PDA

View Full Version : Help with where to buy an AR

HullarP
07-09-2009, 2:44 PM
Hello! I have recently moved into CA (job transfer) from Missouri and want to purchase a Bushmaster C15 M4. I've been reading a lot of the CA laws and believe that since it's an OLL that I can configure with a Bullet Button, I should be perfectly legal.

"Cold War Shooters" in Highland, CA will sell me one for $1700. "Impact Guns" sells the same model for $975 but won't add the Bullet Button or ship into CA. Can anyone recommend a CA store that has reasonable prices? I'm not trying to nickel-and-dime a price, but an $800 premium on a $1000 gun seems crazy!

I live in southern CA but I'm willing to ship or travel to the right store. Thanks!

Eroland7
07-09-2009, 2:46 PM
If you are intent on buying a full rifle and not bulding one, I would suggest just keeping an eye on the marketplace forums on this site. Sales have gone down greatly in the last couple months dropping prices .

domokun
07-09-2009, 2:48 PM
Hello! I have recently moved into CA (job transfer) from Missouri and want to purchase a Bushmaster C15 M4. I've been reading a lot of the CA laws and believe that since it's an OLL that I can configure with a Bullet Button, I should be perfectly legal.

"Cold War Shooters" in Highland, CA will sell me one for $1700. "Impact Guns" sells the same model for $975 but won't add the Bullet Button or ship into CA. Can anyone recommend a CA store that has reasonable prices? I'm not trying to nickel-and-dime a price, but an $800 premium on a $1000 gun seems crazy!

I live in southern CA but I'm willing to ship or travel to the right store. Thanks!

Where abouts are you in Southern CA? That region has lots of OLL stores that can sell you a CA legal OLL AR15 patterned rifle.

Flying Bones
07-09-2009, 3:06 PM
Can you change a tire on a bicycle? If so you're capable of building a rifle. It's a lot of fun and good learning. I suggest you look into it.

HullarP
07-09-2009, 3:26 PM
Thanks! I live in Simi Valley. I'm willing to buy the components and build it myself - I'd actually really enjoy doing that. But the stores that I talked with don't want to sell just the OLL. They want to sell the complete rifle. Anyone in Southern CA that you recommend to purchase an OLL?

(I'm really partial to the Bushmaster C-15 because I shoot one-handed and the weight difference really helps. I had a PO C-15 in Missouri but it's a listed lower)

OutbreakPLZ
07-09-2009, 3:36 PM
building one is WAAYYY more fun and satisfying than buying a complete, i JUST got done yesterday building mine, get the phone book out and call around gunstores asking if any one will DROS a lower for you, and when you find one, then what you do is some online shopping go to ,gun broker, guns america, and find someone thats not afraid to send a stripped lower to CA to the gun store willing to accept it. PM if it seems confusing i was REALLY confused at first.

good luck!

HullarP
07-09-2009, 3:41 PM
I'm still trying to decifer all of this. What is DROS?

And I'm open to any recos for stores in either Ventura or Simi Valley that do this. Thanks!

spareparts
07-09-2009, 3:48 PM
DROS is Dealer Record of Sale. In a nut shell you pay an amount of money for the dealer to do the transfer and paperwork.

AlliedArmory
07-09-2009, 3:51 PM
build one. it is a lot of fun and great building experience. anyone can do it

Glock_XXI
07-09-2009, 3:54 PM
DROS is Dealer Record of Sale. In a nut shell you pay an amount of money for the dealer to do the transfer and paperwork.

Actually the DROS is a whack fee you have to pay the state of CA to buy a firearm. You will still have to pay a dealer a transfer fee.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-09-2009, 3:59 PM
Cold War Shooters will sell you a stripped lower for around $130-150. The you can order whatever parts you want from whoever you want, and put it together yourself. I would recommend buying the upper and bolt carrier group assembled, as they will come pre-headspaced for you, and it is usually cheaper to do it that way than to nickle and dime it together. There are all kinds of sights that will show you how to do it. I used the lower receiver assembly videos on youtube to build my first lower. Some people bash it, but I liked it, and it was easy to follow. Just remember your bullet button, and have fun.

-Mb

i_kai
07-09-2009, 4:09 PM
Enterprise Arms in Irwindale will DROS for you at a decent price...i think you can pretty much get a lower from any of the sponsored links from cgn to ship it to CA.

aplinker
07-09-2009, 4:16 PM
Simi? Hands down, Fort Courage.

Take a look below at the map of OLL dealers, as well.

GettinReady
07-09-2009, 4:45 PM
RifleGear.com
3303 Harbor Blvd. Suite D7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

This is closer than CWS. They stock stripped lowers.

tujungatoes
07-09-2009, 6:01 PM
+1 on Ft. Courage. Tim is a great guy to deal with.:thumbsup:

HullarP
07-09-2009, 7:51 PM
OK I'm convinced:) I'm going to build one. Now to find a SoCal Store to get my OLL! Thanks for the great advice!

Paul

Flying Bones
07-09-2009, 8:52 PM
OK I'm convinced:) I'm going to build one. Now to find a SoCal Store to get my OLL! Thanks for the great advice!

Paul

WOOT WOOT! Awesome. Somewhere on here there is a quote..."Guns make Heroin seem like a slight craving for something salty." or something like that, lol. That's how I feel about the AR. You're in for a lot of fun.

FCinCA
07-09-2009, 8:53 PM
OK I'm convinced:) I'm going to build one.
Paul

:iagree::mnl:

shark92651
07-10-2009, 6:58 AM
Welcome to the disease. Check out our website or come visit us, we will be happy to answer any questions you have or help you with the build.

WHenderson
07-10-2009, 7:25 AM
(I'm really partial to the Bushmaster C-15 because I shoot one-handed and the weight difference really helps. I had a PO C-15 in Missouri but it's a listed lower)

Independent Armament has a carbon fiber stripped lower receiver for sale in their display case. (exctly like a Bushmaser C15) They are in San Fernando, which is not far from Simi Valley. Approximately 30 minute trip. 818-322-4585 or 818-674-6744

aplinker
07-10-2009, 3:30 PM

You can do things that are better choices for making a light rifle. Going with a C-15 would be my 2nd to last choice - making the upper a Carbon would be the last.

Pick a lighter profile barrel and don't add a bunch of junk and you can keep it under 5# even with a forged lower.

SubstanceP
07-10-2009, 4:19 PM

Paul

Stay away from SoCalGun. They're scumbags.

Why don't you see if you can get one of the Kaiser Defense lowers talked about here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200552. Great product locally made. Would be an awesome way to say hello to Cal.

HullarP
07-10-2009, 5:12 PM
You can do things that are better choices for making a light rifle. Going with a C-15 would be my 2nd to last choice - making the upper a Carbon would be the last.

Pick a lighter profile barrel and don't add a bunch of junk and you can keep it under 5# even with a forged lower.
Have you had trouble with the C-15 lower? I agree with the lighter profile barrel and would still plan to do that with the C-15. I haven't heard of any bad experiences with them - but it sounds like you may know something that I don't.

MILLITIAof1
07-10-2009, 5:15 PM
Buy your lower from Fort Courage Armory, DO NOT go to Grets's Guns!
Get everything else from Addax Tactical, he is local too.

HullarP
07-10-2009, 5:36 PM
OK Guys I did it:) I stopped at Fort Armory and ordered my OLL! Thanks for all of the coaching and encouragement! And now the adventure begins.....

Btw I found Tim and MaryBeth to be great. Very helpful and my kind of people:)

Still a bit intimidating to build one myself......but I took the plunge! :)

aplinker
07-10-2009, 5:39 PM
Have you had trouble with the C-15 lower? I agree with the lighter profile barrel and would still plan to do that with the C-15. I haven't heard of any bad experiences with them - but it sounds like you may know something that I don't.

I've seen the results of a KB with a C-15 upper. Not pretty. That's not to say they KB more easily, but the consequences have substantial increased potential for serious injury.

The lowers are about $100 more than a forged. Consider whether the 2oz really makes a difference.

bsim
07-11-2009, 7:53 PM
I was in there when you were talking with Tim. I love it when I hear "Calguns" in a gunshop! Tim transferred my lower a few months ago.

Don't be intimidated, except for the bolt release roll pin. Take your time on that one. And the front upper pin, try to do it in an empty 10x10 white painted floor room (for when the detent goes flying out of your control). It's easier to find that way. :)

HullarP
07-12-2009, 1:02 PM
I was in there when you were talking with Tim. I love it when I hear "Calguns" in a gunshop! Tim transferred my lower a few months ago.

Don't be intimidated, except for the bolt release roll pin. Take your time on that one. And the front upper pin, try to do it in an empty 10x10 white painted floor room (for when the detent goes flying out of your control). It's easier to find that way. :)
Nice to have crossed paths! Fort Courage seems like a great place to hang out and learn a lot. Next time I'll try to say hi. And thanks for the advice on the trickier procedures:)

MILLITIAof1
07-12-2009, 1:45 PM
Nice to have crossed paths! Fort Courage seems like a great place to hang out and learn a lot. Next time I'll try to say hi. And thanks for the advice on the trickier procedures:)
Its not a trick process one bit.
Cover the jaws of a pair of channel locks with duct tape and squeeze the roll pin in, takes all of 5 seconds.

bsim
07-12-2009, 7:18 PM
Its not a trick process one bit. Correct, it's not rocket science, but it IS the one not to rush on!