PDA

View Full Version : Sight in front of scope question (with pics)

problemchild
07-09-2009, 4:16 PM
So my scope arrived and I got her all mounted up. I went to remove the POF front factory site and got stuck. It seems the factory beat the front sight on with a hammer or something. If you take a close look at the rails near the front of the site you can see scratch marks where they forced it over the rail. Its so sticking tight that even with the screws removed I cant budge it. If I try Im going to damage the sight, damage the gun or both. This kind of pisses me off to say the least.

So my question is this. How much of my scope picture will be degraded by having the sight in the way? Will I lose brightness, clarity or sharpness? What should I do?

DirtRacer151
07-09-2009, 4:20 PM
wow... mine came right off and i sold it on gunbroker for $60. I dont see why it shouldnt come off but if you do get it off and its tore up under there i think a call to POF is in order

emilio
07-09-2009, 4:32 PM
take off the handguard and clamp it somewhere you can really put some torque on it. use masking/painter's tape to cover everything you wish to keep scratch-free.

then soak the hell out of it with penetrating oil and leave it for a few hours. i'm fond of Kroil, but plain-jane WD-40 works, too. get yourself a hex driver with a good handle, or lock a hex key in some locking pliers, and go to work.

barring that, put the whole thing in the fridge for a bit to cool off. put it back in the vise and LIGHTLY and QUICKLY brush the sight base with a coarse propane torch - you're just trying to warm it up. avoid the screw heads. then try again.

- emilio

gemini1
07-09-2009, 7:15 PM
I dont think this is going to be a problem. I mounted a cheap 3-9x40 scope on my AR to see how it would look, the FSP is right in the middle of the objective lens, but you wont see the front sight when you look throught the scope.

problemchild
07-09-2009, 7:20 PM
take off the handguard and clamp it somewhere you can really put some torque on it. use masking/painter's tape to cover everything you wish to keep scratch-free.

then soak the hell out of it with penetrating oil and leave it for a few hours. i'm fond of Kroil, but plain-jane WD-40 works, too. get yourself a hex driver with a good handle, or lock a hex key in some locking pliers, and go to work.

barring that, put the whole thing in the fridge for a bit to cool off. put it back in the vise and LIGHTLY and QUICKLY brush the sight base with a coarse propane torch - you're just trying to warm it up. avoid the screw heads. then try again.

- emilio

I took the screws out thats not the issue. Look at the design of the sight. Its two metal hollow areas that are crushed onto the rail. It does NOT have a clamp. It is crushed tight and it wont budge. I smacked it with a rubber mallet and it never budged and that was with the screw out.

So back to my original question. Will this degrade the scope image?

Pthfndr
07-09-2009, 7:53 PM
So back to my original question. Will this degrade the scope image?

Not if it's more than a 4x scope.

Have you even looked through the scope since you mounted it? With most scopes, the way a scope works you won't see the front sight.

emilio
07-09-2009, 8:01 PM
I took the screws out thats not the issue. Look at the design of the sight. Its two metal hollow areas that are crushed onto the rail. It does NOT have a clamp. It is crushed tight and it wont budge. I smacked it with a rubber mallet and it never budged and that was with the screw out.

ahhh, i see what you mean, there's no moveable clamp. my suggestion still stands: remove the screws and try knocking it forward with penetrating oil or with cold rails and heat on the sight base.

as for the sight issue, i don't know exactly how it will affect shooting but i can guess that it will just dim the picture but not affect the POI. if it's a problem, perhaps try a rail riser.

have you shot this rifle a lot with that forend & sight? and that's a pretty upper and lower combo and finish, what are they?
- emilio

problemchild
07-09-2009, 8:14 PM
Here is a better view of the scratch under the sight. The factory did that putting the sight on.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/proofs/IMG_1911b.jpg

cmace22
07-09-2009, 8:31 PM
Cut it off......:shrug:

Vtec44
07-09-2009, 8:54 PM
Is it all metal? You can try to warm it up to see it will losen up a bit. I have the standard front sight post on my M4 and it doesn't affect my view at all. There's very slight hint of it if you zoom all the way out.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z122/Vtec44/Zombie%20Survival/DSCF3536.jpg

RaceDay
07-09-2009, 9:09 PM
So how does the scope view look when you test drive it? I've shot my CMMG upper with the front post still on and didn't even notice it through the scope. I can see the front post with my other eye but it isn't in the scope image.

nicoroshi
07-09-2009, 9:18 PM
Should not effect the scope image.
If you really want the front sight off i vote for cutting it right above the rail into the 'U' shaped cut in the sight on one side. This should relieve the pressure on the rail but would also ruin the front sight.

problemchild
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Should not effect the scope image.
If you really want the front sight off i vote for cutting it right above the rail into the 'U' shaped cut in the sight on one side. This should relieve the pressure on the rail but would also ruin the front sight.

Thanks

I will see if I can talk POF into sending me a new rail and sight. Then I can cut this one off and remove the rail bolts. I will send the pieces back in a box. with a note letting them know what I think of their handy work.