PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy comparison for AR15 barrels

ronas
07-09-2009, 3:40 PM
How would the accuracy of a Colt 6940 with 16" barrel and 1/7 twist compare to a Larue or a Noveske with the same barrel length and twist rate?

MasterYong
07-09-2009, 4:01 PM
I'd say that the odds of the average shooter being able to tell the difference would be minimal, but there are a lot of folks on CalGuns that know much more than I.

One thing that I hear over and over is that too many folks put a lot of $$$ into a gun that shoots more accurately than they ever will.

So, while I'm sure the accuracy varies- will you ever really notice? If the length is the same and the twist rate is the same, and assuming (although you did not say) that they are both either chrome-lined or stainless and not lined differently from each other, then the real question would be: how likely is it that anyone would even be able to tell without using a rest that basically holds the gun for you?

I know that I'd never be able to tell, personally. I'm happy if I can shoot <2" groups at 100 yards offhand with any rifle I own. Some I can get sub MOA though if I use a rest.

Once A Marine
07-09-2009, 4:10 PM
What is your intent with the weapon? If it's precision type competition shooting, then the barrel can make a difference.

For just about anything else, accuracy is mostly upon your marksmanship skills.

aplinker
07-09-2009, 5:25 PM
How would the accuracy of a Colt 6940 with 16" barrel and 1/7 twist compare to a Larue or a Noveske with the same barrel length and twist rate?

What ammo will you be using? How much shooting experience do you have?

Chrome lined barrels will be less accurate than non, so the SS LaRue will do a bit better than the other two. I'd say the LaRue is probably 1MOA, Noveske 1-1.5MOA, and the Colt is around 1.5-2MOA. This is based on what I've seen from similar barrels.

One MAJOR caveat - this is all with match ammo. Dump the match ammo in favor of, say, XM193 and they're all 2-3MOA rifles.

ronas
07-09-2009, 6:14 PM
Good points by all.

I currently have an old Colt Match Sporter HBAR. I'm seriously considering having a friend of mine from the gun club who has an FFL sell the Colt. My vision is not was it once was and it is becoming harder to shoot with the iron sights. I do not really want to get another upper for the Colt, I'd prefer to just buy another rifle.

I want to get an AR15 that I can easily mount an optic to. I'm mostly just a plinker these days so it's fun to see how well I can shoot from bench rest, sitting and standing position.

As for ammo all my rounds are reloads from my XL650. I reload 55g and 62g FMJBT in 223.

There are two complete rifles I'm considering now. A Colt 6940 and a Noveske Recon, it's a flatop with stainless steel barrel.

SubstanceP
07-09-2009, 6:25 PM

I can't comment on Colt. However, my LaRue is clearly more accurate than my Noveske. Using only Aimpoint red dots sights, I have repeatedly compared both at 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard distances with different ammo. The LaRue beats the Noveske every time. However, however, the LaRue has a CompM3 and the Noveske a CompM2. Maybe that's the difference?

Also, the LaRue is 1:8 twist.

aplinker
07-09-2009, 6:34 PM
I can't comment on Colt. However, my LaRue is clearly more accurate than my Noveske. Using only Aimpoint red dots sights, I have repeatedly compared both at 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard distances with different ammo. The LaRue beats the Noveske every time. However, however, the LaRue has a CompM3 and the Noveske a CompM2. Maybe that's the difference?

Also, the LaRue is 1:8 twist.

An Aimpoint isn't the way to judge accuracy of a rifle barrel.

It should be done with match ammo and a scope.

SubstanceP
07-09-2009, 6:39 PM
An Aimpoint isn't the way to judge accuracy of a rifle barrel.

It should be done with match ammo and a scope.

Yea. But, the only variable that is different between the two rifles is the red dot. And that's not much of a difference.

Same shooter. Same ammo (lot's of match). Several thousand rounds through each. The LaRue shoots the best groups every time out.

tiger222
07-09-2009, 7:18 PM
I can get sub-moa with special forces barrel hold, rapid fire one handed to 1000 yards.

When I wake up - I find that most of my modern military barrels do 2 moa, the grain of the bullet used having a greater effect on accuracy. And not necessarily twist dependant - also bbl length seems to affect the equation.

rabagley
07-09-2009, 7:29 PM
What is this "special forces barrel hold" that you mention? Google doesn't seem to help.

tiger222
07-09-2009, 7:45 PM
What is this "special forces barrel hold" that you mention? Google doesn't seem to help.

Well I was sworn to secrecy by this german sherpard, but I know he does not use the internet. You first need to know the Delta handshake, it's like the mall ninja one, but you use a real rusty nail vs. the plastic fork from Hot Dog on a Stick. Then you need a pair of tiger stripe skivvies and a pair of Ho Chi Minh sandals.

Take a deep breath and bite your dog tags, both at once, this slows your breath down.

Now with your left foot in a boot, jungle type 2 of course, your right needs to be bare and touching the the ground for greatest accuracy, to feel the earth's rotation, (I think it's a Native American thing), grab the sling tightly with your off hand and load the magazine, it has to be an Adventure line made, these are the most accurate, and with your shooting hand grasp...........

aplinker
07-09-2009, 7:46 PM

:rofl2:

Try this. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gullible)

NRAhighpowershooter
07-09-2009, 7:51 PM
In my Service Rifle AR and SpaceGun I have used Kreigers, Douglas, and Wilson/DPMS stainless steel barrels.. and I cant see a difference at 200 - 300yds and even out to 600yds the more expensive Kreiger only edges out the other 2 by only a point or 2 at best.......

-hanko
07-09-2009, 8:22 PM
Gecko45 was the inventor, sf copied his idea.

Re-read the first 4 words in the 2nd paragraph...it will become clear.

An 'F' in comprehension;)

-hanko

8200rpm
07-09-2009, 8:37 PM

LaRue DOES NOT MAKE a 1/7 twist barrel.

aplinker
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
In my Service Rifle AR and SpaceGun I have used Kreigers, Douglas, and Wilson/DPMS stainless steel barrels.. and I cant see a difference at 200 - 300yds and even out to 600yds the more expensive Kreiger only edges out the other 2 by only a point or 2 at best.......

I believe the OP is referring to CL barrels for the Noveske and certainly for the Colt, while the LaRue would be SS.

There are significant differences between SS and CL.

Between SS barrels done well, it's gonna be tough to tell.

rabagley
07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I sincerely apologize for not making my sarcasm clearer. I'll do better next time.

a1fabweld
07-10-2009, 5:43 AM
Oh, I thought the "special forces hold" was when you hold your rifle sideways with your arm fully extended, lean backwards, legs spread, & your other hand cupping your balls. At least that's the way the homies do it in the rap videos.

B Strong
07-10-2009, 6:14 AM
What ammo will you be using? How much shooting experience do you have?

Chrome lined barrels will be less accurate than non, so the SS LaRue will do a bit better than the other two. I'd say the LaRue is probably 1MOA, Noveske 1-1.5MOA, and the Colt is around 1.5-2MOA. This is based on what I've seen from similar barrels.

One MAJOR caveat - this is all with match ammo. Dump the match ammo in favor of, say, XM193 and they're all 2-3MOA rifles.

Bullseye on all points.

I can't say it often enough, there is a great difference between theoretical accuracy and practical accuracy.

What the rifle will do from a mechanical rest w/ match ammo under perfect conditions is one thing, and what we'll do in the wind and rain with issue ammo is another.

popeye4
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
My vision is not was it once was and it is becoming harder to shoot with the iron sights.

Check out the B. Jones sight inserts. They are really effective at sharpening up that front sight when your gun gets too short......

http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html