PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Chabot rifle range today

berg
06-12-2005, 3:13 PM
Anyone else there today when the fire broke out? One thing I learned from this:
Always have an exit strategy no matter where you are.

The fire started behind the 100 yard target area in the brush. This was between the range and the only road out. If the fire was not put out in time we would have been trapped.

As soon as I saw the smoke and saw that this might not be taken care of quickly I got ready to leave. When they finally allowed us to go past the red line and collect our stuff I was the first guy out of there.

PJA
06-12-2005, 3:48 PM
Please keep us updated. I would have been there today except my inlaws are in town this weekend for my stepson's graduation from Santa Clara.
Pete

berg
06-12-2005, 4:37 PM
The fire dept had arrived by the time I left. No damage to the range. I'm sure it will be open tomorrow for business.

There was a twist as to the cause though. I won't post details on the cause just yet. It was not what you would expect either (tracer round or riccochet).

BigAL
06-12-2005, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by Berg:
There was a twist as to the cause though. I won't post details on the cause just yet. It was not what you would expect either (tracer round or riccochet).

Don't leave us hanging!

berg
06-12-2005, 9:36 PM
Ok well I haven't gotten confirmation yet on it but here's what I know.
When the fire was put out the Oakland Parks Service guy found what he called a "projectile" among the smoldering debris. Another one was found at the top of the dirt berm not far from the fire.

After the oakland police dept was called out an officer went down to look at it. He said it had "fins"....huh? He said it was too big to be a shotgun slug or .50 cal projectile.

I later was told the projectiles were blue, had fins and appeared to be grenades. John Maunder, the range manager, went down the line and checked every single rifle there and found no grenade launchers.

How they got there and what their purpose was is not known by me. I'm thinking of going back there tomorrow (Monday) and getting more info.

rkt88edmo
06-12-2005, 10:47 PM
You never know, they could have been model rockets. I've talked to an open space park ranger who says he will shoo out 2-4 people a year, and those are the ones he actually catches.

And we're talking about a very dry and grassy park, like most of the East Bay hills http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Ratters
06-14-2005, 8:55 PM
I hope they don't ban steel jacketed ammo.

tango 5
06-15-2005, 5:31 AM
And we're talking about a very dry and grassy park, like most of the East Bay hills http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

All of the East Bay is dry lke that, i hate it. But i love living here though, lol.