PDA

View Full Version : YHM Phantom comp

yellowfin
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Is anyone here using the YHM 556 Phantom QD comp? If so how do you like it? I'm thinking this will be the best one for me to use on my AR build I'm working on. I gather some issues with comps are noise, side blast, and recoil management and I'm wondering how it does. I'm wanting a good comp––not flash hider–– that'll accept a can and that one seems to be one of the few options I have. Any thoughts?

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-5M2-QD.jpg

OutbreakPLZ
07-09-2009, 3:38 PM
+1
i want to know as well.

yellowfin
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Hmm...no one. OK, how about the AAC 51T also/instead?

http://www.advancedarmament.com/repository/product/mb-01.jpg

DanHuuN
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Does the comp really help? Honestly? 5.56 doesn't have a lot of recoil to begin with. I've shot 5.56 builds without a comp/hider, with a comp, with a flash hider...no noticeable change in recoil IMO. Definitely in flash and sound but not recoil. I op'd to go with the AAC Blackout...but that is my opinion.

Try out the Surefire Comps as well...

+1 in the AAC 51T

WeekendWarrior
07-10-2009, 2:39 PM
+1 AAC Blackout, forget a comp with 556 unless you are going for featureless.

IMC87
07-10-2009, 3:31 PM
so if i'm reading your question correctly, you want this so that you may be able to screw on a fake can right over this?? If so that would be AWESOME! lol

yellowfin
07-11-2009, 4:24 AM
so if i'm reading your question correctly, you want this so that you may be able to screw on a fake can right over this?? If so that would be AWESOME! lolNope, real can in other states. I think fake cans are stupid and pointless and will never put useless crap like that on any firearm I own or use.

As to why not a FH, it's to make it not an evil feature. With NYS laws, which I'm working under right now, you can have a pistol grip and detachable mag with no other additional evil features--most notably a FH or threaded BARREL. You either get a plain barrel or a comp. A comp that is threaded or lugged that can take a can is perfectly fine, so that's what I'm going with so I can put a can on it when I'm not in NY.

joelukehart
07-12-2009, 1:47 AM
If you are moving to another C3 friendly state I think it boils down to which sound suppresssor you want. They are not a simple one day cash and carry (BATF approval, CLEO signoff, $200 tax stamp.)

yellowfin
07-14-2009, 8:40 AM
True enough, and it's something I'm working on with relatives to have cans in a nearby state so I can simply use them when I'm there. Also there's demo days and carbine courses where I may be able to borrow one from someone else for the day. Pretty much between AAC and YHM I'd have it covered for the most frequently encountered cans by market share. I could go on and on with SWR, Gemtech, Surefire, etc. etc. etc. but it seems like to have say a KAC or SWR brake I'd be trading one of two that cover say 30-40% of the market which combined with the other would give me 60-70%.

joelukehart
07-15-2009, 12:30 AM
What about buying all of them? Also, some of them are 1/2 28 thread mount and some mount on the standard A2 flash hider. You would pretty much have all the bases covered. When you do use the suppressors please take pics and give us a report.