View Full Version : H&K SR9

07-09-2009, 1:40 PM
I've always been fond of the H&K G3 rifle, and recently noticed that the SR9 was a similar, CA legal, variant. My question is, would it be possible (or realistic) to buy all the parts to an SR9 and build (read: assemble) it myself?

I ask because 2-3 grand is quite a lot for me to plunk down all at once, and I'm willing to wait a couple years to amass the complete rifle.

Note: I don't really like the looks of the -t and -tc variants, as the "target" look is not what I'm after.

Any and all input is appreciated :).

EDIT: THIS (http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/sr9/sr9.htm) Is the look I'm going for.

07-09-2009, 1:51 PM
My vote is "not really". You can buy all the HK internals (which will cost well over a grand) then try to bend your own flat. . . but you can also try to assemble your own BMW in your garage as well. HK is what it is b/c of the tolerances and expertise of manufacture. (go build an AK in your garage that is feasible)

If HK is too expensive, have you looked at a PTR or other clone? You can always swap out whatever parts you need to get it to fire well.

I'm not sure what you save by buying it one part at a time. Plus if finances are key, I'd get the .223 version b/c .308 is too expensive to shoot anyway.

Barney Gumble
07-09-2009, 1:59 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't just get a PTR-91 and be done with it. They're arguably the best HK-91 clone out there. But if you're a glutton for punishment and like to buy all the parts separately, get a PTR-91 receiver from hkparts.net, collect all the parts, and have a professional builder put it together for you. I would join the hkpro forums too (hkpro.com).

07-09-2009, 3:11 PM
If cost is an issue, much cheaper to buy a completed PTR.
And if you are lucky you might come accross a CA ok HK for a PTR price!

07-09-2009, 3:13 PM
Can you buy the buffer system? I belive it's the same one used in the PSG-1