PDA

View Full Version : Whats a respectable T-score?

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
What do you guys think? I got a 48,and I feel its not good enough. Am I being too hard on myself? Sould I take the entrance exam again.BTW I'm in the wonderful city of Stockton :o,if anyone is wondering.

embassy92
07-09-2009, 8:02 PM
thats allright, my first was a 46.8 and my second was 54.4.

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 8:14 PM
I just re-took the exam a couple weeks ago,and I'm waiting for the results.
I feel better about this last one,but will just have to wait and see.If I go a 50
even or a little above,I would be happy with that I guess.

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 8:19 PM
I talked to one guy who didn't have a clue at all. He said he was taking the exam again because he scored a 30.5. Well that made me feel a little better about my t-score. He could not believe I was taking the test again just to bump up my t-score.

Jonathan Doe
07-09-2009, 8:27 PM
I think you need minimum of 70%.

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 8:34 PM
No min. to get into academy is 42.0 or better. Its an average of 50 with a standard deviation of 10. Scores that fall around 50 are considered average,scores of 40 or less are considered below average. Any person scoring 60 or above is considered above average.

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 8:38 PM
I think the 70% is used for hiring,and a different test.

1911su16b870
07-09-2009, 8:46 PM
When I took the first general leo application test, I totally lucked out and got a T-Score of 63.7 which put me first on the list. But I think that is also dependent on the number and testing ability of the other folks you take the test with.

misplacedpants
07-09-2009, 9:01 PM
I had a sit-down with the post academy director where I will be attending,and he told me he has never turned anyone away that had a passing score. He told me that he will start orientation with about 90,and then end up with 60 in the academy. When I asked why he told me it just the way it goes. Most are not able to set aside the time it takes to follow through. 63.7 :hurray: nice...My basic skills where a little rough at the time of the test I think lol

KJGIL
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I got a 67, I was always under the impression it was just pass/fail.

misplacedpants
07-10-2009, 1:25 PM
Yes it is pass fail,with 42.0 being the cut off point. At least where I took the exam.

misplacedpants
07-11-2009, 2:25 PM
Just got my t-score letter back.I bump my score from a 48 to a 54.3,so I pretty happy with that. :)

1911su16b870
07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Congrats and good luck with the academy!

Start running now and make sure to ride along with each agency you are applying with!

Make sure you read the LD and do the example questions at the end of each learning domain section.

misplacedpants
07-12-2009, 3:52 PM
Thanks,I will keep that in mind. Oh and about the ride alongs I would like to take some now before the academy starts. The only problem is I do not know any officers,..so how would I go about asking or finding out? I have contacted the San Joaquin county Sheriffs department but to no avail.
Is it possible for a non-academy enrolled civilian to go on a ride along?

retired
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
I am surprised any agency would refuse a civilian ride along, but I guess policies differ. Try any of the agencies that are within a reasonable distance of your area.

If you get to the oral board, one of the questions that will be asked of you will be if you have gone on any ride alongs. The answer should be yes and it should be more than one.

You don't have to know a leo to go on a ride along as most depts. have a method for handling the procedure. You will have to sign a waiver due to the chance of injury or death to you while doing one tho, so be aware of that.

Good luck.

Fire in the Hole
07-13-2009, 5:21 AM
My old Dept. did not allow civilian ride alongs. I disagree with the policy on face value. But when one checks into things below the surface, you can sort of see the reason for it.

The reason is this for example: Recently a thread was begun in this forum entitled "Got pulled over for speeding-Two questions." It was a reasonable question, and answered appropriately. No problem there. Here's what happened several times that effected the policy: Citizen A gets a ticket from Officer 1, that he disagrees with. Citizen A requests a ride along with an Officer from that same Dept. Ride along granted. During the course of the ride along Citizen A engages Officer 2 (not the one who gave him the ticket) for lots of information on the tactics of traffic enforcement, radar useage, policy, and tries to get casual information going about Officer 1's experience, attitude, etc. Citizen A believes he has enough information to challenge the ticket in court. Citizen A goes to court and subpeonas Officer 2. Officer 1 is automatically subpeopead. After Officer 1 testifies, Citizen A calls Officer 2 to the stand in an attmpt to impeach the tactics and techniques used by Officer 1. Very messy. Judges hate this kind of crap. Officers hate it. And the Dept. especially hates it. And it happened enough that the Dept. states, "So if this is how the citizenry wants to play; all ride alongs are denied by policy, unless you are a Judge, DA, LEO, Press, or a cadet-elect from an allied agency with a future academy date already set."

scr83jp
07-13-2009, 6:56 AM
My old Dept. did not allow civilian ride alongs. I disagree with the policy on face value. But when one checks into things below the surface, you can sort of see the reason for it.

The reason is this for example: Recently a thread was begun in this forum entitled "Got pulled over for speeding-Two questions." It was a reasonable question, and answered appropriately. No problem there. Here's what happened several times that effected the policy: Citizen A gets a ticket from Officer 1, that he disagrees with. Citizen A requests a ride along with an Officer from that same Dept. Ride along granted. During the course of the ride along Citizen A engages Officer 2 (not the one who gave him the ticket) for lots of information on the tactics of traffic enforcement, radar useage, policy, and tries to get casual information going about Officer 1's experience, attitude, etc. Citizen A believes he has enough information to challenge the ticket in court. Citizen A goes to court and subpeonas Officer 2. Officer 1 is automatically subpeopead. After Officer 1 testifies, Citizen A calls Officer 2 to the stand in an attmpt to impeach the tactics and techniques used by Officer 1. Very messy. Judges hate this kind of crap. Officers hate it. And the Dept. especially hates it. And it happened enough that the Dept. states, "So if this is how the citizenry wants to play; all ride alongs are denied by policy, unless you are a Judge, DA, LEO, Press, or a cadet-elect from an allied agency with a future academy date already set."Brain Picking happened too many times when someone identified me or w/o thinking I mentioned that I was a deputy probation officer they always started with "I have this friend who has an officer can they do this or that or require him or her to do?"I cut them off telling them I'm not giving you any info to get a twist on any officer.To cut the inquiries off when someone from the public asked me where I worked and what I did I told them I worked in the sanitation dept collecting garbage for disposal! Never got anymore inquiries.

1911su16b870
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Many PDs are in existence, call around and explain you are entering the academy and ask if they would allow you to ride along.

misplacedpants
07-13-2009, 7:15 PM
I would like to get in on a ride along a couple times to get to know the job inside and out. The only other time I have been in a police cruiser was in a parade,and that was in grade school so I don't think that counts. My uncle's wife is a Sac County Deputy,and she has talked to some friends about finding volunteer work at the academy for me to do. She said they are always looking for people to help with the role-playing scenarios. She thought it would give me a better idea of Academy life,and a chance network for the future.

Fire in the Hole
07-13-2009, 7:18 PM
]I would like to get in on a ride along a couple times to get to know the job inside and out[/B]. The only other time I have been in a police cruiser was in a parade,and that was in grade school so I don't think that counts. My uncle's wife is a Sac County Deputy,and she has talked to some friends about finding volunteer work at the academy for me to do. She said they are always looking for people to help with the role-playing scenarios. She thought it would give me a better idea of Academy life,and a chance network for the future.

Well good luck with that part. It took me about 10 years to be able to say that.

misplacedpants
07-13-2009, 7:34 PM
OK...poor choice of words. :o I just meant that I would like to get know parts of the job that can't be seen from the outside. Most people including myself have no idea what it is like to be a police officer. So If I can just get to know just a shred of what its like,I will be the better for it. Sorry about that....:)

Fire in the Hole
07-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey, it's all good guy. Good luck to you.

leitung
07-18-2009, 1:18 PM
I got a 51,
I know some people who got a 60 +

1911_sfca
07-20-2009, 1:08 PM
I got a T-score of 70. Minimum "respectable" score is whatever the agency/academy you're after will accept!