PDA

View Full Version : Whee! Just put $$ down on new Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk 357

bwiese
02-11-2005, 9:32 AM
Wheeee! It's in.

Took the long way home last nite - stopped by Reed's (San Jose) last nite just for sh*ts and giggles, and saw the new Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk in .357Mag last nite. Had to snap it up.

This is the new Ruger single action that's reverted back to the mid-1950s "flattop" design with smaller Colt SAA-sized frame & grip frame.
(Other Blackhawks will retain the larger frame.
The New Vaquero will also have this new smaller frame. You should NOT run hot .45LC loads in the New Vaquero.)

Blued, 4.625" bbl, still has transfer bar safety, and has new cylinder detent so charge hole lines up with gate for ease of loading.

Naturally I snapped it up in my name by putting $$ on it -- can't start the DROS paperwork for another week or so because less than 30 days from last month's gun (replacement Spgfd Armory 3.5" 1911).

They have one more in stock - the display version, which seems fine and with no handling wear.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bwiese
02-11-2005, 9:32 AM
Wheeee! It's in.

Took the long way home last nite - stopped by Reed's (San Jose) last nite just for sh*ts and giggles, and saw the new Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk in .357Mag last nite. Had to snap it up.

This is the new Ruger single action that's reverted back to the mid-1950s "flattop" design with smaller Colt SAA-sized frame & grip frame.
(Other Blackhawks will retain the larger frame.
The New Vaquero will also have this new smaller frame. You should NOT run hot .45LC loads in the New Vaquero.)

Blued, 4.625" bbl, still has transfer bar safety, and has new cylinder detent so charge hole lines up with gate for ease of loading.

Naturally I snapped it up in my name by putting $$ on it -- can't start the DROS paperwork for another week or so because less than 30 days from last month's gun (replacement Spgfd Armory 3.5" 1911).

They have one more in stock - the display version, which seems fine and with no handling wear.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
02-11-2005, 9:38 AM
Sounds like you hit the jackpot with your 777 post.

Congrats!http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bwiese
02-11-2005, 9:40 AM
Wow, 777. Mark of the Super Beast. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill

Rumpled
02-12-2005, 8:01 PM
Congrats!
After asking and talking about it you're the first I've heard to get one.
How about the Alaskan.

PS Waiting on my, new to me, old Abilene since I left town for a week.

jared@barringtons.com
02-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Cool. My cuson use to have one of the older makes with an 8 inch barrel. That gun has almost no kick. I had a hard time hitting accuratley with it though, but that was because of it's long barrel and my being a rookie with handguns at the time.
You are going to love it.

bwiese
02-14-2005, 9:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rumpled wrote:
After asking and talking about it you're the first I've heard to get one. How about the Alaskan.? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got this 50th Anniv. Blackhawk at Reeds in SJ, which is probably the Bay Area's largest Ruger dealer - or at least the largest Ruger single-action dealer. So their distributor(s) (RSR? Davidson's? Acusport?) got them some allocated guns apparently, due to volume.

Seems that this gun and the New Vaqueros are trickling in, as promised, "after the SHOT Show."

Now, the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is apparently not even in distributor pipeline yet. Plus it will have to be California certified (drop test etc) since it's a double-action. [N.B.: single action wheelguns w/ barrel longer than 3" are exempt from CA drop test certification.]

I'm hearing April for Alaskan release in .454 Casull/45LC. Dunno about .480 Ruger variant, nor if California will have same or later release date(s).

I physically handled two Ruger SRH Alaskans at the SHOT Show in Vegas (one in each caliber). Nice heft - but I believe these were 'demo' guns since their triggers were far grittier/heavier than their longer-barreled brethren.

I do not like the Hogue monogrips - these grips have always looked awkward on the various Ruger wheelguns (unlike appearance on S&Ws). I think I'd take the regular SRH black rubber (?) grip and put it on the Alaskan.

Bill Wiese
San Jose