PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 "BULLET BUTTON"?

slick44
07-09-2009, 1:49 PM
Hello, I am new to this site and already my eyes are burning from reading for hours, I would like to ask the pros here if there is anything like the "Bullet Button" available for the RUGER Mini 14 to make a fixed magazine rifle. Any direction would be much appreciated...Thank You and I love this site. :)

Eroland7
07-09-2009, 1:53 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=115417

Here's one, im not sure that any of them have been mass produced or marketed yet. What are you going to do to your mini? pistol grip? flash hider?

shark92651
07-09-2009, 1:54 PM
I think you will find that the general consensus regarding what you are describing is that it is a ridiculous idea. The Mini 14 should just be shot the way it is - it seems silly to take a rifle that otherwise you can shoot with a detachable magazine and put a banned feature on it, and then a bullet button, just for the "cool" factor. If you want cool, build an AR and leave the Mini 14 alone. You also get the benefit of having a much more accurate rifle if you go the AR route as well.

slick44
07-09-2009, 2:08 PM
Thank You for your quick input, The reasoning behind this is I have had a nice pistol grip stock givin to me and thought it might be fun to be able to switch from one stock to another and still be legal, and yes I have had this rifle along with high capacity mags since '94 so I do enjoy shooting it as is. Not much of an AR fan since I would prefer to have an un-modified AR.

Farva
07-09-2009, 3:27 PM
the whole point of the mini is being able to use detachable mags and legal hi caps without dealing with all the garbage of BBs and the like.

i love my mini and and my 20 round preban mags.

Glock_XXI
07-09-2009, 4:57 PM
I agree with ^

Keep the Ruger as is, being able to drop free mags in CA is a good thing. IMO not worth adding a BB to switch to a different stock.

Sniper3142
07-09-2009, 5:04 PM
...I have had this rifle along with high capacity mags since '94 so I do enjoy shooting it as is. Not much of an AR fan since I would prefer to have an un-modified AR.

Too bad you didn't register it back in 1999 under SB23. If you had, you'd be able to put whatever you want on it.

;)

norcal-ar
07-09-2009, 5:05 PM
that and the fixed mag kit floating around makes it so you have to load it from the top. if they made a bullet button that was as user friendly a the one for the AR platform id say go for it. but to just add a pistol grip and have to top load it is just not worth it.

slick44
07-09-2009, 8:04 PM
I get all of your points, and I tend to agree, Thought I would throw it out there and see if any of you knew of something that was as simple to use as the Bullet Button for the mini 14, I do enjoy using the mini with pre ban mags as is, but I'm also not afraid to use a tool to switch mags either if it was easily converted back to stock, as I stated it would be just for fun, but as it seems there doesn't appear to be a simple type conversion for it, So I think I will decide to keep her as is. Thanks for all the advice and opinions...:)

X-NewYawker
07-09-2009, 8:26 PM
Remember, if you do this ridiculous conversion because of a nice stock, when it has the PG stock and BB you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PRE-BAN HI-CAPS at all. It is not a matter of if you have a bB you can use the same mags but "changed with a tool." No. You cannot put a 10+ mag in a gun with a pistol grip and a BB -- it must be a locked 10 round maximum mag. To go from 20 and 30 rounds to only 10 use the Pistol Grip stock is, well, ill advised. I hope you understand that you will not be able to use those hi-caps (repeated for emphasis)

From your posts it seems like you think you can BB a hi-cap mag. That would make your innocent Mini into and ASSAULT WEAPON

slick44
07-09-2009, 9:10 PM
I do understand and Thank You for making sure I was clear on that point, I was referring however to keeping the conversion together and switching stocks back and forth from original to pistol grip, using 10 round mags in the pistol grip only but also using the tool to swap large capacity mags only while using the original stock. It was a thought, if there was a simple to use BB type method for the mini 14 it might have been an option, but after reading about how "ridiculous" of an idea it was I'm sure I will stray away from it, unless I possibly machine my own device...:)

Flying Bones
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
You can machine a device for pennies...its around here somewhere.

norcal-ar
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
not sure how it would work cause i havent had a mini in a while. but you might be able to make something similar to an AK mag locking device which would be more user friendly. you may just try a jumbo panda lock for the hell of it or see if you can modify one to work with what you have. also i think it might be the solar tactical one but it had a 4 allen bolt set up that attaches to the trigger guard you might be able to make that work as well.

X-NewYawker
07-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I do understand and Thank You for making sure I was clear on that point, I was referring however to keeping the conversion together and switching stocks back and forth from original to pistol grip, using 10 round mags in the pistol grip only but also using the tool to swap large capacity mags only while using the original stock. It was a thought, if there was a simple to use BB type method for the mini 14 it might have been an option, but after reading about how "ridiculous" of an idea it was I'm sure I will stray away from it, unless I possibly machine my own device...:)

Not necessarily ridiculous -- I just want to know hat this pistol grip stock is that makes you want to undertake this -- pics?

chsk9
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
How about this- send your Mini up to Gun Doc (greatwestern gunsmithing) or accuracy systems for a tune up and buy a new 'standard' stock to have beeded while your at it?

slick44
07-10-2009, 6:13 AM
http://grecosinc.com/uploads/!BV(8I3gBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BKSM6I)GMQ~~_12.JPG

http://grecosinc.com/uploads/!BV(8Jkw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKSM6Mc)UQ~~_12.JPG

3GunFunShooter
07-10-2009, 6:21 AM
I think a folding stock on a centerfire rifle is not legal in CA.
With or without a bullet button.

slick44
07-10-2009, 7:01 AM
I thought that it might be, if the folder is illegal then the point is mute, I do have a Choate Pistol Grip Stock also but it is not worth the trouble even for fun. The original carbine stock is looking better and better as far as the Calif. restrictions will allow. It has been a real pleasure bouncing this idea off everyone else here, what a great forum, Thank You all..:)

tiger222
07-10-2009, 7:09 AM
It's not that a folding stock is illegal - you just have to make sure you are over 30" when it is folded. And unless a RAW, it would have to be BBd, or fixed open without a pistol grip or flash hider.

slick44
07-10-2009, 7:37 AM
I do have a Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor for it, I'll put it together and take a measurement when I get home tonight to see if it's over 30" when folded, I was following the flow chart but I had questions regarding if the added length of a muzzle brake/flash suppressor would count as overall length, you answered my question, Thank You.

X-NewYawker
07-10-2009, 8:04 AM
Just a last note. In this terrible state, and potentially into the country's future -- the real value of the Mini 14 is that without a flash suppressor or bullet button or pistol grip stock, for all the AR owners bashing of this incredibly reliable rifle, it is legal to use with your pre-ban hi-caps just as it is, and with it's carbine stock (and Hogue and others make better versions of it) it is NOT an assault weapon.

People are putting bullet buttons on ARs so they can own some sort of AR. The mini will fire t he same ammo and when the Crap Hits The Fan you will be happy you have one without a maglock or fixed mag or whatever on it.

If you want to add AR accessories like tactical lights and such you can get the SAGE SCAR space age (and CA legal) stock:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_6413.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Scarstock.jpg

philthy209
07-10-2009, 9:04 AM
brake/flash hider must be permanently attached in order for the added length to count.

Brutish
07-10-2009, 9:06 AM
I do understand and Thank You for making sure I was clear on that point, I was referring however to keeping the conversion together and switching stocks back and forth from original to pistol grip, using 10 round mags in the pistol grip only but also using the tool to swap large capacity mags only while using the original stock.

I don't think you are getting it. When there is a magazine locking device on the rifle (bullet button or otherwise) you can NOT USE 10+ ROUND MAGAZINES IN THE RIFLE!!! Doing so creates an assault weapon regardless of what other features are on the rifle. Please read Penal Code section 12276.1.

Brutish
07-10-2009, 9:07 AM
brake flash hider must be permanently attached in order for the added length to count.

No it doesn't. The permanent attach requirement is only for making the proper barrel length, not for making the overall length of the firearm to make the 30" CA requirement.

slick44
07-10-2009, 9:39 AM
Just a last note. In this terrible state, and potentially into the country's future -- the real value of the Mini 14 is that without a flash suppressor or bullet button or pistol grip stock, for all the AR owners bashing of this incredibly reliable rifle, it is legal to use with your pre-ban hi-caps just as it is, and with it's carbine stock (and Hogue and others make better versions of it) it is NOT an assault weapon.

People are putting bullet buttons on ARs so they can own some sort of AR. The mini will fire t he same ammo and when the Crap Hits The Fan you will be happy you have one without a maglock or fixed mag or whatever on it.

If you want to add AR accessories like tactical lights and such you can get the SAGE SCAR space age (and CA legal) stock:

Thank You X-NewYawker...Best advice yet, and you are all correct...I was looking to utilize this folder that was givin to me because I found it to be a nice looking folder for one, and I do a little bit of camping with the kids up here in Far-Northern Calif. Keeping it in a smaller compact legal form would be convient but as X-NewYawker stated and I agree with, I would rather keep it ready to to drop mags if ever needed. As far as "Brutis" states that "10 plus round magazines can not be used if there is a magazine locking device installed" and I am using my Ruger Mini 14 with stock configuration and preban 10-20-30 round magazines that is legal in Calif. what difference does it make if I have a magazine lock installed or not? And one last question...will an older model mini 14 wooden stock ('94) work on a newer model mini 14? (181 series)

Brutish
07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
As far as "Brutis" states that "10 plus round magazines can not be used if there is a magazine locking device installed" and I am using my Ruger Mini 14 with stock configuration and preban 10-20-30 round magazines that is legal in Calif. what difference does it make if I have a magazine lock installed or not?

Read PC 12276.1(a)(2) please. I told you to read it in my first post on the subject and you seemed to have ignored it. You would be creating an assault weapon if you put a 10+ round magazine into ANY semi-auto centerfire rifle with a bullet button or other magazine locking device on it.

slick44
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Could you please link me, I can not seem to find where to read it at. I will gratefully read through it...Thank You.

Brutish
07-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Could you please link me, I can not seem to find where to read it at. I will gratefully read through it...Thank You.

Here you go.

PC 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

You can find the entire section here. It is good reading and you should read it and understand it.
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12276.1.html

slick44
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Thank You Again "Brutish" I will, many Thanks...:)