PDA

View Full Version : Removing front sight post AR

mlatino
07-09-2009, 7:19 PM
If anyone has the insight and tools to help me remove a front sight post on my AR and replace it with a gas block, let me know. Thanks.

fusionstar
07-09-2009, 7:24 PM
http://www.laruetactical.us/pics/handguard_video_0001.wmv

Josh3239
07-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Hammer and a punch, knock 'em out. They are tapered so eyeball it to figure out which side you need to knock 'em out from. I have knocked out maybe 3-5 FSB's and of all those pins, I have only needed to drill out one. I did it with a hand drill. Don't sweat it, it is pretty easy.

popeye4
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Hammer and a punch, knock 'em out. They are tapered so eyeball it to figure out which side you need to knock 'em out from. I have knocked out maybe 3-5 FSB's and of all those pins, I have only needed to drill out one. I did it with a hand drill. Don't sweat it, it is pretty easy.

But you have to support the front sight post and really wail on the pins (make sure you are hitting the correct end). Due to the taper, they can be really tenacious.

jeffyboy
07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Depending on the manufacture of the upper the hammer and punch might not work. You may have to break out the dremal to get those little %$%^$ out. Just take your time and be careful.

pacrimguru
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.laruetactical.us/pics/handguard_video_0001.wmv

LOL, it's not as easy as that video shows it to be! hammer the pins out from left to right when looking from butt stock to the tip of the barrel. put some oil on the pins and let it penetrate before starting to hammer them. if you still come into resistance, try using a torch or heat gun as well.

popeye4
07-10-2009, 3:35 PM
LOL, it's not as easy as that video shows it to be! hammer the pins out from left to right when looking from butt stock to the tip of the barrel. put some oil on the pins and let it penetrate before starting to hammer them. if you still come into resistance, try using a torch or heat gun as well.

If you can find it, Kroil is the best penetrating oil I've ever used. I was able to unscrew 50+ year old galvanized water pipe after applying Kroil and letting it sit for a couple of hours.

shark92651
07-10-2009, 4:02 PM
If you are going to toss the FSB anyway it is sometimes easiest to just drill the end of the pin down about 1/8" and then you can wail on it with the punch and hammer and the punch will not slip off the pin. Just use a hand drill and 1/8" bit.

anniepoks
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
...or grind off the head so it will be easier to push thru the other side.

fusionstar
07-11-2009, 1:36 PM
I've never had a problem removing the pins. But thats probably because I dont think I have removed enough to find the stubborn one, haha lucky me. I use the brownells FSB Block. On a solid work bench.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11127/guntechdetail/

mlatino
07-11-2009, 7:18 PM
An hour of hammering and 2 steel punches later... I have 1 tapered pin half way out, the other one hasn't budged. Currently soaking in WD. I might need someone near the Lodi/Stockton area with some know-how - We'll see in a few hours.