PDA

View Full Version : SunDevil Receiver Out of Spec Outcome

Phil3
07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
On another thread (below), I spoke about a SunDevil lower receiver that may have had out if spec trigger and hammer holes that were too large.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=193783

After an excessively long wait and persistent phone calls, SunDevil has confirmed the holes are out of spec are too large. They do not know how this happened, but assure me the new receiver will have tighter holes. They will be removing my lower parts kit pieces from the original receiver, and send me a replacement receiver with the same serial number as the one I sent them to inspect. That original one will be destroyed.

The fly in the ointment is that they will engrave the serial number, but claim they have no control over how long it will be before the anodizer gets done with it. Could be weeks. SunDevil was insistent they have no control over that.

SunDevil has been slow on response, and it remains to be seen just how snug fitting the new receiver will be.

Ironic, the SunDevil receiver was the first part I got for this rifle, and ends up being the last part to arrive.

- Phil

gun toting monkeyboy
07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Just grin and nod. There's nothing that you can really do about it, and there is no point in worrying about it. These things happen, and at least your story has a relatively happy ending. If you are still upset, don't buy from them again. And just move on. Life is too short to fume about this for too long.

B Strong
07-10-2009, 6:09 AM
On another thread (below), I spoke about a SunDevil lower receiver that may have had out if spec trigger and hammer holes that were too large.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=193783

After an excessively long wait and persistent phone calls, SunDevil has confirmed the holes are out of spec are too large. They do not know how this happened, but assure me the new receiver will have tighter holes. They will be removing my lower parts kit pieces from the original receiver, and send me a replacement receiver with the same serial number as the one I sent them to inspect. That original one will be destroyed.

The fly in the ointment is that they will engrave the serial number, but claim they have no control over how long it will be before the anodizer gets done with it. Could be weeks. SunDevil was insistent they have no control over that.

SunDevil has been slow on response, and it remains to be seen just how snug fitting the new receiver will be.

Ironic, the SunDevil receiver was the first part I got for this rifle, and ends up being the last part to arrive.

- Phil

You have to take the sweet with the bitter.

Some outfits might just say that you mucked up the holes during assembly, and tell you to pound sand.

I'd say you're Ok - suck it up and wait for the happy box to arrive.

Olav
07-10-2009, 6:18 AM
I was waiting for their anodizer to do his thing before I finally received my lower from them. I think I waited a couple of months. Sundevil sends all their parts out to be anodized by someone else who is pretty darn slow.

I'm happy with their stuff though.

THT
07-10-2009, 6:44 AM
Good to hear they're making it right even though you're at the mercy of their anodizer.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-10-2009, 7:43 AM
see if there are any local people who do annodizing and have it done yourself?
probably get it done faster but your paying more for it.

bombadillo
07-10-2009, 8:28 AM
Tell them to give it to you raw and duracoat it! Good to hear they are taking you seriously and getting to the problem.

Tony.
07-10-2009, 8:36 AM
Tell them to give it to you raw and duracoat it! Good to hear they are taking you seriously and getting to the problem.

Not a good idea. Anoziding is more than coloring the receiver.

Phil3
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I finally received the replacement receiver from SunDevil. I had returned the original because even a Geissele trigger oversize hammer pin fell right through the receiver holes. SunDevil said the receiver I sent back had oversize holes.

The receiver looked good except for a couple of minor marks (seems typical of AR parts). I tested the new receiver with a Geissele trigger oversize (.1563") hammer pin. Unbelievably, the pin fit appears just as loose as it did on the first receiver, falling right through the hammer and trigger holes!

I wish I knew what receiver Geissele expects their pins to fit snugly in. This is the second SunDevil receiver the pins are a loose fit in, and fitment to a third SunDevil revealed the same kind of fit. I tried the pins in a Noveske N6 receiver, and the fit is a bit tighter, but the pins still are not even close to a snug fit.

Has anyone had a receiver where the trigger and hammer pins actually were a snug fit in the receiver?

- Phil

Blackhawk556
07-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I finally received the replacement receiver from SunDevil. I had returned the original because even a Geissele trigger oversize hammer pin fell right through the receiver holes. SunDevil said the receiver I sent back had oversize holes.

The receiver looked good except for a couple of minor marks (seems typical of AR parts). I tested the new receiver with a Geissele trigger oversize (.1563") hammer pin. Unbelievably, the pin fit appears just as loose as it did on the first receiver, falling right through the hammer and trigger holes!

I wish I knew what receiver Geissele expects their pins to fit snugly in. This is the second SunDevil receiver the pins are a loose fit in, and fitment to a third SunDevil revealed the same kind of fit. I tried the pins in a Noveske N6 receiver, and the fit is a bit tighter, but the pins still are not even close to a snug fit.

Has anyone had a receiver where the trigger and hammer pins actually were a snug fit in the receiver?

- Phil

i have a double star lower with trigger and hammer pins that fit REALLY tight. I couldn't even hammer them in at first. I used a rock river kit just to let you know.

my second lower was a "superior arms" and the pins are a little loose actually. I used a cmmg kit on this one

aplinker
07-30-2009, 1:08 AM
Something is wrong here.

I'm guessing those aren't Geissele pins, something happened to them, etc.

You need to find someone local with another lower and trigger pin set to test.

- Phil

XS40
07-30-2009, 4:37 AM

- Phil

I have a perfectly snug Geissele SR trigger in a Kaiser Defense small pin lower.

In researching before purchasing the trigger, I don't recall any postings about loose pin problems on the Geissele's. But then again, I only recall forged lowers with Geissele triggers.

Phil3
07-30-2009, 6:28 AM
Something is wrong here.

I'm guessing those aren't Geissele pins, something happened to them, etc.

You need to find someone local with another lower and trigger pin set to test.

The Geissele pins measure to the dimension they said they are. .1558' for the standard pin and .1563" for the oversize pin. I am going to try and find places with different lowers I can test. But, it is disturbing that two brands of lowers (SunDevil and Noveske) have loose fits.

- Phil

WeekendWarrior
07-30-2009, 7:33 AM
Sometimes you just draw the short straw. It sucks, but be patient, I am really happy with my Sun Devil lower and I'm sure you will be to once you get it replaced. Nothing you can do about it at this point. If you don't have any ARs to shoot while you wait, you are more than welcome to come shoot mine if you're in the Bay Area

Linus
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Sucks, but hey, what better excuse can you give yourself to buy a second Lower?

aplinker
07-30-2009, 1:54 PM
The Geissele pins measure to the dimension they said they are. .1558' for the standard pin and .1563" for the oversize pin. I am going to try and find places with different lowers I can test. But, it is disturbing that two brands of lowers (SunDevil and Noveske) have loose fits.

- Phil

How "loose" are we talking?

Trigger pins will slide right through if the trigger isn't in place.

Phil3
07-30-2009, 3:21 PM
Sucks, but hey, what better excuse can you give yourself to buy a second Lower?

There isn't one (to not buy another lower). I intend to do that. Just not sure which one (that has tight pin holes).

Phil3
07-30-2009, 3:32 PM
How "loose" are we talking?

Trigger pins will slide right through if the trigger isn't in place.

I have not measured the pin holes on the replacement receiver, but given they feel as loose as they did in the original receiver, they are probably the same .1584". Combined with a Geissele oversize hammer pin, which I measured at .1558" (Geissele claims .1563"), that is a clearance of .0026". If I use standard Rock River Arms pins of .154", the clearance is .0044", thicker than a sticky note (~ .0039").

Geissele says the pins should be a snug fit in the receiver without the trigger or hammer in place. If it isn't, use the oversize pin for the hammer. Even the oversize pin falls through with zero resistance.

- Phil

Phil3
07-30-2009, 3:39 PM
Sometimes you just draw the short straw. It sucks, but be patient, I am really happy with my Sun Devil lower and I'm sure you will be to once you get it replaced. Nothing you can do about it at this point. If you don't have any ARs to shoot while you wait, you are more than welcome to come shoot mine if you're in the Bay Area

With all due respect (seriously), be patient for what? SunDevil admitted the receiver I returned had oversize holes. They sent me a replacement, which by all indications of how the pins fit, is no different than the first receiver. So what was the point of that exercise? It appears to me SunDevil is incapable or unwilling to make a receiver with holes that are smaller, like CMMG, Seekins, and some others do. Their handling of the situation started out OK, but has been poor every since. I will measure the holes tomorrow when I have the measuring tool, but if they are same as the last receiver, they will get an earful.

- Phil