PDA

View Full Version : Muzzlebrake purchase and trouble extracting in my Rem700

Lazy eye
07-08-2009, 6:54 PM
Hey,

So I'm looking to do a couple mods to my 700 LTR.

1. add a detachable magazine
Looks like Badger is the way to go, but because it will require inletting, suggestions on who to go to to have that done would be appreciated. I live in Fremont (Bay Area).

2. add a muzzlebrake
Mostly to reduce recoil and cause it looks cool. However, I've read that it increase the volume of the blast beyond the ability of even double hearing protection to keep your ears safe. Any other suggestions on reducing recoil?

3. I've got some surplus german ammo that shoots pretty tight, but it's difficult to raise the knob to the point where I have to come up and really grab hold of the knob and really tug to rotate up. Pulling back is ok. Should I stop shooting these rounds?

On a side note, is there any place closer than Sac Valley to shoot longer than 100 yds, and get some training on shooting long distance?

Thanks, and my rifle pic is in my sig, if anyone has any other suggestion for upgrades

NRAhighpowershooter
07-08-2009, 7:26 PM
Hey,

On a side note, is there any place closer than Sac Valley to shoot longer than 100 yds, and get some training on shooting long distance?

Thanks, and my rifle pic is in my sig, if anyone has any other suggestion for upgrades

Chabot has Range 8 (200yds) it will be open for the public this Saturday 9am up until 1pm(actually every 2nd Saturday)

The 200yd line is also open every Friday 10am until 12:30ish

supermario
07-08-2009, 7:26 PM
I wonder if it would cost the same to just buy a new Rem 700 SPS DM (Detachable Mag), Because i think the badger kit and gunsmithing work would probably cost alot. I ask becus I basically want the same as you for mine. I have an 700 ADL and i want a detachable mag and muzzle brake. Im in LA so i will probably take my rifle to Randall from AR15 Barrels.

Lazy eye
07-08-2009, 7:36 PM
Chabot has Range 8 (200yds) it will be open for the public this Saturday 9am up until 1pm(actually every 2nd Saturday)

The 200yd line is also open every Friday 10am until 12:30ish

Sweet, thanks! I'm gonna check that out as soon as I get back into Cali.

Trapper
07-08-2009, 7:40 PM
The lock up on the Badger kit is far superior to the factory Remington detachable mag and worth the extra money IMHO.
I went with a Vias brake on my 300wm Sendero, recoil is reduced with out a noticeable increase in noise. Total cost for the brake and thread protector was $240.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0823.jpg

Lazy eye
07-08-2009, 9:03 PM
The lock up on the Badger kit is far superior to the factory Remington detachable mag and worth the extra money IMHO.
I went with a Vias brake on my 300wm Sendero, recoil is reduced with out a noticeable increase in noise. Total cost for the brake and thread protector was $240.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0823.jpg

Does that include getting it attached to the barrel?

Trapper
07-09-2009, 8:19 AM
Yes, the barrel was threaded for the brake which can be removed for cleaning or hunting.

Barney Gumble
07-09-2009, 8:29 AM
3. I've got some surplus german ammo that shoots pretty tight, but it's difficult to raise the knob to the point where I have to come up and really grab hold of the knob and really tug to rotate up. Pulling back is ok. Should I stop shooting these rounds?

Your German surplus is mostly likely 7.62 NATO ammo which can have a slightly larger headspace than .308-spec ammo. I tried a few rounds of surplus 7.62 in my 700 and had the same issue so I stopped shooting it because I was worried about getting a case stuck in the chamber. I figured I'd save money shooting surplus but it's not worth it...I don't put that many rounds downrange with my 700 anyway, and it's so accurate that I'd rather just shoot match ammo.

Trapper
07-09-2009, 8:39 AM
Here's a picture or the brake, removal tool and thread protector.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0837.jpg
and the threaded barrel
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0847.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0849.jpg

X-NewYawker
07-09-2009, 8:50 AM
Does the Seekins detachable mag floorplate require in-letting the stock or is it a drop in affair? I hadn't heard that badger (the standard) needed work done to install.

I use the Surefire muzzle brake on my 308s I find that they really decrease felt recoil and I have not noticed an increase in the muzzle blast sound but I always use ProEars muffs.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rooker.jpg
Your ammo sounds like it is giving you higher than civilian spec pressure.

Barney Gumble
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Btw I have the HS Precision DBM setup on my 700 and it works great. It was installed by the rifle's previous owner and I understand it required some fitting but not much.

Lazy eye
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the tips on the Vias and the Surefire. I need to look into the Surefire brake a bit more.

I'm gonna take it easy on using the German surplus, just in case.

X-NewYawker, the Seekins DM looks really nice, but they said they're the only ones that use a button to release the mag. How do the other brands release?

Barney: I've heard that the hs can be loose or even have mags fall out (yes, I know it's all internet hearsay, but I figured just go for sure thing) I'll look into it more.

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I hadn't heard that badger (the standard) needed work done to install.

haha, REALLY?

ANY stock with a BDL inlet will need inletting for a badger to fit.
The only stocks that can be purchased to fit badger bottom metal are going to be custom ordered from companies like mcmillan or manners.

I'm not aware of any factory produced stocks that would accept a badger bottom metal.

Any HS stocks with BDL inlet will accept the HS bottom metal.

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
the Seekins DM looks really nice, but they said they're the only ones that use a button to release the mag. How do the other brands release?

lever or paddle.

Stockton
07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Few bottom metal makers that have great reps and all can use the AI mags:
Badger
CDI
HS Precision

Vias brake by badger is really good....except when shooting in dirt and sand....the ports are 360deg around and they do kick it up in the loose stuff. There are work arounds to that though.

Another great break without the problem of the Vias is the FTE. Ports are to the right and left. Can also be taken on and off for cleaning.

Barney Gumble
07-09-2009, 1:21 PM
Barney: I've heard that the hs can be loose or even have mags fall out (yes, I know it's all internet hearsay, but I figured just go for sure thing) I'll look into it more.

LOL...well I only have experience with mine and the only time the mags fall out is when I push the mag release. :D It's tight as a drum.

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 2:36 PM
Few bottom metal makers that have great reps and all can use the AI mags:
Badger
CDI
HS Precision

Vias brake by badger is really good....except when shooting in dirt and sand....the ports are 360deg around and they do kick it up in the loose stuff. There are work arounds to that though.

Another great break without the problem of the Vias is the FTE. Ports are to the right and left. Can also be taken on and off for cleaning.

me thinks mac is confoosed.

The HS bottom metal only takes HS mags.
Badger and CDI take AI mags.

The Vias brake is made by Vias
Badger makes the thruster and FTE.

rksimple
07-09-2009, 3:31 PM
Good info above. I'd go with a thruster brake from Badger. Economical and the ports are slightly biased upward to minimize ground blast. The Vias kicks up much more by comparison.

swerv512
07-09-2009, 4:48 PM
i keep hearing about how the HS DM system has faults but only with the position of the mag release button itself. it uses the stock floorplate release button, correct? nothing wrong with that IMHO, just takes time to get proficient with- just like everything else on your rifle....
Now, if i had a Mcmillan or AI, i'd go Badger. but why inlet if you dont have to?

Stockton
07-09-2009, 5:00 PM
me thinks mac is confoosed.

The HS bottom metal only takes HS mags.
Badger and CDI take AI mags.

The Vias brake is made by Vias
Badger makes the thruster and FTE.

Mac agrees with you.....seriously... Thank you for correcting my info! Been a long day and other than that I have no excuse....LOL

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 6:44 PM
i keep hearing about how the HS DM system has faults but only with the position of the mag release button itself. it uses the stock floorplate release button, correct? nothing wrong with that IMHO, just takes time to get proficient with- just like everything else on your rifle....
Now, if i had a Mcmillan or AI, i'd go Badger. but why inlet if you dont have to?

You hear about HS problems more from people that DON'T have them than from people that DO have them.
That's because they read about it on the internet and it must be true...

The only issue I have with the HS is that the 10rd mag rattles.
This is a non-issue for me, but it bothers some people who worry about the wrong kinds of things.

The HS release is inside the triggerguard like a drop floorplate, but it's an HS part, not a stock remington bottom metal.

The HS stocks provided by remington accept the HS bottom metal.
You can also inlet an HS stock for badger bottom metal, but that's more trouble than it's probably worth because you have to inlet the aluminum bedding block.

If you are ordering a custom stock from McMillan or Manners, just get the badger inlet and call it done.

X-NewYawker
07-09-2009, 7:34 PM
haha, REALLY?

ANY stock with a BDL inlet will need inletting for a badger to fit.
The only stocks that can be purchased to fit badger bottom metal are going to be custom ordered from companies like mcmillan or manners.

I'm not aware of any factory produced stocks that would accept a badger bottom metal.

Any HS stocks with BDL inlet will accept the HS bottom metal.

Never had a badger (or added one to an existing gun.) had DM HS takedown tactical and AICS, but always saw Badgers offered as an option from custom gunmakers who said "replace floorplate with Badger" So I assumed it was a drop in affair.

Waiting for JAE M700 stock that takes AI mags...

X-NewYawker
07-09-2009, 7:35 PM
And never had a problem with my HS (these guns were from the days when they were built on 700s, not their own new action. I haven't shot the new guns, and with Lon Horichi on their ads, I don't think I will

rksimple
07-09-2009, 8:07 PM
Lon Horichi and HS...just another reason to pass on ANYTHING HS.

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 8:38 PM
Here's my HS bottom metal after I massaged the release button a little:

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/hs-mag-release.jpg

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/hs-mag-release2.jpg

Lazy eye
07-09-2009, 8:46 PM
lever or paddle.

Have you used or installed a seekins DM?

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 8:51 PM
Have you used or installed a seekins DM?

No, though I am supposed to be getting one for my 223 build someday...

Lazy eye
07-09-2009, 8:57 PM
Dang, cause I really like the idea of a button DM. Of course, having a button operated magazine release would be sure to give some anti a fit, regardless of the fact that it's on a bolt action and it would still be 10 round mag anyway.

M1A Rifleman
07-09-2009, 8:59 PM
As was mentioned the problem may be the difference between a 308 chamber and a 7.62 Nato round. Difficulty in extraction is a sign of over pressure. What does the fired case look like ? Flat primers and extractor marks on the case head? Try some std factory ammo and see what happens.

ar15barrels
07-09-2009, 9:04 PM
As was mentioned the problem may be the difference between a 308 chamber and a 7.62 Nato round. Difficulty in extraction is a sign of over pressure. What does the fired case look like ? Flat primers and extractor marks on the case head? Try some std factory ammo and see what happens.

7.62x51 ammo runs at lower operating pressure than 308.