PDA

View Full Version : Need a new combination gun safe

offrdmania
07-08-2009, 8:22 PM
Looking for a fire rated 20-24 gun combination lock safe for under $1000. Please let me know what has worked for you and what hasnt. Ive read horror stories about electronic locks and thats why I think I want to go with the old proven combination lock. But with combination locks it seems some feel cheap loose and hard to turn whereas other are nice and easy with a solid roll. I appreciate any good help and direction for a quality safe which will last for years to come.

CAGNR
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I would spend some more coin and get a Liberty gun safe. They are one of the top two for fire protection and security features.

Once A Marine
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
for the size you need, with fire protection, you're looking at more than 1K, or you can go with a safe that says "20 rifles" around that 1K mark and 30-60 minutes of sheet rock type fire protection (though it will be a challenge to actually stuff 20 in there).

If price is your limiting factor, the AMSEC TF or SF series might work for you.

matrix056
07-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I know you want to avoid the electronic lock, but I bought my "Winchester" safe at costco. It is manufactured by Granite safe co. It was $499, holds up to 24 long guns. Heres the link....
http://winchestersafes.com/legend.html
59 x 28 x 22

rksimple
07-09-2009, 6:48 AM
Check out Sun Welding Safes. Not bad for the money.

Palindari
07-09-2009, 6:54 AM
I've got an American Security - can't tell you the exact dimensions off hand, but it's big enough a top shelf and two areas to stack rifles comfortably (or you can install shelves in one of the areas.

It cost me $820 about 5 months ago.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-09-2009, 7:28 AM
I got he "Executive Safe" made by Cannon from CostCo for under 1000.00. It is huge, 6' tall and over 3' wide. Includes delivery to the curb, too.

I had an AmSec, too. It was ok, but the fire rating was a bit low for my tastes. Sold it a few months after I got my new safe. I still need another safe, though, and think I will try to get a scratch and dent Liberty safe.

K5Cruiser
07-09-2009, 9:54 AM
Call and talk to a few safe dealers. You'll find that the electronic locks have come a long way since when they were first introduced, and are much better quality now. I used to think the way you do about them, until I did some research recently and talked to a few different people in the safe business. I'm now changed over to liking the electronic locks.

swerv512
07-09-2009, 4:55 PM
+1 on the AmSec safes. i have one and was pleased enough with it. Sure, there are better and more robust safes out there, but i sleep well enough knowing that i'm doing my part....

offrdmania
07-09-2009, 8:31 PM
I will check it out, there is a dealer down the freeway from me. Thanks

for the size you need, with fire protection, you're looking at more than 1K, or you can go with a safe that says "20 rifles" around that 1K mark and 30-60 minutes of sheet rock type fire protection (though it will be a challenge to actually stuff 20 in there).

If price is your limiting factor, the AMSEC TF or SF series might work for you.

offrdmania
07-09-2009, 8:32 PM
Have you guys ever heard of "Stillwater" safes?

bayarea1911
07-09-2009, 8:42 PM
Picked one up from costco for $500 last night, and its huge. I feel like I got a great deal

SunriseF150
07-09-2009, 8:58 PM
Check out Sturdy Safe in Fresno, or go to Tractor Supply and pick up a Cannon. The Sturdy Safe's use thicker metal and are hard to beat as far as security goes.

BroncoBob
07-09-2009, 9:05 PM
Check out Auto Life Outdoors in Modesto. They have a good collection of safes close to you. Here is an old web add link.

http://www.autolifeinc.com/downloads/GunSafeAccessories.pdf

Blue
07-09-2009, 9:08 PM
I would spend some more coin and get a Liberty gun safe. They are one of the top two for fire protection and security features.

I spent like $1200 on a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. It's almost big enough.

offrdmania
07-09-2009, 9:14 PM
Thanks Bob, I didnt even think of them!

i_kai
07-09-2009, 9:16 PM
as far as i know, amsec's are pretty good. the one i just got feels pretty smooth and it's (i believe) 30 min fire proof. check these guys out, pretty nice group of people and decent price. for the one that i got, had quotes from as high as $1300 to as low as $650. ended up paying $750 tax, delivery, bolt down included.

http://www.francossafesandvaults.com/

ask for jesse, he's the owner and very nice guy!

bombadillo
07-09-2009, 9:19 PM
My "24" long gun capacity safe is in reality about 12-16 if i'm cramming them in there. I fit about 6 guns per side without them banging around each other pretty bad. It has the capacity to fit 24 ruger 10/22's in there pretty well but outside of that, anything with a pistol grip, large buttstock, or scope you're taking up 2-3 spaces in the rack without them clanging against one another. If you put them all in gun socks and placed them in there you'd probably be fine.

offrdmania
07-09-2009, 9:34 PM
Thanks I Kai

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-10-2009, 6:53 AM
Amsec, Liberty, Cannon all make good safes in that price range. And the only time you really see problems with electronic locks is from people mis treating them, IE when changing bateries letting the face plate fall and let it hand by wires, or they are on a cheap safe anyway, seriously how much quality can you expect from a 400 safe.

if you get a good La Gard Basic, La gard Hybrid, S&G lock your going to be pretty well off with electronics.