OLL friendly and have a lot of AR gear.

hawk81
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Annie's get your gun in Corona is black rifle friendly and is really easy to deal with. He is just as close to you as bright spot pawn. This is another option.

BlackDrop50
07-11-2009, 1:21 PM
Why did you even say thank you? Shoulda just walked out when he started badgering you!! That is ridiculous. You wanted a CERTAIN item which most stores don't have, Mossberg 500 cruiser in a can(tube).

I can't stand people like that, who just blab on about stuff you aren't even talking about!! I have a neighbor like that, and he will talk forever until I just walk away from him.

BTW, once anybody starts acting like a used car salesman, it's time to hit the road.

evidens83
07-11-2009, 1:27 PM
Go to National Police supply in Vista, they kick major ***! Or even Quantico tactical in Oceanside, never done any transfers there but they are OLL friendly and have a lot of AR gear.

+2 or Faith Armory in Temecula. They're ggggreat! ;) Great customer service and with employees that actually take care of their customers.

ukdkbr
07-11-2009, 7:46 PM
+2 or Faith Armory in Temecula. They're ggggreat! ;) Great customer service and with employees that actually take care of their customers.

I just moved to Temecula, I need to check out Faith Armory, I've heard nothing but great things.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-11-2009, 7:59 PM
He does not want a combo special, he wants the Cruiser SHTF special. Just because you think it will not be worth the hassle does not mean he thinks it will not.
I recently purchased a Spike's Pirate lower and did the transfer through Paul Johnson in Escondido, I went there twice and was in and out in less than 30 minutes both times.
Sure it cost more than a lower found on the shelves in stores here in San Diego, but it was also something that no stores carried and was worth the hassle and extra money to me.
It is not all about saving money here, it is about getting what you want so you don't end up with buyer's remorse.

what what what. aaron pm me his address. oh and im done with pbnation, tired of everyone pissing on CA becuase they are so awesome to have suppressors la de da.

Yep. Precision and Duncan's are out with me, too. Since Dwayne left Duncan's the place has gone to the dogs. Both places are run by idiots. They don't know Cal laws and act like scared little school girls regarding ARs. Long wait times at both places (i.e. customer service sucks).

I like working with Tom of TSM Consulting Extreme Firearms out of Oceanside. Nice guy. Good customer service. Cheap fees.

i avoid both like the PLAGUE. but precison had a 1911 in my range so i bought it fromt hem. more than what it typically is but it was there. i agree with jerry he can be a ***** if you have a different dea than what he has. god forbid i want a 1piece base, after about 5 mins of arguing i asked him if he wanted to help a customer or let me leave w/o buying a 1 piece he had in stock.

and **** duncans telling me my grandfathers arisaka, with all amrking intact, and a stock he was making is worthless, and not worth his time and id be better of buying a new one.

L8Apex619
07-11-2009, 8:09 PM
If you would like to avoid all these OLL transfer BS problems, come down to Kaiser and buy all you want. No pressure, no hassle, no transfer fees. You can do all the paperwork, and support a local company!! See how your lower is made, check out the cool machines, and take a peek at some upcoming projects. We have KD lowers in stock, not to mention the Calguns.net lowers everyone is talking about. All I ask is that you call first so I can make sure I'll be there. 619-692-3300. Looking forward to seeing the entire Southern California OLL gang soon.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Awesome offer Rob. I think I'll have to take you up on that...

L8Apex619
07-11-2009, 8:16 PM
If they do that, they're going to be highly disappointed, because SCG isn't open on Sunday. :kest:

Well hell, even just looking through the window would mark the closest they'll come to selling an EBR... :chris:

GuyW
07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Given the unprecedented boom cycle (no pun intended) the industry has experienced, these dealers should ALL be working to help secure and protect their customers' 2A rights...

Maybe a regional pool of $ to secure legal representation/protection? Can you imagine a class action suit involving a dozen-or-more FFLs?

What IF "we" could convince the nervous nellies to a 90% level that OLLs are legal? Then we get 5-10+ to band together, and put (say) 10% of the OLL sale proceeds (and related sales) into an escrow account for legal costs?

....could be a win-win for everyone, and the death of a little bit of FUD...

pullnshoot25
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM

That guy is a TOTAL TOOL! I called that shop to invite them to the Third SD OC Meet and the owner essentially said that we were wasting our time and that resistance to the gun laws was futile.

I have never been there and I will never set foot in there either. What a maroon.

pullnshoot25
07-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Someone needs to seriously educate these dealers. It doesn't help matters that the BATF are reinforcing this FUD by directly informing some dealers as such - I know for a fact that at least one small FFL in/around town that has been explicitly informed by their federal BATF agent/rep that, contrary to the letter and established interpretation of the state law, selling OLLs is "illegal."

In all fairness, they're most likely taking the "better safe than sorry" route, and if it was your (or my) business at risk, you, me, and anyone in between might be a little on the cautious side ourselves.

But for &#$@'s sake, and I'm speaking to you Duncan's, Precision, et al, please take a nice Sunday drive down to SCG, and try to resolve the cognitive dissonance that will invariably ensue once you see the tasty selection of EBRs they have and routinely sell.

The guys at Duncan's WANT the OLLs, its the owners that are nervous about the DOJs FUD about it. Hugo (cool gunsmith, rad guy) knows the score but can't do anything about it at the shop.

Precision arms=tools.

OCMI_Teddy
07-13-2009, 1:05 PM
I got my first transfer at Presision Arms (ptp). I too got a half-hour lecture....for a .22lr winchester :rolleyes: The next time I used Gusslers, never plan on going anywhere else.

Casual_Shooter
07-13-2009, 1:25 PM
Yes, Jerry likes to talk. DROS'd my stripped lowers there and got the "you should buy a nice bolt action like this "xxxx" over here.".

I didn't take him too seriously. Felt like he was a good dude just trying to help. If he would have taken it much farther, though, he would have gone from "good dude" to "irritating" pretty quickly.

aethyr
07-13-2009, 1:34 PM
Go 6 minutes to Paul Johnson Company. He is a small FFL that handles OLL transfers as well as carries a small stock of guns and ammunition. He charges I believe 35 for handguns and 30 for long gun transfers. His office is located just off of Nordahl past the railroad tracks.

Google turned up nothing. What is his contact info?

ajaffe
07-13-2009, 2:53 PM
Per his business card:
Paul Johnson Co.
1951 Don Lee Place
Escondido, CA 92029-1141
Phone: 760.796.4450
Fax: 760.738.4839
Email: PJPoliceSupply@aol.com
FFL #33-22963
HSC Trainer #106948

Axewound
07-13-2009, 4:50 PM
i would really like to see a OLL friendly evil black rifle store in north county.

GuyW
07-13-2009, 5:12 PM
I'd like to see Precision Arms opt for knowing the law, and thereby facilitate selling more guns...

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-13-2009, 5:16 PM
i would really like to see a OLL friendly evil black rifle store in north county.

lets open one. and not just oll but FALs, Aks, and other black OMGZ THEY ARE BABY KILLERS! store.:rolleyes: and maybe even some precision rifles. since precision seems to be the only store in north county with them. and duncans has 0 clue about them. Asked for a 1 piece rail with 20 minute of angle cant cant for a rem 700. have you been up to Nate Harrison lately. im curious how hot it gets up thee on that part of the mt.

damon1272
07-13-2009, 9:07 PM
Thanks in advance,
Rob

You just sold one. Will contact you tomorrow.

Axewound
07-13-2009, 9:51 PM
lets open one. and not just oll but FALs, Aks, and other black OMGZ THEY ARE BABY KILLERS! store.:rolleyes: and maybe even some precision rifles. since precision seems to be the only store in north county with them. and duncans has 0 clue about them. Asked for a 1 piece rail with 20 minute of angle cant cant for a rem 700. have you been up to Nate Harrison lately. im curious how hot it gets up thee on that part of the mt.

i havent been in a while but i really wanna shoot this weekend
thinking about a BBM trip as well

yeah if there was a store like the one that you just explained, id be a hell of alot poorer.

we should go into business

Untamed1972
07-14-2009, 8:01 AM
Try National Police Supply in Vista, Chris I think is his name. He just an FFL, not a gun shop so he does online purchase transfers and OLLs all the time. No jacked-up fees either.....and no sales tax last time I did on there.

Unique Pawn Brokers down off University does them as well, but does not do OLLs, but their fees are flat rate.

ETA: Sorry his name is Sean and here is his company info

National Police Supply LLC
1340 Specialty Drive, Suite H
Vista, CA 92081-8566
Phone (760) 599-4410
Fax (760) 599-4440
http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com

OCMI_Teddy
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I think the guy that I sold my AR to was done by Chris. He seemed like a good guy

basing110
07-15-2009, 8:17 AM
in temecula off front street their is a newish gun store next to the safe outlet store which had a mossberg cruiser shtf kit on the shelf ready to go.seemed like a good guy