PDA

View Full Version : Did she go to jail...

Superfly
07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
My wife and sister drove to LA Tuesday in my mint 1994 911s, on the way home a van side swiped her and kept going. Then began the chase, my sister in law got the plate # and called 911. The woman wouldn't stop, she just waved her hand to say go away. They came to a stop in traffic and my wife told her to pull over and she just shook her head no. My wife then told her that they call the police and she just kept driving. After another two exits she pulled over. She was around 30 and had a 12 year old with her and she translated for her. First she said it was my wife's fault, then she said let her go and she will pay for the repairs, yeah right. The CHP showed up. She didn't have a drivers lic and the insurance info she gave us and the CHP was false. I just found out that she wasn't insured at all.
I know I'm out $ and will never collect, but did she get arrested for no drivers lic., no insurance or hit and run
How would I find out.
I'm sure this happens all the time but my car didn't have a scratch before this and I'm pissed
If she did go to jail I hope she is still there or moved to another country.

J_B
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Call local CHP office??

And yes, you have every right to be pissed. This is my pet peeve...people who drive without licenses and insurance and then whine when they get tickets etc.

PatriotnMore
07-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Jesus, let alone the crap of the gal having no lic, reg, insurance, or English speaking to have conversation, she should have been arrested on hit and run, no?
On top of that a 911, which a huge part of it's value is it's condition, and anyone who's got the money to buy, will not give you what it's really worth once it's been in an accident, unless they actually replace the parts with OE, not just fix it. I hope your insurance is the good type, which will take it to a quality place and repair it properly. Sorry brother.

emilio
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
wow... aside from the fear of legal trouble for no license (in which case why get on the road?!), wtf possesses people to think that hitting another car is no big deal and not worth stopping for? even if you don't give a crap about the safety of other people, your own car could be damaged and unsafe to drive. i guess intelligence and crime are difficult to correlate.

dunno about jail, wouldn't she have to be an active risk for that? like if she was intoxicated or violent, or had an existing warrant. otherwise she was probably arrested & processed, and then maybe only held if you wanted to press charges and bail was named that she couldn't pay. i suppose your only recourse would be to sue her for damages and insurance costs. did you get a CHP officer's card, or did you get some kind of accident report reference number? that'd be how to find out.

all that aside: that sucks, dude! mint Porsches are a beautiful thing - hope it isn't too bad to fix. at least be glad that it wasn't worse.
- emilio

sorensen440
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
no uninsured motorist coverage ?

It has saved my but before and is only a buck a month added to my policy

barrym66
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
........ She didn't have a drivers lic and the insurance info she gave us and the CHP was false. I just found out that she wasn't insured at all.
No surprise there.

.........I know I'm out $ and will never collect, but did she get arrested for no drivers lic., no insurance or hit and run.
Probably not. Maybe a citation but you think she'll do anything about it?

..........How would I find out. Call the agency that took the accident report and request a copy, have the case or report #.

..........I'm sure this happens all the time but my car didn't have a scratch before this and I'm pissed Yep and sorry - BTDT, I can sympathize!

..........If she did go to jail I hope she is still there or moved to another country.

Been there...in LA, about 20 years ago, at the 60/10 SB merge, got sideswiped and pushed into the center divider (at 60+ MPH) by a small cabover refrigerated van/truck. Severely damaged both sides of the car (2 mo. new 535i). The truck, with a flat left front, hobbled on (ripping off my front bumper) and drove away but was chased down by a witness to the accident.

Mexican illegals, so no insurance, no registration, no DL. Cops cited them for a bunch of things, but did not tow the van away or arrest anyone. I later sued the last known registered owner of the truck (El Monte area meat/butcher) in small claims court for my $500 deductible and and unreimbursed costs (rental car, etc - took 1 month to get my car fixed) and won a $1,500 judgement (he never showed up in court).

But was still never able to collect either...it was a sham/illegal business ...:(

Write it off as bad luck and part of living in Mexifornia.

Lyte-
07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
they will not arrest her, I have been in that position many times they never arrest them....

Superfly
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
yes, I had uninsured, but the fact is my rates are going to go up and I'm out a car for the length of repairs. It will now show as been hit and I know that my insurance won't pay to have porsche factory repair it.
I am thankful, it could have been real bad considering the size difference.
I am also thankful I wasn't there. I kept asking my wife where she was and she wouldn't tell me. Smart kid she is.

Captain Evilstomper
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
everything about this story pisses me off. i mean it has everything, illegal aliens, shoddy driving, a car chase, a Porsche getting wrecked, a car that should have been towed and a woman arrested.

edgekidxxx
07-09-2009, 1:00 PM
Wow, that is terrible I hope you find out more about this. I hope she was arrested. There's a list of things in there that throw up a red flag for me that should have her arrested in my mind.

Boo_Radley
07-09-2009, 1:26 PM
I thought I recalled hit & run with injury was an automatic felony. If one of the ladies in your Porsche had sore neck after the collision, wouldn't that be an arrestable offense?

moreno
07-09-2009, 1:32 PM
If she left the scene of the accident yes she may be in Jail.
I once had an accident and had no proof of insurance on hand and I didn't get in trouble because I stopped and waited for the PD to get there .

The Girl who hit me asked the cop to arrest me and he laughed and said its a civil matter not criminal because I stopped . I left laughing at this girl who hit me , my car was not badly damaged so what ever , I hope she picked up her bumper off the street .

geeknow
07-09-2009, 2:09 PM
[QUOTE=Superfly;2746543]
I know I'm out $ and will never collect, but did she get arrested for no drivers lic., no insurance or hit and run
How would I find out.
QUOTE]

Nope, unless there is an injury at the scene, its all paperwork. I know you are po'd...and rightfully so. want to know whats even worse? watching the 'perp' drive away without a care or consequence. why should they? they aint paying for it...:mad:

hopefully you have uninsured motorist. at least you have a report...that way, there is no dispute as to whether she was insured. usually, that will waive your deductible.

its a strange feeling really. you expect people to behave as you would, expensive insurance coverage and all. then, when they dont, you find that the only one who looks out for you, really is you. This, despite your agents assurance, your hefty premiums, and so forth. Its kind of like getting kicked in the jimmy....but only hitting one of the twins. are you lucky?

sv_1
07-09-2009, 2:27 PM
It's pretty amazing what a few turns of a valve stem removal tool will do ;) They'll at least scratch their heads for a while... and maybe realize that Karma really is a female dog.

Eckolaker
07-09-2009, 2:33 PM
Dollars to donuts says she got let go...Most likely illegal and there is an unspoken rule to let them go.

Blue
07-09-2009, 2:36 PM
An illegal in a GMC 4x4 2500 once drove over the front of my brothers 5.0 Mustang and tried to flee the scene but the radiator blew and the transmission pumped all of its fluid out and the truck quit driving like 75 feet away from the crash. Cops didn't do anything about it.

Steyrlp10
07-09-2009, 3:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. That truly sucks!

My husband was in a similar situation, but here in the Bay Area. He's on the way to the PD in our private truck and is about to exist 780 to enter 80. Out of nowhere, a crazed woman cuts him off and nearly takes off the front end of the truck.

Well, my guy lays on the horn, trying not to pancake her. He brakes in time not to rearend her. Seconds later, they're alongside him, and the female passenger (two crazy chicks together!) lobs a can of soda onto his windshield.

To make it short, my guy calls in the CHPies (after telling the dispatcher to get her damn supervisor on the line); they blue light those b*****s, find out the driver has outstanding warrants, no insurance either, expired tags, arrest her butt, and tow the car. The passenger had to hike it in the middle of No Man's Land.

Karma -- what goes around, comes around.

Best of luck to you... scumbags are like roaches and need a good dose of Raid.

eltee
07-09-2009, 3:17 PM
Did you get a case (incident) number from the CHP? If so, you can easily get a copy of the report (takes a few days). If you did not get a case #, you can usually get a copy of the report if you can provide the date, time, location and (if you have it) the name or # of the responding officer.

You should investigate the possibility of recovering some money, and if you file a claim for uninsured motorist coverage your insurance company will do so as well. Just because a person is illegal, has no CDL, no insurance, etc. doesn't always mean they are without assets or resources. Some own vehicles, property, businesses or other assets.

Does CHP practice a "sanctuary" policy? Out here, many local PDs are under edict to not report illegals (and it is an assumption here that the other driver fits into that category...but everything sure points to it) to federal authorities. Never asked a CHiP if they do or not.

Thankfully, it was only metal and paint damage, your wife and sister were uninjured.

tyrist
07-09-2009, 3:20 PM
My wife and sister drove to LA Tuesday in my mint 1994 911s, on the way home a van side swiped her and kept going. Then began the chase, my sister in law got the plate # and called 911. The woman wouldn't stop, she just waved her hand to say go away. They came to a stop in traffic and my wife told her to pull over and she just shook her head no. My wife then told her that they call the police and she just kept driving. After another two exits she pulled over. She was around 30 and had a 12 year old with her and she translated for her. First she said it was my wife's fault, then she said let her go and she will pay for the repairs, yeah right. The CHP showed up. She didn't have a drivers lic and the insurance info she gave us and the CHP was false. I just found out that she wasn't insured at all.
How would I find out.
I'm sure this happens all the time but my car didn't have a scratch before this and I'm pissed

Unlikely she was arrested since it's a misdemeanor not in an Officer presence so somebody else would have to be the arresting party. The District attorney will need to file charges later if at all. Was she cited for 12500(a) VC no valid drivers license and was the vehicle impounded? Also the hit and run is only a valid arrest if the person fleeing the scene actually knew they hit you.

Unless your wife signed a private persons arrest form it's unlikely the suspect was arrested that day. If anything she will be notified to show up in traffic court at a later time.

emilio
07-09-2009, 3:26 PM
he never said she was an illegal immigrant. heck, there are natural-born folks that don't know English! (i bet there are a few out in the Deep South that sound like they're not even speaking English...)

plus, it's not like immigrants are the only ones that drive without licenses and commit hit-and-runs. people lose their licenses all the time: expiration, DUIs, excessive violations, etc.
- emilio

Z ME FLY
07-09-2009, 4:19 PM
Man... I am glad at least they are safe, could have turned out a lot worse. I hope those people PAY!! even if they have no money I wish you take them for something. I hate it when people try to drive away from an accident. I remember when someone RAN A RED LIGHT and hit me, I had to hop out my car and JUMP ON THE HOOD OF THE CAR because it was trying to drive away. Imagine someone hanging on the hood and pounding on it so the car would stop.

tyrist
07-09-2009, 4:55 PM
Man... I am glad at least they are safe, could have turned out a lot worse. I hope those people PAY!! even if they have no money I wish you take them for something. I hate it when people try to drive away from an accident. I remember when someone RAN A RED LIGHT and hit me, I had to hop out my car and JUMP ON THE HOOD OF THE CAR because it was trying to drive away. Imagine someone hanging on the hood and pounding on it so the car would stop.

So damage to the car was worth risking your life?

Most people who flee a traffic accident fall under one of these...no drivers license....drunk....just committed a crime (stolen vehicle, robbery, drive by etc). Following and worse yet confronting them is not a good idea. Get a description of the car plate number and try to get a good look at the driver.

nick
07-09-2009, 5:18 PM
If she's an illegal and says to the judge that she can't pay, he'll just let her go. Remember back when they were pushing for that bill about mandatory car insurance, they said that the person who doesn't have insurance would be automatically at fault in an accident, that people driving without insurance will be severely punished, etc. Well, who could've thought that politicians would lie... JUst think the next time you vote for mandatory this or that. How about mandatory health insurance? :)

kcs1211
07-09-2009, 5:41 PM
I was hit by an illegal a few years back in my p.o.s.

He tried to take off, but I cut in front of him and a nearby semi did the same.
I called the cops, they put him in cuffs and took him away.

No d.l, no registration, no insurance. I got screwed, but I really enjoyed watching him go away in the cop car. I like to think they shipped him back to where he came from, but I doubt it.

Z ME FLY
07-09-2009, 5:55 PM
So damage to the car was worth risking your life?

Most people who flee a traffic accident fall under one of these...no drivers license....drunk....just committed a crime (stolen vehicle, robbery, drive by etc). Following and worse yet confronting them is not a good idea. Get a description of the car plate number and try to get a good look at the driver.

$15K damage to my car.. I wasn't going to have someone drive off on me. It was at night so it was hard to see the plates and my car's axel was bent so i couldn't even drive to follow the person. But that was when I was younger and crazier.

Superfly
07-09-2009, 5:57 PM
here's the update,
I get a report in 12 weeks due to back log. The cost, $23.00
I don't care if she's from the moon she should go to jail.
Hit and run, no DL, no insurance, the van is registered to her husband, guess what, he has no insurance, in fact his phone is disconnected.
This is going to dog me me for 3 months a least...This isn't my first rodeo.
I say send her back to the moon.
I forgot to thank Tyrist for the advise, I'm going to tell my wife that it could have been a bad guy fleeing with a gun. She should just get ID and leave the rest to the pro's
easy for me to say.

retired
07-09-2009, 7:03 PM
he never said she was an illegal immigrant. heck, there are natural-born folks that don't know English! (i bet there are a few out in the Deep South that sound like they're not even speaking English...)

plus, it's not like immigrants are the only ones that drive without licenses and commit hit-and-runs. people lose their licenses all the time: expiration, DUIs, excessive violations, etc.
- emilio

This is an excellent post. The OP wanted to know if the other driver went to jail, period. Speculation about her being an illegal doesn't answer the question and these statements are not necessary, so no more posts in that vein.

nick
07-09-2009, 7:29 PM
This is an excellent post. The OP wanted to know if the other driver went to jail, period. Speculation about her being an illegal doesn't answer the question and these statements are not necessary, so no more posts in that vein.

WHo died and made you a mod? Oh wait... :43:

Just remember, I voted for you :p

Fire in the Hole
07-09-2009, 7:36 PM
I think I'll just sit back and watch this one play out. Very enlightening I must say, learning a lot.

SoCalDep
07-09-2009, 8:04 PM
Hate to inform you of this, and I'm not sure I fully agree, but the same foundation of freedom that we all use to protect our second amendment rights is what prevents most cops from asking for "papers please" (in my best German accent). While we can argue the finer points, the fact is that we operate in a world where things don't make sense. Beware what you ask for because you just might get it.

sgtbuck
07-09-2009, 8:23 PM
Out of respect for retired I will not comment. All I will say is I worked in North East San Diego County.... Oh and always have uninsured motorist if you live in So Cal...

Captain Evilstomper
07-09-2009, 8:36 PM
i guess it was an unknown assumption that someone who doesn't speak english is a illegal immigrant, not always the case but typical

alex00
07-09-2009, 9:38 PM
Back when I was in patrol unlicensed drivers were my pet peeve. I was one of the few in my District that didn't play catch and release. Superfly and other's examples are my main reason for hammering unlilcensed drivers. Nearly all the people I stopped that didn't have a license were uninsured. When they complained about me citing and towing them, I would ask who would pay for the damage if they hit me on my way to work. Most people at least pretended to understand when presented like that.

Sorry about your car. Not much stings worse than someone else ruining your well cared for car.

trashman
07-09-2009, 9:54 PM
I was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight in San Francisco a few years ago. Turns out the driver did not speak any english, and so the SFPD showed up, discovered that the guy was driving a friend's car, with no insurance or DL, and likely an illegal alien (IIRC he admitted as much). They took him away in cuffs.

Secondarily, the insurance company went after the owners of the car (who *did* have insurance) and recovered the costs.

--Neill

biglou
07-10-2009, 7:03 AM
Report the accident to DMV. DMV will send a notice to the registered owner of the van to provide proof of insurance or his license will be suspended. This person should have been arrested, vehicle towed, etc.

gunn
07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Q: Hrm. I was under the impression that underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage was a requirement in CA.

Either way, from what I understand from my wife (who got hit on the bay bridge a few years ago), if you don't have a positive ID (plate #), you aren't eiligible (at least under her company's policy) for UIM/UM coverage.

-g

oddjob
07-10-2009, 1:08 PM
I was hit on my motorcycle by an uninsured driver. This is what i did.

Found out where she worked (don't care if she was flipping burgers or not).

Found out where she lived.

Sued her in small claims court. I won my case and she paid $50.00 a month for 12 months.

Years later she got remarried and tried to buy a house with her new husband. I delayed on signing off that I was paid in full for a little pay back revenge. After weeks and a bunch of phone calls I decided it was enough and signed off that she paid in full.

sgtbuck
07-10-2009, 2:22 PM
Q: Hrm. I was under the impression that underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage was a requirement in CA.

Either way, from what I understand from my wife (who got hit on the bay bridge a few years ago), if you don't have a positive ID (plate #), you aren't eiligible (at least under her company's policy) for UIM/UM coverage.

-g

I belive only liability insurance is required. Unless they changed it?

retired
07-11-2009, 10:24 PM
WHo died and made you a mod? Oh wait... :43:

Just remember, I voted for you :p

Turn around and remember, I am watching you.:p;)

CSACANNONEER
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
My first car was totalled by an uninsured driver. He had kids with him and told me he was not allowed to have them so he needed to leave. He gave me a real name and nothing else! When we called the police, they said there was nothing they could do since he identified himself before he left. So at 17 I was left with a totalled car, no money and a valuable lesson learned.

Ditch
07-12-2009, 3:53 PM
I was heading west on I-8 a few months ago, and driving in the #2 lane running @ 70 in rush hour traffic in the am, got side swiped from a small white car in the #1 lane going I would say at least 80mph, I am in a Truck, and it turned me around heading for the concrete median....I went through 1 1/2 lanes to get control.....and there is no way I could get a plate # I was to busy saving my *****....it happens fast, and I am sure a insured person would have pulled over? But I guess this ***** had no insurance.

How do people get a Drivers License with out insurance? I know I can't.

Fire in the Hole
07-12-2009, 4:01 PM
You can get a driver's license without insurance, because your insurance attaches to your car, not your license. Let's say you live in a place with excellent mass transit, and don't need to own a car, but occasionally fly out of town on business and rent a car. You need your license for this. Also, let's say you have a license, and your parents buy you a car. You wreck the car. Your parents tell you, "Sorry, Charlie, you buy the next one yourself." So you do like my 23 year old son is doing, working minimal wage since 20, to save up to buy himself a car. He's been taking the bus or walking for 3 years now, but he still has a license.

Ditch
07-12-2009, 4:44 PM
You can get a driver's license without insurance, because your insurance attaches to your car, not your license. Let's say you live in a place with excellent mass transit, and don't need to own a car, but occasionally fly out of town on business and rent a car. You need your license for this. Also, let's say you have a license, and your parents buy you a car. You wreck the car. Your parents tell you, "Sorry, Charlie, you buy the next one yourself." So you do like my 23 year old son is doing, working minimal wage since 20, to save up to buy himself a car. He's been taking the bus or walking for 3 years now, but he still has a license.

Makes sense on what you stated! BUT I want to know how can people drive a car with a License and get it registered with out insurance?

It should never be allowed to happen

Ditch
07-12-2009, 4:51 PM
Are you looking it up?...lol:)

Fire in the Hole
07-12-2009, 4:52 PM
Makes sense on what you stated! BUT I want to know how can people drive a car with a License and get it registered with out insurance?

It should never be allowed to happen

Because it's a scam man! Don't ya know? You go to some fly by night cheapo insurance. Buy a 90 day policy. Write the agent a check. Go right over to the DMV, show your newly acquired proof of insurance, from 30 minutes ago. Pay the DMV in cash for your registration fees. Get the current decal, and matching paperwork. Then go to your bank, place a stop payment on the check, and drive for 365 days without insurance. Of course you have to do this every year to stay on top of it, but some people have alot of time on their hands. And since insurance company computers and DMV computers are not linked to each other, and since a private company does not want to allow a government access to their data base, these scammers get away with it everyday.

nosmatt
07-12-2009, 5:06 PM
no LEO's in this thread?

no license in cali, your car will be impounded for 30 days, and you will pay the tow, the 25-40 bucks a day storage, and the release from the impound lot (contracted tow yards).
no insurance, and a collision in cali, automatic 1 year suspension of your driving privlage. you must go to court to get restricted license.

hit and run, well that i do not know, it is notin my line of work, but i cannot imagine that the person the OP is posting about drove away in that vehicle! she was walkin!
i also doubt seriously she was arrested, unless she had a warrant... hell, even if she was illegal i doubt she was arrested.

anyway, as to the damage to your car, this is where you find out if it was a GOOD idea switching to "XXX" insurace to save some cash.

i wish you well. be glad aftermarket parts companies do not make crash parts for your vehicle, save for a couple of minor things.

Fire in the Hole
07-12-2009, 5:11 PM
no LEO's in this thread?

no license in cali, your car will be impounded for 30 days, and you will pay the tow, the 25-40 bucks a day storage, and the release from the impound lot (contracted tow yards).
no insurance, and a collision in cali, automatic 1 year suspension of your driving privlage. you must go to court to get restricted license.

hit and run, well that i do not know, it is notin my line of work, but i cannot imagine that the person the OP is posting about drove away in that vehicle! she was walkin!
i also doubt seriously she was arrested, unless she had a warrant... hell, even if she was illegal i doubt she was arrested.

anyway, as to the damage to your car, this is where you find out if it was a GOOD idea switching to "XXX" insurace to save some cash.

i wish you well. be glad aftermarket parts companies do not make crash parts for your vehicle, save for a couple of minor things.

And this is precisely why people hit and run. They may have outstanding warrants, no license, no insurance, etc. It's not in their best personal interest to stop and wait for LE to show up. They have everything to loose, and nothing to gain; so they just keep on going.

Ditch
07-12-2009, 5:17 PM
Because it's a scam man! Don't ya know? You go to some fly by night cheapo insurance. Buy a 90 day policy. Write the agent a check. Go right over to the DMV, show your newly acquired proof of insurance, from 30 minutes ago. Pay the DMV in cash for your registration fees. Get the current decal, and matching paperwork. Then go to your bank, place a stop payment on the check, and drive for 365 days without insurance. Of course you have to do this every year to stay on top of it, but some people have alot of time on their hands. And since insurance company computers and DMV computers are not linked to each other, and since a private company does not want to allow a government access to their data base, these scammers get away with it everyday.

I know its a scam...lets stop it! But how? and buy the way how do these people that don't speak English now all this stuff?

I sure don't know how to break the LAW in a legal manner.....it's bs you and I know it!

Fire in the Hole
07-12-2009, 5:30 PM
I know its a scam...lets stop it! But how?

Insurance fraud is one of the most under reported crimes in this country, and it costs all of us millions. It's also one of the hardest to investigate. I apprenticed in the Insurance Fraud Bureau for 9 months. I wasn't a computer guru, so I had an experienced investigator showing me the ropes. Here's the thing. When an insurance company reports to LE that they have been the victim of a string of frauds, and want it investigated, LE has to go to their regional corporate office. LE needs one of the higher ups with all the passwords on all customer data bases, money received, money paid out, claimes. It takes pain staking hours of at least 3 weeks to investigate, find a common thread, verify which agent or which office is writing the most bad policies, which group of customers submit the most claims of a certain dollar amount, etc., then home in on it. Insurance companies are not thrilled with LE having absolute access to all their files, nor to having one of their managers tired up with LE as well. Additionally, there is a serious PR and negative consumer confidence issue for their profit margin, when word leaks out that they are loosing a lot a money due to fraud. This is why insurance companies have their own fraud investigators, and deal with the matter civilly without involving LE, dealing with the DA, having to go to court for criminal prosectuion etc. They absorb a lot of loss in the process. Loss that is passed onto you and me.

Ditch
07-12-2009, 6:04 PM
Insurance fraud is one of the most under reported crimes in this country, and it costs all of us millions. It's also one of the hardest to investigate. I apprenticed in the Insurance Fraud Bureau for 9 months. I wasn't a computer guru, so I had an experienced investigator showing me the ropes. Here's the thing. When an insurance company reports to LE that they have been the victim of a string of frauds, and want it investigated, LE has to go to their regional corporate office. LE needs one of the higher ups with all the passwords on all customer data bases, money received, money paid out, claimes. It takes pain staking hours of at least 3 weeks to investigate, find a common thread, verify which agent or which office is writing the most bad policies, which group of customers submit the most claims of a certain dollar amount, etc., then home in on it. Insurance companies are not thrilled with LE having absolute access to all their files, nor to having one of their managers tired up with LE as well. Additionally, there is a serious PR and negative consumer confidence issue for their profit margin, when word leaks out that they are loosing a lot a money due to fraud. This is why insurance companies have their own fraud investigators, and deal with the matter civilly without involving LE, dealing with the DA, having to go to court for criminal prosectuion etc. They absorb a lot of loss in the process. Loss that is passed onto you and me.

I want to Thank you for your response....It's hell out there huh?

I at times just want to go live in the outback of the USA and forget about it all....I just might do that in 3 years?

:)

TooManyHobbies
07-14-2009, 2:52 PM
How would I find out.

This (similar) happened to me in Beverly Hills. Driving down the road, illegal alien, no license or insurance, car register to who knows who sideswiped us, since he's looking at his phone for an address.

Guy gets out of his car, and smells of beer, ten am, Sunday morning. I called the police. Police call back and ask if anyone was hurt, and I said no. Nobody shows up. I called back again, and finally got an officer to respond.

The officer let the guy call his "wife" to get a driver's license #, which the officer accepted without ANY issue. Cop REFUSED to do anything about it.. Why? Well.. it was a hispanic cop, he took the man aside, and both spoke in SPANISH. I was the passenger so I couldn't press the issue. Needless to say, info was false, insurance was for another person, etc.

Welcome to California.

mala in se
07-14-2009, 4:15 PM
yes, I had uninsured, but the fact is my rates are going to go up and I'm out a car for the length of repairs. It will now show as been hit and I know that my insurance won't pay to have porsche factory repair it.
I am thankful, it could have been real bad considering the size difference.
I am also thankful I wasn't there. I kept asking my wife where she was and she wouldn't tell me. Smart kid she is.

i'm a claim adjuster and i can tell you that i have handled several claims w/ uninsured immigrant drivers. basically, there is nothing you can do to collect unless you file in small claims or litigate for damages more than $7500. Of course the claimant would have to be served, and you would need an adress. i know our subrogation department tries to get money back from uninsured motorist directly (collection agency, garnishing checks), but if the person isn't even a citizen it's very hard to do so.

if you had collision coverage your deductible should have been waived. otherwise, if you had uninsured motorist collision, you could use that, which isn't much (my company caps at $3500).

anyway, get in touch w/ your agent to verify if your premiums will actually go up. insurance companies use an ISO system that usually determines liability in CA (pure comparative negligence state). usually that coding will determine fault, and if your wife was found to 0% at fault, your premiums shouldn't go up.

talk to your agent as some policy have different wording an can affect the outcome.

also, LEO don't do much when it comes to being uninsured or even being an illegal immigrant in an auto accident. all the police reports i review always has them letting them go unless it was aggravated (hit & run, DUI).

mala in se
07-14-2009, 4:20 PM
This (similar) happened to me in Beverly Hills. Driving down the road, illegal alien, no license or insurance, car register to who knows who sideswiped us, since he's looking at his phone for an address.

Guy gets out of his car, and smells of beer, ten am, Sunday morning. I called the police. Police call back and ask if anyone was hurt, and I said no. Nobody shows up. I called back again, and finally got an officer to respond.

The officer let the guy call his "wife" to get a driver's license #, which the officer accepted without ANY issue. Cop REFUSED to do anything about it.. Why? Well.. it was a hispanic cop, he took the man aside, and both spoke in SPANISH. I was the passenger so I couldn't press the issue. Needless to say, info was false, insurance was for another person, etc.

Welcome to California.

LEO will not come to an accident scene unless there are injuries or if you request a collision report (because liability is an issue). most of the time there are no injuries they will come to the scene and will make sure all parties exchange info, and they leave it to the insurance adjusters to complete the invest.

mala in se
07-14-2009, 4:30 PM

-g

you can actually waive that portion of the coverage, but would have to sign the waiver. UM/UIM is a very small portion of the policy cost you should always ge the highest amount you can, which is whatever your liability coverage are.

B Strong
07-14-2009, 4:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. That truly sucks!

My husband was in a similar situation, but here in the Bay Area. He's on the way to the PD in our private truck and is about to exist 780 to enter 80. Out of nowhere, a crazed woman cuts him off and nearly takes off the front end of the truck.

Well, my guy lays on the horn, trying not to pancake her. He brakes in time not to rearend her. Seconds later, they're alongside him, and the female passenger (two crazy chicks together!) lobs a can of soda onto his windshield.

To make it short, my guy calls in the CHPies (after telling the dispatcher to get her damn supervisor on the line); they blue light those b*****s, find out the driver has outstanding warrants, no insurance either, expired tags, arrest her butt, and tow the car. The passenger had to hike it in the middle of No Man's Land.

Karma -- what goes around, comes around.

Best of luck to you... scumbags are like roaches and need a good dose of Raid.

That works great when you're a LEO or connected, but the general rule today is that if it doesn't involve "serious" injury, the agency involved does little to nothing about it, and will tell the victim that the case is a civil matter - and they drop it in the victim's lap.

Ask me.

Ron-Solo
07-14-2009, 4:55 PM
That works great when you're a LEO or connected, but the general rule today is that if it doesn't involve "serious" injury, the agency involved does little to nothing about it, and will tell the victim that the case is a civil matter - and they drop it in the victim's lap.

Ask me.

Your statement is way too broad for the subject matter. The policy varies by agency. Agencies are not required to take non-injury reports, with some exceptions. LASD handles both injury and non-injury reports, as well as reports on private property such as parking lots, which most agencies do not handle.

TooManyHobbies
07-16-2009, 2:23 PM

Welcome to California.

Apparently since my post could be misconstrued per the moderators, let me clarify:

I have read, and just reread the rules. I did not intend it in the least to be LE bashing.

I was addressing the actions of a individual officer from a specific department in how I believe he mishandled one specific, relevant situation. I do believe that this was simply a like situation to the O.P. and therefore relevant to the overall discussion of unlicensed drivers and how LE handles it. I, like the O.P., received quality information which will (well hopefully won't have to) assist me in the future.

I have enough immediate and extended family and friend in law enforcement to give respect, and additional deference where due.

Nothing posted was denigrating, insulting, or otherwise biased beyond the actual facts.

Oh, and to be clear, "Welcome to California" was in reference to the uninsured motorists.

HotRails
07-16-2009, 3:28 PM
Bottom line if you love a car don't drive it. Your daily should be something very replacable. As far as illegals go, we can't get rid of em until we get rid of minumum wage which is a political hot potato.

retired
07-16-2009, 3:53 PM
Apparently since my post could be misconstrued per the moderators, let me clarify:

I have read, and just reread the rules. I did not intend it in the least to be LE bashing.

I was addressing the actions of a individual officer from a specific department in how I believe he mishandled one specific, relevant situation. I do believe that this was simply a like situation to the O.P. and therefore relevant to the overall discussion of unlicensed drivers and how LE handles it. I, like the O.P., received quality information which will (well hopefully won't have to) assist me in the future.

I have enough immediate and extended family and friend in law enforcement to give respect, and additional deference where due.

Nothing posted was denigrating, insulting, or otherwise biased beyond the actual facts.

Oh, and to be clear, "Welcome to California" was in reference to the uninsured motorists.

I fully accept you did not intend to bash leos, but sometimes intentions and actions are two different things. Read the below:

READ THESE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
1. This forum is for Calguns LEO members and those who would like to ask questions in a civil manner.

2. This forum is to give our LEO members a place to share their stories, pictures and videos as well as answer serious questions from the membership.

3. This is NOT a place to air your dislike of the Government, Law Enforcement, LEOs in general or the law in general. Doing so here will result in losing access to this forum.

4. Post denigrating or insulting our LEO members will be removed and the poster will no longer be able to access this forum.

5. Questions for LEOs should be both civil and serious. Questions like 'Why do you thugs..' will get you removed and possibly banned. Frivolous questions will be deleted.

6. 'Cop Bashing' will NOT be tolerated in this forum at all.

These are the rules for this forum as posted by Kestryll. Since you believe you are not violating them, I have pasted them here and bolded the specific ones and parts that apply to your post. In fact, the bolded part of your post, is in violation of #1, #3 and #6.

Did you notice that #1 basically says this forum is for non leos to ask questions of leos. You have not asked a question, you have related an incident that occurred to you. That is not what this forum is for.

The OP related an incident and then asked a question of the active and retired leos here. He had to relate the incident, otherwise there would be no thread and no subsequent question without the necessary facts.

Furthermore, this part of your original post:

Cop REFUSED to do anything about it.. Why? Well.. it was a hispanic cop,

It is not only leo bashing, you are also throwing a bit of racism in there too.

I would suggest you reread the rules a few more times, so you completely understand what you can and cannot do in this forum.

TooManyHobbies
07-16-2009, 4:48 PM
I fully accept you did not intend to bash leos, but sometimes intentions and actions are two different things. Read the below:

These are the rules for this forum as posted by Kestryll. Since you believe you are not violating them, I have pasted them here and bolded the specific ones and parts that apply to your post. In fact, the bolded part of your post, is in violation of #1, #3 and #6.

Did you notice that #1 basically says this forum is for non leos to ask questions of leos. You have not asked a question, you have related an incident that occurred to you. That is not what this forum is for.

The OP related an incident and then asked a question of the active and retired leos here. He had to relate the incident, otherwise there would be no thread and no subsequent question without the necessary facts.

Furthermore, this part of your original post:

It is not only leo bashing, you are also throwing a bit of racism in there too.

I would suggest you reread the rules a few more times, so you completely understand what you can and cannot do in this forum.

I don't need to. I just won't post here anymore. Good job alienating another supporter.

I won't even respond to your racism comment because it's in poor taste... it was a prima facie situation...

But here's a question... is it SOP where you worked to release an intoxicated suspect in a possibly stolen vehicle with no identification, license, registration, etc, to drive away again? I think not. Find me another reason for the officer's "sympathy" and I'll withdraw my comment. Beyond that, the facts stand.

strangerdude
07-16-2009, 4:50 PM
As for as I know a hit and run with no injuries is a misdemeanor, she probably just got fined.

retired
07-16-2009, 5:18 PM
I just won't post here anymore

That is your decision. If you are unable to follow the rules, perhaps it is best that you do not. Thank you.

eltee
07-16-2009, 10:41 PM
But here's a question... is it SOP where you worked to release an intoxicated suspect in a possibly stolen vehicle with no identification, license, registration, etc, to drive away again? I think not. Find me another reason for the officer's "sympathy" and I'll withdraw my comment. Beyond that, the facts stand.

In your original description of the incident, I believe you described the other driver as "smells of beer." That does not establish intoxication. A cop with more than 2 weeks on the job can usually establish if a driver is a possible DUI within a few minutes post contact, and if there is a probability of that then further tests will establish whether or not he is.

Within minutes, a radio or computer check can determine if a car is stolen, currently registered, to whom and if a person provides verbal info (CDL #, full name, DOB, etc.) that can also be verified. The plate check is often done before exiting the patrol vehicle. Based on your account, this was only a fender bender (and thankfully neither you nor any companions was injured).

Here's the delio. If I let a drunk get back into the car and drive away because he's one of my homies, and he gets in a wreck I'm going to be in a legal nightmare. It has happened before and cops have been disciplined by the department, sued by injured parties, etc. Just because a suspected DUI/Car thief is from the mother country doesn't mean he's going to skate. Sure, it's possible, but not likely. Too much at stake. That cop knew you were there and had called for assistance in the first place. He put alot on the line if, in fact, he let a DUI in a stolen car simply drive away.

Superfly
07-21-2009, 9:13 AM
Here's an update on the OP.
My wife contacted the DMV (we still have not gotten the police report they are back logged) and she found out the other woman has already claimed that my wife hit her at another intersection 2 blks. before the actual site.
She said she thought that since her car was dented already, and it wasn't her fault, she wasn't going to do anything about the damages and kept going.
Since she claimed my wife hit her, we might have to go 50-50 even though we have uninsured with mercury. You see our only witness is my wifes sister. If my wife didn't have to chase her down they could have gotten a witness at the scene.
My guess is this woman has been down this road before and knows just what to do. I'll really be pissed if this woman get's her van fixed thru my insurance.
Thanks again for the reply's and advice.

Fire in the Hole
07-21-2009, 9:37 AM
Here's an update on the OP.
My wife contacted the DMV (we still have not gotten the police report they are back logged) and she found out the other woman has already claimed that my wife hit her at another intersection 2 blks. before the actual site.
She said she thought that since her car was dented already, and it wasn't her fault, she wasn't going to do anything about the damages and kept going.
Since she claimed my wife hit her, we might have to go 50-50 even though we have uninsured with mercury. You see our only witness is my wifes sister. If my wife didn't have to chase her down they could have gotten a witness at the scene.
My guess is this woman has been down this road before and knows just what to do. I'll really be pissed if this woman get's her van fixed thru my insurance.
Thanks again for the reply's and advice.

Wait until the police report comes out. This statement here, speaks volumes: "the other woman has already claimed that my wife hit her at another intersection 2 blks. before the actual site.
She said she thought that since her car was dented already, and it wasn't her fault, she wasn't going to do anything about the damages and kept going."

Let's see if this comment appears in her Statement section of the police rerport. Reguardless, she still has a legal dutly to stop at the allegeded "First contact accident, and not keep going. If she says this, she has just confessed to a misdemeanor crime, and she will be reeled in by her short curlies.

To wit:
Duty Where Property Damaged
20002. (a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists. Moving the vehicle in accordance with this subdivision does not affect the question of fault. The driver shall also immediately do either of the following:
(1) Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved and, upon locating the driver of any other vehicle involved or the owner or person in charge of any damaged property, upon being requested, present his or her driver's license, and vehicle registration, to the other driver, property owner, or person in charge of that property. The information presented shall include the current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner. If the registered owner of an involved vehicle is present at the scene, he or she shall also, upon request, present his or her driver's license information, if available, or other valid identification to the other involved parties.

(2) Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol.

(b) Any person who parks a vehicle which, prior to the vehicle again being driven, becomes a runaway vehicle and is involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, attended or unattended, shall comply with the requirements of this section relating to notification and reporting and shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable to the penalties of this section for failure to comply with the requirements.

(c) Any person failing to comply with all the requirements of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.

Hozr
07-27-2009, 2:05 PM
no LEO's in this thread?
but i cannot imagine that the person the OP is posting about drove away in that vehicle! she was walkin!

This is exactly my question. I was hit by an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured driver that wanted to give me a name and number and bolt. I said, "no, we're waiting for the police."

The officer showed up, took the report, wrote a citation(??) and they guy got in his car and drove away as I stared open mouthed at the officer whom asked, "do you have a problem?"

I said, "isn't that illegal? Driving without a license?"

He gave no response then got in the car and left me there to wait for the towtruck. I was 18 years old and left with a totaled car.

So, how can a LEO knowingly allow someone to CONTINUE to break the law?

Fire in the Hole
07-27-2009, 5:11 PM
This is exactly my question. I was hit by an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured driver that wanted to give me a name and number and bolt. I said, "no, we're waiting for the police."

The officer showed up, took the report, wrote a citation(??) and they guy got in his car and drove away as I stared open mouthed at the officer whom asked, "do you have a problem?"

I said, "isn't that illegal? Driving without a license?"

He gave no response then got in the car and left me there to wait for the towtruck. I was 18 years old and left with a totaled car.

So, how can a LEO knowingly allow someone to CONTINUE to break the law?

Depends on what year it was. In the 80's and prior, the law only allowed LE to cite and release unlicensed drivers. It always stuck in my crawl. It wasn't until later that LE was allowed to impound their vehicles. And believe me there was a lot of heated anti-campaigning by represenatives of minority districts. And them some LE agencies frowned on their officeres doing it, as it hadn't been tested yet. I jumped on it.

Fire in the Hole
08-01-2009, 7:27 PM
Well Superfly, surely this infamous report has been completed by now. So, what's the verdict. I don't need to see the whole report. Just mabey page 7or so, under the "CAUSE" section. Then the "Recommendations" section. There might be additioinal citation information under the "Other Factual Information" section.

Waiting with baited breath.

Superfly
08-03-2009, 6:04 PM
LA takes 12 weeks. Still have a month or so to go.
I am getting it fixed next week, I can't look or drive it this way any longer.
It is what it is...I just hope my rates don't go up to pay for her dents.

Fire in the Hole
08-03-2009, 6:21 PM
The time frame you quote is unbelievable to me. But I guess it is what it is. Please keep us posted.

A few years back I had a British Bobby go on a rede-along with me. He gave me a really cool Boby hat. He told me that in England, it is against the law and citeable to drive a vehicle on a public road with any dents or body damage visible. I found that...interesting.