PDA

View Full Version : Which AK bullet button?

Uncle Jess
07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for help in deciding what AK bullet button to purchase. Any recommendations from AK owners would be helpful. Price isn't so much of an issue, I'm just looking for ease of use/function/reliability. Thanks, Jess.

richzmn
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
riflegear.com under ak products. top of page AK Bullet Button, I just bought one. The quality is good, no drilling, no rivets to remove. Plus they have all types of mag locks.

nicoroshi
07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Personally I made my own based on the JumboPanda design. Easily removable if you go to a free state (or when the laws change). Doesn't change anything on the stock rifle. Installs in less than a minute. The current 'cat's meow' for the AK seems to be the SolarTactical design. Same thing. doesn't change anything on the rifle, easily removable (again free state or law change), and it's smaller than the JumboPanda.

SolarTactical (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176331)
JumboPanda (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93866)
Picture of my homemade mag lock on my latest build (http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6285/dscn2886p.jpg)

Jimmy Deuce
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I would go Solar Tactical or AK bullet button.

sonicbuff
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I like both Jumbo and Solar, but I prefer the Solar, 'cause I can tweak it for other AK variants.

drummerdude1188
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Only a fool would get something other than a jumbopanda...

GoingPro
07-10-2009, 2:46 PM

i just bought a solar tactical ?

shark92651
07-10-2009, 3:19 PM

I better get my hat with the bells on then... :rolleyes:

duraglock
07-10-2009, 3:29 PM
shoot me a pm. Can get one to you plus I have a deal right now for a free extended selector tab. Several out of state vendors picked the solar lock for ak series rifles getting brought into california from out of state based on the design and function.

aplinker
07-10-2009, 3:56 PM

The Solar Tactical is essentially a JP rip-off with improvements.

The new Prince AK BB is good, too.

duraglock
07-10-2009, 4:34 PM
ucla I would beg to differ as you know not of what you speak. . I designed it from the ground up to function how it does.( PATENT PENDING )It was based off being able to knock magazines out with th magizine mounted tool which replicates the natural motion of reloading an ak when Im doing contract work overseas. The angled design allows the lock to slide back and fouth on the trigger guard for differnt latch lengths.It also acts to guide the magazine twards the latch. The lock secures to the trigger guard with even pressure spread over 4 screws. These are laser cut and than stapmed out. They are made in the USA .

JohnBrian
07-10-2009, 4:41 PM
I have both the jumbopanda & the Solartac. I like the look & the security of the Solartac better. The panda works great but it is only secured with one set screw thru the nut so if it becomes loose it could fall out under recoil (I'm guessing anyway, I've never had a problem with it but then I've only shot a hundred rounds or so using it).

MikeR
07-10-2009, 4:44 PM
I would go Solar Tactical or AK bullet button.

I did 2x, IMO, best AK BB out.

...and i was a fool long before i got them :p

aplinker
07-10-2009, 4:45 PM
ucla I would beg to differ as you know not of what you speak. . I designed it from the ground up to function how it does.( PATENT PENDING )It was based off being able to knock magazines out with th magizine mounted tool which replicates the natural motion of reloading an ak when Im doing contract work overseas. The angled design allows the lock to slide back and fouth on the trigger guard for differnt latch lengths.It also acts to guide the magazine twards the latch. The lock secures to the trigger guard with even pressure spread over 4 screws. These are laser cut and than stapmed out. They are made in the USA .

So the fact I own both means I don't know of what I speak?

The basic features of the design are the same. You extended it. I'm not knocking you, but you're also not giving credit where it's due.

I've done enough IP work to know "Patent Pending" is a garbage term.

Again, don't take this as harsh - you make an excellent product and I agree it's the nicest available.

duraglock
07-10-2009, 5:06 PM
Thankyou for the purchase and im glad your happy with it but you dont know what drove the design. Several prototypes were made and tested and this design was the best. The goal is to block access to the latch . The jumbo panda is made from a square tube with a nut and screw to attach to the rifle. It has a slot that allows it to slide over the trigger guard and cover the latch. The jumbo panda was a really good idea when it came to market compared to the others that required removing the latch or rivet but did not meet my needs I was looking for.It was a kiss design but on several occasions my jumbo panda came loose under recoil. The screw was put on with red loctite on and pliers were used to grasp the sides of the metal so it would not spread while turning the set screw and nut.It was on plenty tight evidenced by the circles left on the bottom of the trigger guard. I liked that it was a no mod install and could be reversed for out of state training .As far as patent pending it cant be used unless the paper work has been filed. I think the market drives invention and on calguns the members continue to be some of the most creative group of guys on the net. I seen a ar15 bullet button design by another member that was a dovetail cap over a button . Very cool and although I have an ar series desgin that is also a button cover they are not the same.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2009, 5:17 PM
I am currently using a JP on my first build and 6 Solar Tacticals on my next 6 builds. I have one more to finish and put a lock on. I've still got one JP and one ST lock left. Can you guess which one I'll use?

aplinker
07-10-2009, 5:28 PM
Bro, I understand. I wasn't trying to dress down your design or what you've done. Your lock is absolutely an improvement - in no way do I disagree with that (that's in there, too). You have nothing to defend there. ;)

I think it's my word choice that's the issue. The basics of the design uses the JP idea, with several significant improvements that make it much more usable/reliable. Is that more warm/fuzzy?

You wanna hug it out *****? :D

Thankyou for the purchase and im glad your happy with it but you dont know what drove the design. Several prototypes were made and tested and this design was the best. The goal is to block access to the latch . The jumbo panda is made from a square tube with a nut and screw to attach to the rifle. It has a slot that allows it to slide over the trigger guard and cover the latch. The jumbo panda was a really good idea when it came to market compared to the others that required removing the latch or rivet but did not meet my needs I was looking for.It was a kiss design but on several occasions my jumbo panda came loose under recoil. The screw was put on with red loctite on and pliers were used to grasp the sides of the metal so it would not spread while turning the set screw and nut.It was on plenty tight evidenced by the circles left on the bottom of the trigger guard. I liked that it was a no mod install and could be reversed for out of state training .As far as patent pending it cant be used unless the paper work has been filed. I think the market drives invention and on calguns the members continue to be some of the most creative group of guys on the net. I seen a ar15 bullet button design by another member that was a dovetail cap over a button . Very cool and although I have an ar series desgin that is also a button cover they are not the same.

aplinker
07-10-2009, 5:30 PM
I am currently using a JP on my first build and 6 Solar Tacticals on my next 6 builds. I have one more to finish and put a lock on. I've still got one JP and one ST lock left. Can you guess which one I'll use?

If I get it right, do I get a cookie? :D

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2009, 5:35 PM
If I get it right, do I get a cookie? :D

I can sed you a link to a cookie or two.

aplinker
07-10-2009, 5:40 PM
I can sed you a link to a cookie or two.

I have cookies turned off. :p

duraglock
07-10-2009, 6:06 PM
No worries Im just glad to help get gear to fellow calgunners.

aplinker
07-10-2009, 6:07 PM
No worries Im just glad to help get gear to fellow calgunners.

We appreciate it.

mrhappy
07-10-2009, 6:12 PM
I vote Solar Tactical and I bought about a hal-dozen of 'em since they came out. Plus, the safety extension tab is a cool little addition too.

eroberts88
07-10-2009, 6:17 PM
I bought a Raddlock. It works great :D

SJgunguy24
07-10-2009, 7:21 PM
I vote no mag lock.

We also had a Calgunner get into trouble while running a Jumbo Panda maglock. They fall off and get lost whenever LEO's handle said rifle, and magical AW charges are filed.

LexArma (Don Kilmer) himself told me to stay away from that style of lock. It's just held on by tension and a set screw. I don't run maglocks on any of my builds, I believe in function first and looks are an after thought.

I'm not saying that mag locks suck, just they aren't my thing. If I were to run a maglock i'd opt for something that would take a hammer to get off, solid mechanical attachment is a must. Remember it's a prison sentence and nothing to play around with.

RaceDay
07-10-2009, 8:28 PM
Solar tactical lock all the way. Running one on my AK (big improvement over gripless and MMG). The PSL I got from Henderson came with solar tactical already installed. Installation takes a minute, the lock looks good, it works good, its got 4 screws and has been rock solid so far, what more can you ask for (unless you are UCLA...)

JPurp
07-10-2009, 8:56 PM
I started with the AK BB. It was easy to install with no permanent modifications and the black finish it blended in will with my rifle. It was VERY difficult to change mags in my Bulgy 74. I definitely couldn't use a bullet. I needed to use a screw driver or a long key.

I just switched to the Solar Tactical. It also installed easy with no permanent modifications. It is a gray color so it does stick out a bit. I am now able to change mags with the use of a bullet.

I have not tried the Jumbo Panda.

luchador768
07-10-2009, 9:39 PM
Solar tactical lock all the way. Running one on my AK (big improvement over gripless and MMG). The PSL I got from Henderson came with solar tactical already installed. Installation takes a minute, the lock looks good, it works good, its got 4 screws and has been rock solid so far, what more can you ask for (unless you are UCLA...)

+100 ! I picked up three of them, great design, easy to use, and at my door in just over 24 hours! I had a rad lock on my Tantal and Romy AK and they were/are a hige PITA to use.

aplinker
07-10-2009, 9:53 PM

:confused::rolleyes: I guess you didn't read or notice that the 1st post I made was actually a statement for the SolarTactical? :shrug:

Here's a cookie for you, anyways.
http://assets3.sparkpeople.com/assets/diet/emoticons/e495.gif

vandal
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
JumboPanda was the absolute minimum technical solution to meet the letter of the law with no regard for tactics.

Solar Tactical lock came at the problem from the tactical manipulations and sound training side, and wound up with something that resembles the JP only in that they both have a slot! If you aren't using the magazine-mounted tools with the Solar Tactical lock you're missing 80% of its value IMHO.

bmaksdad
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Duraglock, are you still planning on producing a Duracoated version in black? If so, when do you think they will be available?

Thanks

duraglock
07-11-2009, 9:02 AM
Might do them in black in the future.

CSACANNONEER
07-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I vote no mag lock.

Yep, my first three AK type rifles don't require locks. I needed to be able to use all my old mags and drums somehow. But, I also wanted some of my rifles to have the real feel of an AK style rifle (or pistol:43:) so, locks were needed here.
If you aren't using the magazine-mounted tools with the Solar Tactical lock you're missing 80% of its value IMHO.

I'm missing a lot. Can someone provide a link with pictures of said tools in use? Thanks.

duraglock
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I used the tool at an lms rifle course and also 3 gun matches. Its a magazine mounted tool that allows you to knock out the magazine while using the lock. Great training tool since you are training the proper muscle memory of knocking out the magazine.They are on the website or in the add in the for sale section.

CSACANNONEER
07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I see the picture of the tool attached to the mag with a strap. I'm just not sure how the work smoothly. Is there an instructional video showing there use?

duraglock
07-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I had a video up were I did 3 magazine changes will try to find it. Basically you grasp the magazine on the base and insert the tip into the channel to engage the latch . With a forward motion you knock out the old magazine and insert the fresh one. If you have ever practiced reloading your ak like this for work,matches or fun its the same motion.