PDA

View Full Version : .300 WSM vs .300 WM --- Sick em!

Jpach
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Today I came across some stuff on the FNH rifles with the chrome lined bbls and they seem to be the exception(acception?) to the whole chrome lining=not so accurate law. I have read many great things about them including .2something" groups test fired at the factory with these things.

Heres the kicker, I only see them in .308 and .300 WSM. I was thinking it would be nice to have it in .300 Win Mag though. If I reload, will the .300 WM even have an advantage over the WSM? I see on Wiki (I know, great source) that the WSM can have more velocity with the same weight bullets as the WM. Which is better in real life and why?

I would like to touch a minimum of 1K yards, and push it to the max. If the WSM is inferior to the WM, is it possible to get the FNH PSR or SPR chambered in .300 Win Mag as a custom option? Or can it be chambered in that period? Either way I would like to go with the best overall round.

Jonathan Doe
07-09-2009, 5:34 AM
300 WSM is ballistically virtually the same as 300 WM, but maybe with slightly less recoil. Don't need WM to shoot 1,000 yards.

Fjold
07-09-2009, 7:10 AM
Wiki is not the authority. If you look at www.hodgdons.com or any reloading manual.

The 300 WM will do 50 - 100 fps more velocity with most bullets (which is just a minor statistical blip) at 62,000 PSI while the 300WSM is loaded to SAAMI spec of 65,000 PSI.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

rksimple
07-09-2009, 7:26 AM
There are a few guys I've shot with that have the SPR's in 308 and they are not quarter minute rifles at all. Minute guns maybe. If you're going to shoot it a bunch, barrel life on the WSM is quite short, even with it chromed. But ballistically, the WSM is going to be the same as the WM. You just get the added advantage of a short action with the WSM.

cocorador
07-09-2009, 7:29 AM
I went through the same thing when I was having mine built. I went with the 300WSM because 190 grain bullets is the heaviest I will shoot. If you plan to shoot the heavier bullets, that do the 300 WM. Check out this link on the Rocket rifle by GA precision written up by Mike Miller. It helped me choose.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/RocketRock.asp

dfletcher
07-09-2009, 9:19 AM
I have a Savage 12 BVSS in 300 WSM, a Sig STR in 300 WM and an SPR in 308. The Sig has a brake and the Savage does not so direct recoil comparison is a guess - the Savage weighs about 15 lbs, the Sig brake isn't the best so maybe that evens things out - but the 300 WM does belt you a bit more and it does put out slightly more fps, especially in the heavier bullets.

The SPR in 308 is I suppose the one I'd like to shoot all day, but I think the 308 is a "just barely" 1,000 yd round, correct? And is shooting 1K yds going to be the routine or a once in a blue moon affair, with 90% of use at 100 yds?

If I were going to get into rebarreling an SPR I think I'd make it a 260 Remington. If I were going to use any of the above "as is" for 1K I'd go with the Savage 12.

swerv512
07-09-2009, 6:10 PM
300WM = lower pressures and more case capacity than a 300WSM loaded to the same performance standards. It should be easier to push a heavier bullet further with the 300WM.

Jpach
07-09-2009, 7:43 PM
Sweeet. I guess Ill definitely be going with the WSM sometime soonish then. Thanks!

Jpach
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
There are a few guys I've shot with that have the SPR's in 308 and they are not quarter minute rifles at all. Minute guns maybe. If you're going to shoot it a bunch, barrel life on the WSM is quite short, even with it chromed. But ballistically, the WSM is going to be the same as the WM. You just get the added advantage of a short action with the WSM.

How do you know this? Do you know someone with an SPR in .300 WSM that has shot out their barrel? Wouldnt the chrome lining help a decent amount with barrel life?

rksimple
07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Chrome or not, even if you were to double the standard barrel life, you're still looking at 4k rounds or so. And its just a degredation in accuracy you'll see. When you start with a moa rifle, accuracy may fall off more quickly to below your standards than when you start with a quarter minute rifle.

coop44
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh well another pissing contest, "best" is subjective. "Best" is the one you shoot better with, it may not be some one elses best. Personally I think it's(WSM cartridges) just another marketing gimmick cooked up by manufacturers who are pressured by the market to come up with something new.

God Bless The Mauser
07-10-2009, 4:28 PM
I've fired .300WSM and it's a hot round, made the K98 seem like nothing. If I were to get one of the two it would be .300WM since it's a more common round.