PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Moving to CA, AW/CCW/Handgun Questions

Adventurer_96
02-07-2005, 5:57 PM
OK, first off let me say how glad I was to find this forum. I thought all gun owners had left CA! Just kidding. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I got word last week that I'm going to be transferred to Edwards AFB, and now I'm scrambling as I'm a multiple AW and handgun owner, and I want to find out how to move into the state.

I'm going to contact CA DOJ in the near future to find out if there's a way to register my AWs to bring them into the state as a military member. I'm reading through a couple of threads here about military members bringing AWs into the state, and I'm waiting to hear from a couple of guys.

Second, CCW in Lancaster/Palmdale. I know that according to packing.org Kern County has a good record of giving out CCW permits, but Lancaster/Palmdale are in LA County. Am I out of luck again?

Third, the DOJ site states that you have to register handguns coming into the state at $19 a pop. Can I go to a dealer w/the whole lot and do a mass registration for less? I'm also going to have to think about what handguns to get before going to the state that aren't on the list.

I'm looking forward to seeing CA but I have to admit that I'm a bit frustrated trying to envision keeping up my shooting hobby in CA. At least I'm from MA, so I'm used to being demonized! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance for any info you folks may have. I tried reading through the archives but couldn't find answers to my questions.

Adventurer_96
02-07-2005, 5:57 PM
OK, first off let me say how glad I was to find this forum. I thought all gun owners had left CA! Just kidding. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I got word last week that I'm going to be transferred to Edwards AFB, and now I'm scrambling as I'm a multiple AW and handgun owner, and I want to find out how to move into the state.

I'm going to contact CA DOJ in the near future to find out if there's a way to register my AWs to bring them into the state as a military member. I'm reading through a couple of threads here about military members bringing AWs into the state, and I'm waiting to hear from a couple of guys.

Second, CCW in Lancaster/Palmdale. I know that according to packing.org Kern County has a good record of giving out CCW permits, but Lancaster/Palmdale are in LA County. Am I out of luck again?

Third, the DOJ site states that you have to register handguns coming into the state at $19 a pop. Can I go to a dealer w/the whole lot and do a mass registration for less? I'm also going to have to think about what handguns to get before going to the state that aren't on the list.

I'm looking forward to seeing CA but I have to admit that I'm a bit frustrated trying to envision keeping up my shooting hobby in CA. At least I'm from MA, so I'm used to being demonized! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance for any info you folks may have. I tried reading through the archives but couldn't find answers to my questions.

02-07-2005, 6:42 PM
Are you in the military? If so, you can bring your AW's with you. If not, leave them with family until you get back.

If you need a good dealer, try High Desert Storm in Palmdale (661)265-0101. You'll need to register your guns within 60 days if I remember correctly.

Let us know when you get here, I live in Lancaster and a few others live in the A.V. Don't worry about keeping up on shooting, there's more places to shoot in SoCal then you can keep up with. Plus you won't be far from the desert if you want to do some long distance shooting.

Mike Searson
02-07-2005, 6:46 PM
Bring as many non approved handguns as possible with you for resale and you could do well financially.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seriously...the laws suck out here...but I don't think it's as bad as MA in some regards.

Adventurer_96
02-07-2005, 7:24 PM
Thanks for the repiles, a quick search helped me find a couple of guys who have some info.

I hadn't thought about bringing handguns with me in that regard until today. I had a guy email me asking if I'd bring him a pistol, I've never met the guy but I guess I can understand his angst from having dealt with CA laws so far.

With a mass transfer through a dealer, is there a per-gun fee?

I'm looking forward to shooting out there, I need to get better at long range.

MA laws are crazy, and in many ways the same as you guys. There are bans, but you could own stuff without registration (as far as AWs go) if you move in AFAIK. But, a pistol permit is issued by the local chief, and it's totally discretionary. Sound familiar? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Adventurer_96
02-07-2005, 7:35 PM
How serious is the threat of confiscation to you people who have registered AWs?

I've got friends out of state who could hold on to them for me, but I enjoy shooting my weapons when I can so I'd hate to put them in cold storage only to be seen every six months if it can be helped. I'm not crazy about the idea of registering (read the first sentence in this post) but if it lets me keep them at mi casa then it sounds like it would be worth it.

El Capitan
02-07-2005, 8:04 PM
Ditto on what that guy above said about bringing in any non-ca approved handguns. Once you've registered them, we can legally purchase them from you in state.

rkt88edmo
02-07-2005, 8:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adventurer_96:
With a mass transfer through a dealer, is there a per-gun fee? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not an FFL but I'm pretty sure that each handgun must be reg'd separately, and the state fee to do so would be &gt;19$/per gun.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-07-2005, 9:36 PM
Yeah, the only way to register your handguns when you move into the state is by paying $19 per handgun. No volume discounts.

You can register them by completing and mailing in this form to CalDOJ...

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

You can put up to three handguns on one form, but you still have to pay $19 per gun.

50 Freak
02-08-2005, 4:17 AM
buying handguns from out of state and selling them to Cali residents once you move in is perfectly legal.

Here is the link stating so

http://justice.hdcdojnet.state.ca.us/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf

I don't know much about MA gun laws but can tell you here in Cali, there is absolutely no way to bring in a registered or unregistered AW (unless it is neutered (like the Fab-10, or you are military or LEO with written permission). Only those who have them already grandfathered in can legally posess them. And we who do own legal AW's here in Cali, cannot even lend them to you.

I personally don't think there will be any consification in the future, the state is too bankrupt as it is to be able to afford to purchase all those legally owned and registered AW's from us Cali residents. And if they start knocking on the doors at night, it will only be a short time before Cali AW residents will start answering with bullets. No politician Rep or Dem wants that scenario.

As for handguns, other than the stupid CA drop test requirements (aka, legal blackmail of the handgun industry) there really isn't any restrictions. Other than you register all owned handguns (minus some excempted ones like blackpowder and really really old ones).

Also, as for CCW, where exactly are you moving to? If it's to LA or SF, forget about it. You practically have to get in a gun fight in order to prove that you need one (I'm not kidding, true story from one of our members). As for getting CCW's from smaller counties, it is very possible. I personally am proof of that as many others on this board.

imported_EOD Guy
02-08-2005, 5:33 AM
There are provisions for a military member temporarily assigned to California to obtain an assault weapons permit. The permit must be obtained before you import the "assault weapons" and there is a fee involved. Also, the permit must be renewed each year.

I would contact Cal DOJ in order to see what is required and so you can determine for yourself if it is worth it to you.

bwiese
02-08-2005, 9:19 AM
Adventurer_96...

Handguns: You have 60 days (?) to register your handguns as you are a 'personal handgun importer'. You won't save money going thru a dealer, and may cost you. Just get the form off the CA DOJ Firearms Div. website and pay the fees. I know $19/gun is terrible but it is what it is.

AWs: There's been some changes so that active duty military can bring in their personal AWs. You have to do some special paperwork with DOJ. (I used to think this was illegal/not in the law but was proved wrong awhile back.) Other may know more here but I'd recommend you get the paperwork squared away before you bring in your AWs.

Hicap Magazines: Don't bring in hicap magazines (those holding more than 10 rds) for any gun, AWs or Glock or Sig, etc. Even if you have that DOJ AW permit for military personnel, I don't think it extends to hicap magazines!!

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Rascal
02-08-2005, 5:28 PM
Advnenture-96,
Glad you made it over here from THR.
These guys can help you out, as I already see.
All is not lost as far as your weapons are concerned, while you are stationed here.. You just have to jump throught a few loops to get your weapons here.
I believe that Bill is correct on the over 10 round mags, but I would check with CAL DOJ when you ask about the forms for your AW's, just to be sure. Maybe they will permit them for your Aw's, but I wouldn't count on it. It doesn't hurt to ask.
If you have any other questions about Kali Laws, just fire away. These guys are pretty sharp, but as always, if in doubt, ask CAL DOJ, and get it in writing. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

Adventurer_96
02-08-2005, 6:52 PM
Great replies, thanks.

I haven't been able to contact DOJ yet about this, but I received an email with some scanned forms from the DOJ regarding AW permits for military moving to the state.

I'll have to make sure to ask about the magazine issue since I shoot highpower.

More to follow. I have to admit that when I got word of my assignment I was scared *****less that I would have to kiss my firearms goodbye for a few years. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Mike Searson
02-08-2005, 6:58 PM
Any word on when the President is going to drop SF behind the lines to help liberate us from the Caliban?

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AntiBubba 2.1
02-08-2005, 8:13 PM
Hey-pick up one of those Zastava 70s-the .32. We can only buy from a private citizen, not from a dealer. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

California has a "drop test". The manufacturers have to submit each model for "testing". Let's say you have a S&W .357 revolver, 6" barrel, blued. You submit your three samples, and pay the fees for "testing". The gun "passes". Guess what? A Stainless version is considered a different gun. A 4" barrel? Different gun. Every single variation requires it's own "testing"! Oh, and if a manufacturer doesn't pay the renewal fees, that gun is no longer "safe" for sale in this state! It's a complete scam.

However, if someone moves to California with firearms that are no longer on the list, he may sell that firearm to another Californian. Keep in mind, he MAY NOT sell the gun directly to another person, but must do a transfer through an FFL, with all the attendant fees.

Are you sure you don't just want to go AWOL? It might be less frustrating.

striker3
02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
On the issue of High-cap mags, when I called and requested the forms form the DOJ, I asked them that question. The answer seemed kind of a grey area, but the agent finally said that it would be ok as long as they were only for the regesitered AW.

What scared me is that he seemed unsure about the answer. I personally would try to get something in writting from the DOJ saying that bringing in mags along with the AW is good to go.

Adventurer_96
02-13-2005, 9:44 PM
striker3, good advice. I hope to have the time to call them this week. I need to ask about rifle mags, as well as pistol mags. It would seem to me that if I were to bring in a Glock 19, for example, with a 15-round mag that is legal in another state, it would be legal to keep it with the pistol. But, that's a big assumption.

It looks like I'll be moving into Kern County, so CCW is a definite possibility. The mag issue will help determine what handgun I carry.

By the way, that's the silliest clause about CCW in my opinion. /rant off...

bwiese
02-14-2005, 1:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On the issue of High-cap mags, when I called and requested the forms form the DOJ, I asked them that question. The answer seemed kind of a grey area, but the agent finally said that it would be ok as long as they were only for the regesitered AW. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would NOT trust that advice. I will delve into this when I can, but I do NOT recall seeing ANY linkage in AW reg law, military possession, etc. with hicap magazine ownership for non-LEOs.

I believe an attorney would tell you this too.

There is separate hicap mag paperwork but that just may be for dealer.

Bill W
San Jose

bwiese
02-14-2005, 1:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I need to ask about rifle mags, as well as pistol mags.

It would seem to me that if I were to bring in a Glock 19, for example, with a 15-round mag that is legal in another state, it would be legal to keep it with the pistol. But, that's a big assumption. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For now let's just put aside the Assault Weapon issue and related hicap mags permission...

DON'T BRING IN HICAPS FOR ANY NON-AW. IF YOU'RE MOVING TO CA ON OR AFTER 1/1/2000 YOU CAN'T BRING IN HICAPS.

Non-AW guns that accept hicaps are perfectly legal, but you need 10 rd mags. And you have 60 days to register any handguns brought in.

Bill W
San Jose

striker3
02-14-2005, 3:59 PM
I specifically asked about bringing in High-caps for other weapons, and was told a flat no. Also as I stated earlier, I would not try to bring regular mags into the state for an AW without some kind of legal document giving me proof.

Adventurer_96
02-27-2005, 8:29 PM
I won't be able to contact them for another couple of weeks as I'm in Alabama for a bit. When I get a moment, I'll call.

Hopefully, this AW repeal will go well, and this will become a non-issue. Would that address the 15-round mag issue?

bwiese
02-28-2005, 9:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adventurer_96 wrote:
Hopefully, this AW repeal will go well, and this will become a non-issue. Would that address the 15-round mag issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no 15-round issue. It's a 10-round issue: "hicap" mags in CA have more than 10 rounds.

Also mag ban elminiation would depend on how La Seur's bill is written... BUT:

...... I hate to be a killjoy, but please don't get your hopes up AT ALL. This bill simply doesn't have a chance in hell.

(Besides, most proposed bills die anyway.)

Just because Jay La Seur proposed the bill doesn't mean it will even get out of committee. And it has to pass both in the State Senate and the Assembly, and then conference committees have to 'agree' the bill in both houses - if slightly differing bills in both houses (usu. the case, as I recall) can't be resolved, it then dies "in conference" - even if both houses passed it.

The Gov has to sign it. He won't, effectively vetoing it. And given composition of our two legislative bodies there's no chance of overriding.

Also, Don Perata, even while occupied w/his legal issues, is still President Pro Tem of state Senate and is very, very powerful. If bill is close to making it out of Senate votewise, he can do all sorts of procedural motions to stop it/kill it/amend it to death.

AWs are toast in CA at least until computerized redistricting takes place, if ever.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Adventurer_96
03-01-2005, 6:23 PM
By 15-round issue I meant to ask whether the magazine capacity issue is tied to the AW ban, like the former federal law. Thanks. I'm a pessimist as well, but then I was proven wrong by the fed ban dying. Different, I know, for many reasons, but we'll have to keep trying.

El Capitan
03-01-2005, 6:36 PM
Unfortunately, the Federal AWB sunset applied only to the United States.

For all matters concerning California, you need contact Beijing. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

Rascal
03-01-2005, 6:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adventurer_96 wrote:
Hopefully, this AW repeal will go well, and this will become a non-issue. Would that address the 15-round mag issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no 15-round issue. It's a 10-round issue: "hicap" mags in CA have more than 10 rounds.

Also mag ban elminiation would depend on how La Seur's bill is written... BUT:

...... I hate to be a killjoy, but please don't get your hopes up AT ALL. This bill simply doesn't have a chance in hell.

(Besides, most proposed bills die anyway.)

Just because Jay La Seur proposed the bill doesn't mean it will even get out of committee. And it has to pass both in the State Senate and the Assembly, and then conference committees have to 'agree' the bill in both houses - if slightly differing bills in both houses (usu. the case, as I recall) can't be resolved, it then dies "in conference" - even if both houses passed it.

The Gov has to sign it. He won't, effectively vetoing it. And given composition of our two legislative bodies there's no chance of overriding.

Also, Don Perata, even while occupied w/his legal issues, is still President Pro Tem of state Senate and is very, very powerful. If bill is close to making it out of Senate votewise, he can do all sorts of procedural motions to stop it/kill it/amend it to death.

AWs are toast in CA at least until computerized redistricting takes place, if ever.

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
This bill will die, because we, as gun owners, won't do anything about it, because "WE" believe that it is already dead. "Why should I waste my time, if no one else is going to write and urge my representitive to vote for this?" "They won't listen to us." " I'm only one guy, they aren't going to listen to me." We manifest what we believe.
The only reason that Kali GOV listens to the gun grabbers, is because they don't stop. We shouldn't either. You have to think positive in order to be positive. Yes it may not happen right now, but if "WE" continue to present our voice, it can happen. We have been on the defensive for way too long. This is an offensive move, and we must continue to be on the offensive, if we are to become victorious.
Thanks for listening.
&lt;Gets off soapbox&gt;